halfwave antenna with or without radials??

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Sundance
Registered New User
Registered New User

halfwave antenna with or without radials??

Post by Sundance »

I would like your views on what the difference is between a 1/2 wave antenna with and without radials. Normally I would think a half wave can work anywhere both on the ground and at the top of a Tower.. My choice falls on an aluminum antenna because it must be able to be set up and taken down without joints and threads becoming quickly worn. I prefer this telescope antenna with clamps. I can't mount that more than 15 feet above the ground and about 10 feet from the house. Should I choose a half wave with or without radials. The one I've been looking at is called silverrod and has slightly curvy radials. What do you mean, what do you think?
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: halfwave antenna with or without radials??

Post by Mudslinger »

I think the small curved radials are too small to actually do anything.

Be careful with these Silver rods, they are made from cheap thin and soft aluminium. The Sirio GPS1/2 is only a couple of quid more, and is much better. It is made of decent quality alloy which is much thicker and it will stand up to the wind.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

That's a good reading about it: https://www.w8ji.com/end-fed_vertical.htm
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

The little curved ‘radials’ on this antenna are no more than perches for the birds! I use one of these antennas and it’s been up for 4 years untouched. I have modified it by adding 4 evenly spaced 8’6” wire radials stretched out at 45 degrees, this gives a better angle of radiation and also acts as guy’s. It’s 20’ off the ground to the base of the antenna and isolated from the pole. I have worked Australia on it several times over the last 3 months, Brazil, S. Africa, USA, Caribbean, Sri Lanka and most of Europe.
Sundance
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Sundance »

I can buy the same antenna from hygain for 325 Danish Viking coins, about the same as 36 Gbp. I choose it because local users can remember the antenna to work smoothly and can run the DX even if its only a few meters above the ground.
However, no one can tell me about the difference between the half-wave with or without radials. people thinks, as Tim also mentions, it radiates a lower radiation angle which should be a plus when it comes to DX. Are you familiar with its bandwidth? Can it be tuned to a good SWR in the 25-30mhz frequency range by changing length? So it can broadcast 10meter amateurradio and be retuned to lowband CB-band?
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Re radials, any radials need to be a minimum of 8 feet 6 inches in length and angled between 32 to 45 degrees to be effective on this type on vertical antenna, 1/4, 1/2 and 5/8 wave. As for resonance on other bands they will tune on several without changing physical length through an ATU. With or without the little curved radials makes no difference to the performance.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

The other day I made a post and did not post it as I realized it was a reiteration, and not as clear anyway, of what is written here.

https://ham.stackexchange.com/questions ... -rf-ground

The antenna can be a little cantankerous to set up correctly, but more so for hams who want to use them multi band. Lots of Ham-isms in there so you may need to pick the bones out of it a bit.

I have personally had confusing and varied results with Silver rods over the years... they do work and you will make DX given decent conditions but how well seems very much dependent on how and where they are set up. Certainly a convenient antenna. Quite a few people exhalt the merits of the T2LT, however I have also had very varying results with those as well. You will need to think about mounting height, what you are mounting it on, nearby objects, possibly choking the coax etc. Working out what works for you is half the fun, and also slightly anxiety inducing at times.

Stick one up have a play around and over time you will work out the perfect set up. Tim seems to have nailed his set up and is getting results.
It certainly won't break the bank.. they are cheap enough, mudslinger gives good advice.. but if you plan to put it up and down regularly the lighter UK made one is quicker and easier with circular clips than the Sirio (screws), the build quality is not as good as the Sirio.

Good luck with it.