What Coax & does length matter

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Air
Regular
Regular

What Coax & does length matter

Post by Air »

Just wondering what coax to get.
.1. Does it come in standards, and which one is better, does wattage need to be calculated
when ordering a cable.

.2. Does the length of the coax matter, will longer coax put up more resistance and make a
mess of things.

.3. Does running the coax down the side of the steel pole the antennae
is on cause any issues, or should I put the coax inside a plastic pipe
tied onto the side of the steel pole.

I am not sure, but I will probably get the antron 99, its not too expensive and
am worried about wind bending an aluminium antennae, I can not add too
much support to the steel pole either as it will be only 2 inch galvanized sitting
on a plate on the concrete footpath, I will hinge it so it can fold down, and put
a plate on the highest point of the wall of the house for it to slot into a catch that
will clamp it in place.

Does an antron 99 need grounded, is there a place on the antenae to attach a
ground wire, and if so, what is a suitable ground, the steel pole I doubt would
be considered a ground.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Re: What Coax & does length matter

Post by Otter »

How long does your cable run need to be? Are you just using it for 27MHz?

Generally.
1. Yes, but don't worry about the type of coax until we know how much length you need. For the kid of powers most people run you don't need to worry about power handling capacity.
2. As short as reasonably possible. The longer the coax, the more loss you have. Ignore people who say you need multiples of a fraction of a wavelength - it's untrue. Some antennas specify that you do this, but those are the only ones you should do it with.
3. Coax down the pole is fine.
4. An Antron 99 doesn't need to be grounded.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Air wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 22:10Does an antron 99 need grounded, is there a place on the antenae to attach a
be considered a ground.

Search through my posts, I described how antron 99 should me mounted. It's critical, otherwise it won't work as it should.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

ch25 wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 08:21
Air wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 22:10Does an antron 99 need grounded, is there a place on the antenae to attach a
be considered a ground.

Search through my posts, I described how antron 99 should me mounted. It's critical, otherwise it won't work as it should.
I tried to search your posts, but there are way to many mentions of antron to go through them all.
Thanks
Last edited by Air on 12 Jun 2022, 11:38, edited 2 times in total.
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

Otter wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 05:37 How long does your cable run need to be? Are you just using it for 27MHz?

Generally.
1. Yes, but don't worry about the type of coax until we know how much length you need. For the kid of powers most people run you don't need to worry about power handling capacity.
2. As short as reasonably possible. The longer the coax, the more loss you have. Ignore people who say you need multiples of a fraction of a wavelength - it's untrue. Some antennas specify that you do this, but those are the only ones you should do it with.
3. Coax down the pole is fine.
4. An Antron 99 doesn't need to be grounded.
Thanks for posting.
Good to know it does not need grounding.
Would it be a good idea to insulate the clamps where they come in contact with
the 2 inch galvanized pipe, and plug the antennae out when there is risk of thunder
/ Lightning.

Do those inline lightening devices work, or do they cause too much signal loss
and thus better to disconnect the cable and forget about them.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

For a start: https://www.w8ji.com/end-fed_vertical.htm#IMAX

Bottom line - get aluminium antenna :)
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

A99 are strong long lasting antennas,got 3 now just coat in yacht varnish including glue rings,tape all joints and glue well.grease tuning rings,insulate from mounting pole,don't add counterpoise but ensure coax feed is in multiples of freq used.
Doing such dropped my rf and swr to 1.2 across from 25.500 to 29 mhz so pleased. You could also test this by adding patch leads increasing length is how I was advised to do by a v clever radio engineer.sorted my rf issues from a99 into my alinco dx 10.
No idea of exact length of coax but just added feet until it was perfect with barrel connector and diff patch lead lengths..mine was 3' just
As Chris says aluminium, sirio tornado new27 work fab 9' off ground sirio 827, gpe .antron 99 less noticed, maybe naked gainmaster t2lt very stealth.

