[FIX] Albrecht AE-6290 intermittent LCD Segments

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

[FIX] Albrecht AE-6290 intermittent LCD Segments

Post by bigbloke »

Hi All,

A friend of mine was recently given a 6290 as a retirement present.
He's not a CB'er but asked me if it could be converted to 10m. A simple
if damned fiddly task involving closing one solder joint and resetting the
radio.

Having done the mod for him, I noticed that as the radio warmed up some of the
LCD display segments would disappear - specifically the lower S meter bars and the
leftmost "8" of the LCD frequency line.

Speaking to another local 6290 owner (RPComms on here) it seems he too had a similar
issue but his display was missing segments from cold, and got them back when the radio
warmed up.

Taking the radio apart I discovered that the black LCD bezel is used as a common earth return
and there are 4 large solder pads on the rear of the PCB for it to attach to.

Instead of folding them over to fill the pad, the factory production line had simply bent the bezel
flange like a flag:

6290-1.png

Which results in only a small surface area of the Bezel contacting the solder pad. Evidently the size
of the solder pad suggests that the bezel frame was designed to mate more securely!

So I simply straightened out the "flag", then bent the bezel over so that all 4 points made good contact
with the solder pads beneath:

6290-2.png

A quick test mode display check (Power on the radio with the [A/F], [VOX] and [SQ} buttons all pressed in)
revealed that all segments were working correctly. I left the radio on overnight and took it out mobile for
a "shake down" test and can confirm this has completely fixed the issue.

RPComms I believe is also doing his but I have yet to hear if that has also fixed it for him.

Hope this simple fix helps someone else down the line.

Regards

BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rpcomms

Re: [FIX] Albrecht AE-6290 intermittent LCD Segments

Post by rpcomms »

Yes -Fixed mine too,will check rest of my stock later.

Rob P
RPC