Scanning radio frequencies for the North West
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

I've mentioned this in my intro new member posts but want to ask in its own rights. But as I've recently bought a Baofeng UV13 Pro V2 Ham radio, & this 430.86000 frequency is the only really active (and it is very active) frequency I've picked up so far. From what I understand it's likely what I gather is known as a repeater station if only because I'm listening to often international & even global users. If so is there any way to know where this repeater station is based as being in Liverpool myself none of the voices or discussions suggest this repeater station is likely anywhere close to me. So more curious on where it's based as much as anything.
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: 430.86000

Post by Tin soldier »

I think it's Mansfield from memory when I looked it up from your original post.

I'll post a link .

Edit .
Not Mansfield, unless you posted that frequency also.

https://ukrepeater.net/repeaterlist.html?filter=ALL

Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Well, wherever it's based it's a strong signal, usually 3 of 4 bars strength this end hence why surely it must be fairly local for a cheap handheld device.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

430.8625 is the correct frequency, it's most likely GB3 PT, a repeater in Prescot. Now and again an automated female sounding voice reads out the repeater callsign. The input is 438.4625, the tone is 94.8. https://radioreferenceuk.co.uk/lmap.php?user=GB3PT+NFM
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

Dave9946 wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 16:43 Well, wherever it's based it's a strong signal, usually 3 of 4 bars strength this end hence why surely it must be fairly local for a cheap handheld device.

There's a link in my last post for repeaters incase you missed it 👍🏼

And as Duncan said, you can be slightly out on frequency but still hear.

What I've done with a Baofeng UV5R is write down all frequencies I've found transmitting and saved them as channels.
Then I can scan on channel mode to pick up current TX.
I've a list of other frequencies I've not yet saved ,
I've also saved all 16 PMR channels.

Again, time of day is key. You could search blindly through frequency all day and not hear anything but there are transmissions.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

If the radio is set up wrong (10k instead of 12.5) it will also show up wrong. I visit the area every 2-3 weeks I've used that repeater. My inlaws live near it. I think it's a repeater that also tells you when it's the top of the hour. There are quite a few repeaters and internet amatuer gateways in the Cheshire, Manchester and Merseyside area. You can often hear the same conversation on more than one repeater if they are using the likes of Echolink.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Yeah, this is all new to me and still trying to get my head round everything in general let alone just the handset itself. Scanning certainly picks up hits signal wise I guess as it's stopping & I'm getting signal strength & static, just noting as such transmission wise as of yet. But yes, will certainly be saving it all and taking things from there to see how much easier I can make using this handheld.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

Dave9946 wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 17:23 Yeah, this is all new to me and still trying to get my head round everything in general let alone just the handset itself. Scanning certainly picks up hits signal wise I guess as it's stopping & I'm getting signal strength & static, just noting as such transmission wise as of yet. But yes, will certainly be saving it all and taking things from there to see how much easier I can make using this handheld.

No problem, happy to help.I often reply to people then they seem to vanish. I have been visiting the area for several years now but only for a day or two at a time most times. I have a little heap of stuff for the area you are in, there is a lot of hospitals especially, all on dmr. The Liverpool shops can be interesting sometimes, it's well run, again dmr. I'll listen to anything really.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Yeah, that's 1 of the next things on my shopping list for this week, a dmr dongle. Been looking into them a little and certainly seems like I'll likely get a lot more on dmr, be it more local based than a CB. Though wandering about the different aerials needed for the various different purposes etc. Sounds a bit of a minefield all that bit right now but certainly getting the dmr dongle all the same.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

Dave9946 wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 09:14 Yeah, that's 1 of the next things on my shopping list for this week, a dmr dongle. Been looking into them a little and certainly seems like I'll likely get a lot more on dmr, be it more local based than a CB. Though wandering about the different aerials needed for the various different purposes etc. Sounds a bit of a minefield all that bit right now but certainly getting the dmr dongle all the same.
Most things people listen to on a scanner is close to 70cm and 2metre amatuer radio frequencies so a dual band whip or telescopic will do. It also depends on your location.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

try this App on your phone its free
https://www.repeaterbook.com/index.php/en-us
:thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

When you use a proper radio as a scanner it’s frustratingly slow as the scan speed means you miss so many things because they’re little short transmissions and they weren’t there when you passed. Marine band, that I’m interested in has some many empty channels that the ten I listen to are in memory’s and I scan those. Scanning the entire band from 156 to 163 takes forever and produces nothing. Scanning has to be targeted on slow radios or you waste your time. An SDR let’s you see, then if you want, you can go to the busy area.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

paulears wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 05:48 When you use a proper radio as a scanner it’s frustratingly slow as the scan speed means you miss so many things because they’re little short transmissions and they weren’t there when you passed. Marine band, that I’m interested in has some many empty channels that the ten I listen to are in memory’s and I scan those. Scanning the entire band from 156 to 163 takes forever and produces nothing. Scanning has to be targeted on slow radios or you waste your time. An SDR let’s you see, then if you want, you can go to the busy area.
That can also depend on how many channels you have programmed in. I have a Yaesu which scans quicker than my Anytone. I have found plenty using a Uniden and Anytone combined. A friend came up with the idea of searching with his scanner, if he picked up a dmr signal he tuned his 878 into the frequency to decode it. I've nothing against SDR's, but they are difficult to fit in a jacket pocket.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

I got the SDR dongle yesterday, Though still trying to get to grips with it first using it on my phone & tablet for ease. But seems to be rather poor software wise on the Android system so far. Not to sure what to expect using such a device on a mobile device like a phone or tablet, but so far very poor, seems very glitchy software wise & results and only really getting radio broadcasts so far.

Of cause I expect things to be different using it on a PC, just a shame it doesn't appear to be as well supported on mobile devices as it should be. Unless I've simply not found the best software yet for mobile devices.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Nothing at all except FM radio broadcasts on this SDR via Andriod. Very, very disappointing so far and unless it picks up something on the PC, Amazon can take it back as a useless piece of junk not as advertised.