NOS Westland 707 On Ebay.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Buick Mackane

Re: NOS Westland 707 On Ebay.

Post by Buick Mackane »

Wheres the obligatory comment from ch25 ?

Waste of money, Full of old caps, You regret it long run :lol:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

slamjam wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:59 My AFS-1005 should have arrived today. Fingers crossed!
Excellent 👌
I'm waiting for his eBay limit ban to be lifted and I'll be looking to grab one of these.

Do I need one? Hell no but that's never stopped me :lol:
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Auldgeek wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 18:48
slamjam wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:59 My AFS-1005 should have arrived today. Fingers crossed!
Excellent 👌
I'm waiting for his eBay limit ban to be lifted and I'll be looking to grab one of these.

Do I need one? Hell no but that's never stopped me :lol:
Resist :D
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
slamjam
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26DT871

Post by slamjam »

It's arrived damaged and not working correctly. Now to try and resolve it with the seller
26DT871 - Ipswich UK
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

slamjam wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 19:28 It's arrived damaged and not working correctly. Now to try and resolve it with the seller
Sorry to hear that. Always the Achilles heel of online purchasing. Hope you get everything resolved.
Auldgeek - Drew

chrisvalley
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26st245

Post by chrisvalley »

astradyne wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:58 Well the NOS Westland has landed. Certainly looks brand new. Currently warming it up starting at a low voltage to wake the components up gently. Pics will be posted a little later.
Did you have to pay any duty or vat and was it well wrapped? It's amazing to be getting a new radio all these years later
slamjam
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26DT871

Post by slamjam »

It was basically put in the post in it's box without any additional protection. Probably had a rough ride! It will get resolved one way or another! The chap has been very responsive to my messages etc.. I didn't get caught for customs fortunately.
26DT871 - Ipswich UK
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

chrisvalley wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 21:05
astradyne wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:58 Well the NOS Westland has landed. Certainly looks brand new. Currently warming it up starting at a low voltage to wake the components up gently. Pics will be posted a little later.
Did you have to pay any duty or vat and was it well wrapped? It's amazing to be getting a new radio all these years later
I paid £180 all in so nothing was added on top of the purchase price. I think ebay automatically add any import duties to the listing price so no unpleasant surprises.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

slamjam wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 21:45 It was basically put in the post in it's box without any additional protection. Probably had a rough ride! It will get resolved one way or another! The chap has been very responsive to my messages etc.. I didn't get caught for customs fortunately.
Same here. No outer packaging added and the shipping labels etc stuck onto the radio box. They're still there as I don't want to cause carnage trying to remove them. But the box itself hasn't suffered any damage and the radio is pristine as are the mic, accessories and manual.

Did yours not fare so well?

Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: AMC45

Post by Edd200sx »

What a tosspot not packing properly
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

slamjam wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 21:45 It was basically put in the post in it's box without any additional protection. Probably had a rough ride! It will get resolved one way or another! The chap has been very responsive to my messages etc.. I didn't get caught for customs fortunately.
One of my pet hates. For the cost of a few layers of bubble wrap too. Bugger!
Auldgeek - Drew

chrisvalley
Regular
Regular

Post by chrisvalley »

astradyne wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 22:41
chrisvalley wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 21:05
I paid £180 all in so nothing was added on top of the purchase price. I think ebay automatically add any import duties to the listing price so no unpleasant surprises.
Thanks for the reply, I have paid for a 707 and am now waiting in anticipation hoping it will arrive intact. I'll video and take pictures of the opening in case there is any problem with it and seller/ebay etc.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

You take the same risk buying NOS as you do buying used stuff . Let's face it . It's been sitting in a box doing nothing for 40 odd years . Will it work . Won't it . Who knows ? And what do with it when you get it . Do you take it out of its box and actually use it , reducing its price by about 75% . Or do you just let it sit there for eternity gathering dust and pass it down to your kids as a gift in your will ? Such a conundrum :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
chrisvalley
Regular
Regular

Post by chrisvalley »

cb4ever104 wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 11:44 You take the same risk buying NOS as you do buying used stuff . Let's face it . It's been sitting in a box doing nothing for 40 odd years . Will it work . Won't it . Who knows ? And what do with it when you get it . Do you take it out of its box and actually use it , reducing its price by about 75% . Or do you just let it sit there for eternity gathering dust and pass it down to your kids as a gift in your will ? Such a conundrum :)
I'm just hoping it arrives intact. It will be coming out of the box and made useable whatever happens. I can't have toys that I can't play with.....it's bloody xmas in my head and and I am still a big kid at heart, even if being 50 and having a fat belly says otherwise lol.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Well, despite not having any packaging other than the original box I'm pleased to say everything's fine with this particular 707. RX is very good as you'd expect with a Cybernet and TX is spot on. Rather than use the Westland mic I used the one from my Ham International Multimode 2 which happened to be at hand. All reports have been positive thus far. I certainly see no reason to open it up and tinker.

Exceptional build quality for sure. Very solid indeed. No wobbly controls or ill fitting cases here. The only niggle is the lack of a course control. Tested alongside my ICOM 706 it was transmitting on 27.575.02 for channel 54 so near as damn it spot on. Two very simple mods to change the clarifier to a course tune and add a +10kc stepper. But I'll leave this one as it is.

All in all very pleased with the radio.