Which of these two Radio 's would you chose

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Re: Which of these two Radio 's would you chose

Post by original45 »

Have both mentioned in original post ,work simular but buttons feel better on alinco.both can suffer rf , channel changing on own hi5 or s meaning swr .
My dx10 lost illumination of controls only not screen but still works pukka.
6900 n is much bigger than alinco.
Both mics are poor but functional. Dx10 densai 2021 Mic best,6900n kpo power mic.

Don't like blue screen on 6900, alinco feels looks better too. Neither I feel should be fun full chatter, need power run a kl 203 3-5 w into an fm. 10-15 ssb no probs.
Menu well once set up don't mess. If you use your fine clarifier set it back to centre after use on 00 or you will have to faff getting dial back at 12 o'clock on 00.

Both are ok , bit over priced presently as were 120£ new once.
Psu ? Get a leisure battery.
Naked gainmaster maybe.
Kl 203
Better Mic.
Good extension speaker of bhi dsp type .
Look used for bargains why pay top dollar.

Are these awesome radios ? Nah but they work with decent audio power features cheap disposable open clarifiers rx tx,freq display and ch.program in banks of 60 big coverage.

Probable better with a grounded antenna .Had issues for months with antron 99.
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

original45 wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 14:10 Have both mentioned in original post ,work simular but buttons feel better on alinco.both can suffer rf , channel changing on own hi5 or s meaning swr .
My dx10 lost illumination of controls only not screen but still works pukka.
6900 n is much bigger than alinco.
Both mics are poor but functional. Dx10 densai 2021 Mic best,6900n kpo power mic.

Don't like blue screen on 6900, alinco feels looks better too. Neither I feel should be fun full chatter, need power run a kl 203 3-5 w into an fm. 10-15 ssb no probs.
Menu well once set up don't mess. If you use your fine clarifier set it back to centre after use on 00 or you will have to faff getting dial back at 12 o'clock on 00.

Both are ok , bit over priced presently as were 120£ new once.
Psu ? Get a leisure battery.
Naked gainmaster maybe.
Kl 203
Better Mic.
Good extension speaker of bhi dsp type .
Look used for bargains why pay top dollar.

Are these awesome radios ? Nah but they work with decent audio power features cheap disposable open clarifiers rx tx,freq display and ch.program in banks of 60 big coverage.

Probable better with a grounded antenna .Had issues for months with antron 99.
Thanks for posting.
What problems had you for months with the antron 99,
was it the antron, or cable, or something else.

I was thinking about going the leisure battery route,
but a proper battery, and a proper charger would cost
a more than a liner power supply, I can run the radio
off a battery in the event of power failure, or my generator
can power the radio either through the linear power supply
or off the 12 volt charging port on the generator.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

For some reason rf was coming back down coax braid into radio.causing high swr on the radio ,channel changing on keying up .

Linear psu better but also those 30 amp or bigger led psu are good that were shown on fred in the shed YouTube channel.
But are switchmode onky.
Used one too for a while was fine,mate uses his 3 years now fine no issues runs 6900 n and kl 203 off it
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

original45 wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 18:48 For some reason rf was coming back down coax braid into radio.causing high swr on the radio ,channel changing on keying up .

Linear psu better but also those 30 amp or bigger led psu are good that were shown on fred in the shed YouTube channel.
But are switchmode onky.
Used one too for a while was fine,mate uses his 3 years now fine no issues runs 6900 n and kl 203 off it
How did you fix it.
Were you using a steel or aluminium pole, maybe a steel pole is not a good idea,
they use steel laminations in generators because it holds residual magnetism and stops
eddy currents because its laminated, wonder if steel is the best option, that's why I asked about running
the cable down the pole without shielding over it, like a pvc pipe and the cable inside it, instead of it
coming down right beside the steel conductor.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

My pole first was galvanised steel,then swapped to alloy tube9' 1.50" .
I run mine outside of pole and a rf choke balun directly bellow antenna .
Some thing like 5 turns 4" former.
Always tape up coax to mast well,seen many pulled out of pl259 over time.
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

original45 wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 21:16 My pole first was galvanised steel,then swapped to alloy tube9' 1.50" .
I run mine outside of pole and a rf choke balun directly bellow antenna .
Some thing like 5 turns 4" former.
Always tape up coax to mast well,seen many pulled out of pl259 over time.
I will tape it up well. What do you connect the balun to, is it
between the metal pole and a grounding rod.
If not its not going to be easy, to attach a wire coil to the shielding or
the centre wire of the coax.

