portable station sdr on a motorbike

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
lasse
Regular
Regular

portable station sdr on a motorbike

Post by lasse »

hello all , i have just got a bmw r1250rt motorbike and have decided to go portable ( i can get a lot of gear on the bile , same bike uk police use), as in go camping on the highest points i can get to on a motorbike ,even touring europe . so radio options , on my boat i use Sailor compact ssb ( not a portable option as its 24v and is a 280w radio and very heavy) and a icom ic 706 and a 7100 physicaly size wise is good but both draw around 1.5A on rx so no good for portable and then theres my Belcom LS102l with could be a good contender around 500mA rx but not realy practicle , so we go to sdr . lots of info now to open these up on tx on 11m so my choice is

rs-918 with battery (or without battery)

kn990

Xiegu G90

has any one tried any of theese on 11m ? i have chosen these models as i can open them to up tx on 27mhz i can sort the lp filter out externaly so not worried about that . i only want to work qrp 20w pep due to batterys , there will be a a good sized lithium power pack , charged from the bike when needed ( but obviously dont want to run bike just to run equipment) . found a portable tripod aroun 3m fulley extended so will mount a horizontal diapole , posibly a MFJ-2289 . which will be directional (manualy) , with the sdr sets i will get around 10 hrs operation ( good excuse to jump on the bike to do a beer and food run to recharge the batt pack lol) any input would be much apreciated :) 73s 26FBI14 Lasse