DX-5000 Plus/6900 V7 Board Review

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

DX-5000 Plus/6900 V7 Board Review

Post by Auldgeek »

I recently purchased a KPO DX-5000 Plus that uses the V7 main board. Here's my initial thoughts.

Good Points

• Definitely runs much cooler than the V6 model, no doubt due to the large heatsink on regulators & vented cases on this new design. Even after TX it remains cool.
  • Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) works but see Bad Points.
  • Programmable from the rear via a mini USB, so cases no longer require to be opened.
  • Audio sounds very good on TX, very punchy even with the supplied microphone.
  • Sensitive receiver across all of the bands.
  • 12m Amateur Band now included but see Bad Points
  • Dynamic or electret microphone selection.
Bad Points
  • DNR only accessible after entering menu mode, which is a pain in the rear. Option to enable via front panel switch should have been provided. It's the same for the RX compander and the noise gate setting, although the latter can be set and left, so not as bad.
  • While DNR does provide an improvement, there is a momentary large thud from the received audio every time a signal (or background noise) is received. It makes for tiring listening. It's better on SSB and AM
  • S Meter sits way too high compared to other radios. Seems typical of the current crop of Chinese radios. AGC not perfect either so RF Gain still requires to be backed off.
  • 12m Amateur Band only accessible after changing to export mode and using software to program it. This is the same as my CRT SS9900.
  • I've left the worst to last. When radio is switched on, it generates S5-S7 of noise similar to that of PLT on "any" HF receiver when listening across the 12-10m band.
I've been in contact with the supplier about the last point. They will test another radio when new stock arrives next week. They think it might be caused by noise from the supply to the display. Turning off the display does nothing to change the noise. I'm going to dig out my 6900N and test that to see if it's the same.

Point to note that this will not bother folk if this is their only radio that's switched on, but I always have most of my HF gear or other 11M gear switched on, so it means I'd have to have this one off. What's the point in that? :thumbdown:

Anyway, that's my initial thoughts after a couple of days using it. I'll post an update once I've heard back from the supplier.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
astradyne

Re: DX-5000 Plus/6900 V7 Board Review

Post by astradyne »

You'd think after a decade they'd have got this spot on. Great improvements regarding heat dissipation and a few positives with the new menu features. Maybe a V8 will appear over the next 12 months or so with these issues resolved.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Looks as though this one could potentially have a fault unfortunately, as a few from a new batch have been tested and no noise found when powered on. I'm going to do a couple more checks here before sending it back to the dealer for checking their end.

It happens from time to time. Glad I purchased it from a reputable dealer...
Auldgeek - Drew

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Brief Update

After further tests, it turns out that the supplied DC power lead was the culprit for introducing noise on my other HF receivers whenever the radio was powered on.
I'm not sure how this is happening, but swapping out the cable solved the issue. It's not a supply problem, as I had tried this on multiple power supplies, but on each occasion, I used the supplied power lead.

It appears to only be an issue when paired with the DX 5000, so the easiest fix is to use it with another radio.I may try choking the lead, as there's obviously some form of emc interference.

Anyway, that's the latest. Radio does have some definite improvement over the V6 board, but was it worth the outlay?

Time will tell...
Auldgeek - Drew

Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

How did you get on with the kpo auldgeek?

I'm interested in a 6900 or other anytone/ Albrecht/maas (maybe not maas as I've read they're lower power) clone and notice they have a kpo mic . The 6900 mic is carp apparently, is this one better ? Although I have spare mics .

Does it have the same useless clicky clarifier ?
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

Just seen they do have the same clarifier.
Still tempted though 🤣
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Tin soldier wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 16:15 How did you get on with the kpo auldgeek?

I'm interested in a 6900 or other anytone/ Albrecht/maas (maybe not maas as I've read they're lower power) clone and notice they have a kpo mic . The 6900 mic is carp apparently, is this one better ? Although I have spare mics .

I ended up buying a 7900V when released, and the DX5000 lives in its box. I bought this to compare against my CRT 6900, and it does definitely bring noticeable improvements, but it still has the clicky clarifier. Better off with a 7900V, or a George II if you can justify the extra outlay.
Auldgeek - Drew

Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

Auldgeek wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 20:20
Tin soldier wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 16:15 How did you get on with the kpo auldgeek?

I ended up buying a 7900V when released, and the DX5000 lives in its box. I bought this to compare against my CRT 6900, and it does definitely bring noticeable improvements, but it still has the clicky clarifier. Better off with a 7900V, or a George II if you can justify the extra outlay.
Thanks.
I've gone and bought a k-po, not used it yet.
I've other ssb rigs so not too bothered by the clarifier.
What were the noticeable improvements over a 6900 ?