Most the silver rod types are poor quality now, need bamboo caines inside,section slots widening with file to close tighter, bolt through bottom tube connection instead of one screw one side that rusts up fast.
Bolt sections ,tape up well.sirio gpe better .
Buy quality none rusting washers for sections originals rust cause problems.grease section couplings. Keep drain hole clear,add length of plastic rubber inner tube around bottom of a99 to form a cover around area where plug fits in base, protects from rain, snow,ice the plq259 even after taping and silicon grease threads n pins lightly.
Buy used ,close up the so 239 little grips that connect to pl 259 often get loose from keep removing plugs same with most radio so 239s

Use glue heat shrink tube on pl259 to coax better protect,4x shrinkage.
Rg 8x coax or rg213 best quality.or if on budget marine tinned copper stuff rg 58 but buy good coax brand quality and superior plugs not junk cheap.
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

original45 wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 14:53 A99 are strong long lasting antennas,got 3 now just coat in yacht varnish including glue rings,tape all joints and glue well.grease tuning rings,insulate from mounting pole,don't add counterpoise but ensure coax feed is in multiples of freq used.
Doing such dropped my rf and swr to 1.2 across from 25.500 to 29 mhz so pleased. You could also test this by adding patch leads increasing length is how I was advised to do by a v clever radio engineer.sorted my rf issues from a99 into my alinco dx 10.
No idea of exact length of coax but just added feet until it was perfect with barrel connector and diff patch lead lengths..mine was 3' just
As Chris says aluminium, sirio tornado new27 work fab 9' off ground sirio 827, gpe .antron 99 less noticed, maybe naked gainmaster t2lt very stealth.

Most the silver rod types are poor quality now, need bamboo caines inside,section slots widening with file to close tighter, bolt through bottom tube connection instead of one screw one side that rusts up fast.
Bolt sections ,tape up well.sirio gpe better .
Buy quality none rusting washers for sections originals rust cause problems.grease section couplings. Keep drain hole clear,add length of plastic rubber inner tube around bottom of a99 to form a cover around area where plug fits in base, protects from rain, snow,ice the plq259 even after taping and silicon grease threads n pins lightly.
Buy used ,close up the so 239 little grips that connect to pl 259 often get loose from keep removing plugs same with most radio so 239s

Use glue heat shrink tube on pl259 to coax better protect,4x shrinkage.
Rg 8x coax or rg213 best quality.or if on budget marine tinned copper stuff rg 58 but buy good coax brand quality and superior plugs not junk cheap.
Thanks for posting, I will re read what you wrote to see if I understand, am a newbie it will
take time to sink in.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Ok, a99 are glass fibre gel coated I believe it is .gel coat like a smooth finish deteriorates in uv light over time.glass fibre lifts like sharp pins micro size pricks fingers hence for !longevity of refurb I use yacht varnish.
Take your time don't rush it I do well on a99 .not the ultimate but tough in winds
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

original45 wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 16:23 Ok, a99 are glass fibre gel coated I believe it is .gel coat like a smooth finish deteriorates in uv light over time.glass fibre lifts like sharp pins micro size pricks fingers hence for !longevity of refurb I use yacht varnish.
Take your time don't rush it I do well on a99 .not the ultimate but tough in winds
Thanks again.
Yes, I will put yacht varnish on the antennae, I will put it all together and set it up first,
check swr, then take all down and varnish.
I varnish steel instead of painting it, it seems to last longer, never had it flake and
I can see if water got in, it stays clear enough to see that, an it stick very well.

I will need to get stainless steel washers instead of the ones that come with the antennae,
that should stop the rust better than the so called galvanized ones that come with it.

I will need to source some rubber tape I believe its called,
and would silicon spray work as seize on the threads, I can tape off what definitely does not
need to be sprayed with it.

I took note of your cable information, in the order of best first, if am right, good to know.

I chose the a99 to hopefully avoid breakage in wind, other than that I would have chosen
another antennae, as others pointed out, there are better.

I am stuck for time, so wont have a winch in place to hoist and lower the pole, but it will be
there when I need to take all down again for inspection or crazy high winds, lots to do.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Just lower in severe winds,no need to take down inspect periodically.should be good for decade once up correct
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

What co-ax? - Shielded, thick copper co-ax.

Does length matter? - My wife says it does ;)
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Lol
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

The Collector wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 21:26
I was wondering when something like this would come up,
at least your talking about it.
Last edited by Air on 13 Jun 2022, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

The Collector wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 21:26 What co-ax? - Shielded, thick copper co-ax.

I can't walk in and ask for thick copper, they will think am thick,
surely there must be a grading system.