Backup Power

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
LondonCbRadio

Backup Power

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Hi guys does anyone here have backup power in case of a power cut ? If so what setup do you have ? I haven't seen a thread like this so i thought it would be good to helps others. Info would be great for anyone looking in.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Backup Power

Post by ch25 »

I have 1-2 power cuts per year. Never needed backup power.
If so, it would be a few kW diesel generator.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Not for backup as such but I have used leisure battery in house, also for camping trip whilst using radio coms with a couple 120 watt solar panels for recharging.
In car I carry spare car battery 800 cca which I use to run a amp and ssb radio when mobile or static for a dx on high ground.
I guess both could be used in times of emergency outages.

After a quick Google to look at what others use in outages especially in times of natural disasters so on it seems common in some countries amongst the amateur and radio societies to have battery backup and whilst I hadn't digested it fully theirs a communication plan too some use 333 plan mentioned so will look at that now too.
Likely not adopted in UK but who knows maybe amateur operators have a structured outages plan I don't know.

Some interesting stuff came up when googling using a cb in power outages or disasters.
Interesting stuff
Mototrbo2020
Regular
Regular

Post by Mototrbo2020 »

Clarke 2k genny running extension lead or split into a plug socket so it feeds the ground floor ring main.
bozzy

Post by bozzy »

I have a small "Kipor" 4 stroke generator, it is quite small, the size of a large thick brief case.

Bought it some time ago as I was getting a lot of power cuts and I don't live in a remote area.

Not had to use it for about 5 years now, but was very handy when I did get power cuts. Was great to power a lamp and the TV, as for backup heating, I have a portable gas heater.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Seems very sensible and especially in current climate of energy issues .
I need to do more
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

In the case of a power cut I think lighting and food would be top of the list, radio usage would be near the bottom...
So candles, torches and a tin opener..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

That's a good point
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I have some PV/battery backup (12V) I mainly use for charging things, but I do have a small inverter I use for things like laptop power supplies. My next move is to reconfigure the panels for 48V and get a real inverter, but everything suddenly gets quite expensive.

I did try patching my inverter into the house wiring using a cable with a 13A plug on each end (*after* isolating the consumer unit and unplugging the heavy loads). Even more stupidly, when I connected the cable I had the inverter running first and got a nasty shock when I accidentally touched the (live) plug end.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

An irish wolf hound and a tread mill hooked up to a car alternator.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

I have an 800W inverter that I run off a large leisure battery.
I also have a portable gas heater and stove.
I have just aquired a petrol gererator but I now have to consider what petrol to buy as E10 being hygroscopic it can corrode the tank and maybe the carburetta. Im also concerned about how dirty the generated mains signal is so I will have to test it under load.
But if we have a Major power outage I could get by ok.
One thing that would be a nice plus during a power cut, a very low noise floor on my HF radio.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

This is very interesting stuff and I thank the person who posted as it's given me food for thought and led me into other information once I googled some of the questions .slightly off topic but this thread is about back up power for communications however it took me to wondering if in power outages even long term do the amateur society or radio users in UK or Europe or even tm1 have a adopted communications plan ?.
With times ,frequencies duration even ?.

I had spotted this 333 communications plan on some survivalist blog I think but it looked more something specific to survivalist so on stateside .
Is their something recognised in the UK Europe West !.

Whilst I use batteries when portable mobile I never considered if power was out and would need to charge although have solar for camping trips we did .
Never considered e10 fuel issues but wouldn't fuel also be in short supply potentially with no power to pump accept payment .

It does seem that their is a few at least that consider power outages and I'm sure those that don't will soon be robbing the battery off the Mrs car to run the hf in such event or Rob the neighbours leisure battery out his caravan..
Kind of a different aspect to the use of need for use potentially of radio communications here.great being on the outages.

Only kidding ,anyone lend me a genny please. Lol
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Metradio wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 21:20 In the case of a power cut I think lighting and food would be top of the list, radio usage would be near the bottom...
So candles, torches and a tin opener..

Mike
Yes that's obvious but communication is also very important as it keeps us in touch with loved ones and friends. One thing everyone should have learnt since this all started is that anything can happen at any time and not to take things for granted. The internet has a kill switch that the gov can use any time. Now friends and family might have once laughed at the idea of having a spare cb radio or pmr446 handheld but i bet now with things that has happened its got them thinking. Don't be scared be prepared is the motto that should be making the rounds right now. See we can't let egos get in the way right now we are all in this together no division needed just positive contributions. You make a great point and that is to be ready with at least i'd say a months worth of food and water. Don't rush out and buy all at once just build it up over a few weeks or months period. As someone said having some food and water put aside is living insurance.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Are you professionally paranoid ?

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Metradio wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:27 Are you professionally paranoid ?

Mike
No i'm just brainwashed by the news and i believe everything the GOV tell me.