whats the point in tv you can't understand

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

whats the point in tv you can't understand

Post by jazzsinger »

why not just watch bbc and itv,they broadcast enough foreign crap anyway. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Banned Account
JE-WV1

RE: whats the point in tv you can

Post by JE-WV1 »

It must be the thrill of the DX path it's taken, because if it was as simple as dialling in a number on Sky to watch it I don't think anyone would bother!
a2c39a
Regular
Regular

RE: whats the point in tv you can

Post by a2c39a »

Hi All,

I watch Euro TV for the music channels. Perhaps you don't realise that 90% of Euro songs (that never make it anywhere near the UK, after all we are 100 light years from Europe and only a stones throw from the USA :-k ) are sung in English (yes, English not USAish :D ). I like Dance music so I watch European TV. \:D/

Best wishes, John.
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: whats the point in tv you can't understand

Post by Panteneman »

jazzsinger wrote:why not just watch bbc and itv,they broadcast enough foreign crap anyway. :wink: :lol: :lol:
#

Well,

If you are talking about the realms of TV-DX, and not a Satellite TV setup, then it's the buzz of getting TV reception from somewhere that is well outside of its intended area. :roll:

TV-DX is a marmite hobby, you either get it, or you don't. It appears that you subscribe to the latter theory. Meh! :roll:
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Re: whats the point in tv you can't understand

Post by jazzsinger »

why not just watch bbc and itv,they broadcast enough foreign crap anyway. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Well,

If you are talking about the realms of TV-DX, and not a Satellite TV setup, then it's the buzz of getting TV reception from somewhere that is well outside of its intended area. :roll:
probably a bigger challenge getting analogue ch4 or ch5 reception.
Banned Account
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Get a better TV aerial then! :lol:

Mind you, I have a 600ft "mole hill" in my way that can hinder TV reception, so I know what you mean there George...
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Post by jazzsinger »

Panteneman wrote:Get a better TV aerial then! :lol:

Mind you, I have a 600ft "mole hill" in my way that can hinder TV reception, so I know what you mean there George...
lol,i don't have reception problems,i have cable.but many people do.i just don't understand why people would want to receive dx tv,theres enough crap on terrestrial here and if thats not enough for a nominal fee you can get multitudes of crap piped in via cable or satellite with quality reception without having to set up expensive dx tv setups for what is at best sporadic reception. :? :?
Banned Account
a2c39a
Regular
Regular

Post by a2c39a »

Hi All,

TV DX need not be expensive. The thrill of receiving something not intended for reception so far away is one of the reasons it is fun. During a lift I like to watch European TV signals (or listen to Euro radio signals) so that their trip to the UK is not wasted! :D

Even with satellite TV reception there is the thrill of watching something not intended for you (once you have correctly 'adjusted' the system so that the signal is received 'clearly'!!). :wink:

As said before, I like Euro music, not UK/USA. \:D/

Also, I watch very very little TV (almost no UK TV at all) but I do enjoy tinkering with receiving TV signals, now that's far more fun. :roll:

Best wishes, John.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

why use CB when you can easily use a mobile phone or landline? :D
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Post by jazzsinger »

fez wrote:why use CB when you can easily use a mobile phone or landline? :D
spoken like a true ham :wink: :lol: :lol:
Banned Account
a2c39a
Regular
Regular

Post by a2c39a »

jazzsinger wrote:
fez wrote:why use CB when you can easily use a mobile phone or landline? :D
spoken like a true ham :wink: :lol: :lol:
Why use Amateur Radio when there is the internet (as well as the above)! :!: :lol: :roll: :wink:
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

I was speaking in terms of what jazzsinger may use that might have in common to his original post.

I am not aware if jazz is a ham operator so I just used CB as a point.
timebandit

Post by timebandit »

Now fez! come on??dont joke! you mean our friend George!!!! a ham operator :shock: he could be the can variety maybe :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Post by jazzsinger »

theres a huge difference between using a cb to make random contacts worldwide with fellow radio enthusiasts and phoning someone you already know.unlike dx tv where you are basically receiving the same crap you can on terrestrial/cable or satellite only with a worse signal.

the can variety,is that two hams connected by twin cans and a piece of string?that would be well beyond the capabilities of large quantities of amateurs to get a set up like that up and running,major hi tech and no black boxes,who's gonna tie the knots for them? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i can just hear their first question now,where do i put the atu,and can i use wire instead of string :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Banned Account
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Bored today Georgie boy? - nowt on the telly lol
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL