Multimode 2 Tatty, Recently Serviced, First Time Custom Paint

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
GDog
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: RedWold

Multimode 2 Tatty, Recently Serviced, First Time Custom Paint

Post by GDog »

Hello Again!

Long time no speak.

Recently spent 50 quid on a multimode, it was tatty and in need of a service. So I sent it away to Cubwolf for some expansion and tuning. Thanks Dave!. Works perfectly now!

It looked like any old tatty multimode and I didnt realy know what to do about it. The metal faceplate was scuffed and peeling off. Attempts to tidy it made it worse. I ended up ripping off the faceplate and sanding the plastic down smooth.

Anyway, I left it for a while, while I worked out next steps.

I thought Id go for a Camo look. Thought about regular camofaluge, but tried to do urban camoflauge. Trying to keep costs down I paid for a few cheap rattle cans! And got some feet for it to lift it up more like a base station rather than use a bracket.

its turned out better than I expected. Although I had some reactions with the paint on the front.

The metal top and bottom turned out almost perfect.

The front panel was a battle just to salvage it from going in the bin.

Next time I must learn to be less mpatient when working on something. Especially with decals, once placed you cant remove without paint peeling off. Buy tweezers? Stay off the beer? Use sharper scissors? Yes to all the above!

Not sure iif I managed to nail the 'Winter Camo', perhaps more snowy? 'Christmassy'?

Can I be the first to wish you all a Happy Christmas :D

G
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Re: Multimode 2 Tatty, Recently Serviced, First Time Custom Paint

Post by lambrettadave »

Sort of looks a little bit like marble but it looks great
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Thanks Dave. It's better than I thought it would be. I've learned enough now on this one to be able to make a better attempt on the next one. Its a good little FM workhorse! If anything I've held the rust off for a while...
ChubbyChops
Call Sign: 26TM773

Post by ChubbyChops »

How did you make the lettering for the faceplate.
Looks fab, I like it :)
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Hi, so I used Photoshop and guestimated the measurements of the faceplate knobs and switches would be inches or fractions of ... Set it to 300dpi.

Found pictures on Google of knobs / dials to copy and paste into Photoshop and started editing. Found a Ham International logo. In hindsight should of made that smaller.

I ordered 10 sheets of printable transparent stickyback plastic from Amazon for 8.99.

Printed on paper first to test before printing on the plastic.

Then printed. Cut it out and stuck it on. Sprayed clear coat over the top.

Hot tip. Don't do it after drinking...
beamer320i
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by beamer320i »

I have to say, I really like that! I must admit, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things like originality but this looks great! Love the marble effect on the cases especially. Multimode front panels are notorious for wearing away and with no other options currently available, this is a good way to go. :thumbup:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Looking good, Dave the collector has some serious competition :lol:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

I looked for someone online who made decals and while I did find a Facebook page showing Multimode 3 decals I couldn't find anything else.

Google did bring up a forum post mention of a lady in the US that used to make decals to order but has since sold the business.

I would of liked to have restored it to original but the biggest problem is printing white ink.

I guess I'd have to make up my own ink cartridge by emptying the black ink and filling with white ink. I imagine to do it in properly you would need an expensive printer.

Certainly a gap in the market for a decal service. No one seems to do it. Or perhaps they do and I can't find them?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I love this kind of thing :)

There are a few people in the UK that do the decals on Facebook and ebay (there are topics on this subject if you do a search) and a couple more from the USA where it really started.

If you have a look at the "Pimped- up radios" topic on the picture posts section, you'll see a few radios that've had transformations.

Here's my Midas Multimode and camo'd Spinnytronic (picture is pixellated) done with spray cans and rub-off Decadry lettering sheets years ago:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

I really like that, the white reminds me of some fixed mount marine radios.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing those pictures! They have given me some inspiration!

The Camo'd Spinnytronic was exactly what I had in mind when I started out but I just couldn't put my ideas to reality. It looks really good and not as dark as I imagined it would. Very nice!

As for the Midasmode... That is "very indulgent'" lol! A radio fit for a king! The Decadry lettering does look good will be googling that today at work.

Now you've got me thinking about using real gold leaf on a Harvard Good Buddy...
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Just out of curiousity as I've never had a CB broadbanded, when you had it expanded why go from Low to Super High along with the UKs rather than Super low to High plus UKs? Is it out of choice or does the VCO or tuning struggle with the extra bandwidth required to cover Super Low?
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

I was trying to get super low to super high!

I think it's just very difficult to do and/or the super high crystals are rare, difficult to get and expensive plus the VCO may not stretch across the band's. Maybe this chassis isn't as capable as other Cybernet chassis.

I'm no expert in these things so the above statement may be inaccurate.

Conveniently, I am using Delboy's Frequency Chart (I edited to remove the first column, printed and framed on my wall), it's a good guide and I've plugged in a home made frequency counter.

The frequency counter I have used a hobby box and old broken multimeter for its set of probe plugs so I can also probe a radio as well as connect to back of multimode ... use it to help guide me on the channels.

Not my best work, bit of a hack job, but cheap at around 15 pounds to make.

I may re-box the frequency counter more professionally to match the radio

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

GDog wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 03:26 ....

The Decadry lettering does look good will be googling that today at work.
I don't think Decadry still do rub-off lettering transfer sheets, but other brands are available. I just liked the 3mm size and slimmer font that Decadry did so I mostly used that on my radios. I have a few sheets of them in white and a couple of black just in case.
Here's white on the radio I did 2 weeks ago - low resolution picture sorry -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GDog
Regular
Regular

Post by GDog »

Almost indistinguishable from original lettering.

Fantastic work, I can see you have a real passion for bringing these radios back to life.

When restored do you display them, sell them or use them? How many radios do you own?

As 'The Collector' I've always wondered how many radios you have so now I guess I have an excuse to be a bit cheeky and ask!