NOS Westland 707 On Ebay.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: NOS Westland 707 On Ebay.

Post by The Collector »

Queball wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 05:37 Mine is now with Nick so it should come back in tip top condition.
If it comes back looking like a Tip Top, I'd complain ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The Romanian seller has 1 more, minus its manual if anyone's still after one?
slamjam
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26DT871

Post by slamjam »

26DT871 - Ipswich UK
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: AMC45

Post by Edd200sx »

Just a note re: clarifier

If you get too much coarse slide try a 2k2 resistor

Mines 7.5k and 5.8k slide as at start it was over 10k
One way without a resistor
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but there's a simple capacitor mod' that turns the cybernet single beep into a Hy-gain one if anyone should want to on these Westlands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SyaEc2Rns8
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

A drunken hy gain bleep probably.

Top tip on the 707 bleep board is replace r10 with a link.
Change r11 to a 47k and r12 to a 4.7k
The bleep will then sound like a Nato 2000 and not an Amstrad 901 as it does from the factory
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

cubwolf wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 21:04 A drunken hy gain bleep probably.

Top tip on the 707 bleep board is replace r10 with a link.
Change r11 to a 47k and r12 to a 4.7k
The bleep will then sound like a Nato 2000 and not an Amstrad 901 as it does from the factory
Listening to the modified beep at the end of the video Dave, it does sound pretty darn close to the Hy-Gain one.
I had a local female friend back in about '84 who had one and would announce her entry onto the channel by firing it off over the top of everybody to me.

The mod' looks so simple even I could probably do it...and that's saying something! ;)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

And still the Westland 707's are popping up on the bay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-WEST ... 635-2958-0
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

astradyne wrote: 01 May 2022, 00:38 And still the Westland 707's are popping up on the bay...

They're prehaps hoping that people will have forgotten how much the Romanian seller was charging and buy one, for a tidy profit. However, I don't think it'll work at that price as they've been advertised recently at £160 by one seller on a BIN.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 01 May 2022, 19:20
astradyne wrote: 01 May 2022, 00:38 And still the Westland 707's are popping up on the bay...

They're prehaps hoping that people will have forgotten how much the Romanian seller was charging and buy one, for a tidy profit. However, I don't think it'll work at that price as they've been advertised recently at £160 by one seller on a BIN.
I was watching that one and it did sell. But it looks like this particular seller has bought a few with the intent of cashing in. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with making a reasonable profit. I'm sure most if not all of us have done it. But adding around £100 on top of the original purchase price is sheer greed.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
yaggiboom

Post by yaggiboom »

Here is the completed NOT NOS Westland 707.

I bought it as a new old stock and when it arrived it was an old dog...........the case had all kinds of stickers and residue, there was no TX and even the mic was non standard. Eventually I got it for £50 .........and the refurb began. First I repaired all the faults, VCO was shot, and someone had been handy with a screwdriver, the LED indicators weren't working, and it was just a disappointment.

So here it is now. Completely realigned, UK EPROM fitted, and the Clarifier mod completed. Then I noticed that the dual RF Gain and Mic Gain pots are the same values as the course and fine tune controls on other Cybernets. For me it was a no brainer, mic gain is rarely necessary, so now it has a standard course and fine tune Clarifier and a single RF Gain control. The UK switch is where the NB/ANL was, the High LED is a UK indicator. The front panel has been relabled and coated with a matt lacquer, it removes the shiny surface, but to be honest it was easily marked, the matt protects it and it looks a whole lot better.

Q36, the AVR with the little heatsink now has a proper piece of aluminium, bolted to the main heatsink and runs so much cooler. I've never seen this mod anywhere else, its fairly easy to install, I took a piece off a broken Cybernet AM/FM/UK radio, the audio i.c. is ideal. It needs a bit of cutting down to size but is so worth it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.