So why did you change out the galvanized pole to an aluminium one,
aluminium wont be an option here, metals are like gold now, the price is
absolutely ridiculous.
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

ch25 wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 07:21
Air wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 22:41telling me to use any aluminium antennae, that doesn't help at all,
there are hundreds of aluminium antennae, so which ones are better
than an antron 99.
Silver rod 1/2 for example, but I would recommend to get Sirio 2012 or 2016. I described why antron is bad antenna a few months ago, it's there. Use search function, I don't want to repeat myself.
Air wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 22:41I asked you if a President Lincoln 2 Plus was a better option than
any of my picks, no answer to that.
It's like choosing between plague and diarrhea.
Look at President McKinely EU. Nice rig but way overpriced.
I would rather get SS3900 or President Jackson in good condition.
Found a new President Jackson, €298.00 , then shipping.
I think that is expensive, maybe am wrong. AND NOW ITS GONE.
Was looking for dedicated base stations, and there does not seem to be
anything other than full on Ham Radios available.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Jacko2 is ok but has no freq display only channel display.
Secondly if it drifts off freq as mine has in past the clarifier will only adjust receive signal not transmit as other modern radios.
Love the jacko 2 but alinco for me has better features ,freq display ..
My dx 10 alinco is my daily use radio despite its past issues simular to most modern radios they all have them.

Choke coil is the coax itself coiled 5 times in 4" diameter. , plenty YouTube vids showing how very easy.
Buy some decent clip on ferrite rings too for your power leads for Mic cables if required even tv power leads,phone charger bases so on can help to reduce rfi noise to radio.,a lot to learn don't stress bit at time.few spare fuses, rubber feet to raise radio off table ,8 ohm speaker for extension speaker.go car boots,look Facebook marketplace sales sites.

Go looking for copper tube scrap or buy grounding rod,drive in soil closest to radio, make a connection to radio casing ,run thick copper wire to the copper rod or tube in ground from radio.
Can do psu too,amps, .wetter position best of lowest soil level even.pour bucket of water around ground spike prior to use if dry weather to help.
Shortest length of wire you can run to earth ground too.longer than required could act as antenna upset things.

Replaced steel for alloy only for weight and dia upgrade.My mast was galvanised electrical conduit tube, 20 mms with bamboo cane full length maybe 12'' or more.yes stood years in wind a99 on top no prob,only bent when tested imax.
No other reason.
Look for swadged poles from scrap trampalines too, useful these the better ones anyway.
Air
Regular
Regular

Post by Air »

original45 wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 06:36 Jacko2 is ok but has no freq display only channel display.
Secondly if it drifts off freq as mine has in past the clarifier will only adjust receive signal not transmit as other modern radios.
Love the jacko 2 but alinco for me has better features ,freq display ..
My dx 10 alinco is my daily use radio despite its past issues simular to most modern radios they all have them.

Choke coil is the coax itself coiled 5 times in 4" diameter. , plenty YouTube vids showing how very easy.
Buy some decent clip on ferrite rings too for your power leads for Mic cables if required even tv power leads,phone charger bases so on can help to reduce rfi noise to radio.,a lot to learn don't stress bit at time.few spare fuses, rubber feet to raise radio off table ,8 ohm speaker for extension speaker.go car boots,look Facebook marketplace sales sites.

Go looking for copper tube scrap or buy grounding rod,drive in soil closest to radio, make a connection to radio casing ,run thick copper wire to the copper rod or tube in ground from radio.
Can do psu too,amps, .wetter position best of lowest soil level even.pour bucket of water around ground spike prior to use if dry weather to help.
Shortest length of wire you can run to earth ground too.longer than required could act as antenna upset things.

Replaced steel for alloy only for weight and dia upgrade.My mast was galvanised electrical conduit tube, 20 mms with bamboo cane full length maybe 12'' or more.yes stood years in wind a99 on top no prob,only bent when tested imax.
No other reason.
Look for swadged poles from scrap trampalines too, useful these the better ones anyway.
Thanks for posting. No real loss not having a Jackson then.
You confirmed my concern regarding using an aluminium / less flexible antennae,
in regard to bending, in your case the pole bent a little, sometimes compromises
have to be made.
I would assume the PSU will have its ground connected through the wall socket
I plug it into, I will make sure a ground is connected either way.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

No ground external .short ground wires from your radio gear to some kind of junction block or screw block terminal shorter better then 1 earth ground wire outside to your rod.too many long wires may give issues

If you go for cheaper venom antenna alloy, drop bamboo inside base..won't hurt.stop bending at weakest point out of too of bracket.Will still flex not break.sometimes couple to take up space inside dia dependant.

Psu link