462 Mhz default baofeng

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
dc260
Regular
Regular

462 Mhz default baofeng

Post by dc260 »

Sometimes I come across business and leisure activity in the 462 MHZ area such as on 462.125 MHZ.

I notice that on the WTR there exists no allocations in my area on these particular channels. Often times it mirrors that to PMR446-like activity (Shops, children playing, warehouses, businesses, walkers).

So where does this activity come from?

I believe I’ve discovered the source of this activity. It’s the default frequencies programmed into the Baofeng BF-888s radios. These are radios that come preprogrammed on test channels and since these radios do not have a keypad, they must be reprogrammed with a cable

What is occuring is that people are purchasing baofeng radios from Amazon, Ebay and other online stores. They don’t bother to reprogram them unaware they are not allowed to use these channels.

So it’s worth having these 16-channels present in your scanner to listen out for. So far I have heard some children on the channel as well as what appeared to be walkers.

I also posted about it on my blog here.
https://decoderstar.co.uk/index.php/202 ... -activity/
-
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Re: 462 Mhz default baofeng

Post by 26mb04 »

That's useful, thanks for the info. These 888's are used by some of my clients, I've often wondered where they are as they're not on 446. You can narrow down these Baofengs because of the very low CTCSS tone on de-key which (IIRC) can't be disabled. The tone actually disables the rx circuit in the radio, so you could, in theory, perform a DoS attack on Baofengs by using a suitably low (custom) CTCSS tone which Inhibits All The Baofengs.

It'd be interesting to see what Ofcom think of these, and whether they plan to take any action on them. As you say though, Most People assume they're legal, and probably like the fact there's almost no interference! My local storenet uses them, albeit on their licensed system.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

They don’t disturb essential services and as you say, they’re usually used like pmr446. My feeling is ofcom don’t see them as a problem. You found this by luck, not interference. The police know the exact time your car passes the number plate cameras. A bit of maths would enable every speeder to get a fine in the post, but they don’t do it. Baofeng 888s come out of the factory in huge piles and get shipped everywhere. Customs in each country could open the packages and test them, but they don’t. The cost would be frankly, pointless. Ofcom s network of receiver DF stations no doubt reveals users close to the sites, but it’s a paperwork problem, not a real one, so is very, very low priority.
dc260
Regular
Regular

Post by dc260 »

26mb04 wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 17:21 That's useful, thanks for the info. These 888's are used by some of my clients, I've often wondered where they are as they're not on 446. You can narrow down these Baofengs because of the very low CTCSS tone on de-key which (IIRC) can't be disabled. The tone actually disables the rx circuit in the radio, so you could, in theory, perform a DoS attack on Baofengs by using a suitably low (custom) CTCSS tone which Inhibits All The Baofengs.

It'd be interesting to see what Ofcom think of these, and whether they plan to take any action on them. As you say though, Most People assume they're legal, and probably like the fact there's almost no interference! My local storenet uses them, albeit on their licensed system.
I never knew that about the CTCSS tone on dekey that is quite fascinating, I will have to do testing to see if a DOS attack would be possible on the Baofengs...

I very much doubt they will take action as ofcom acts on a complaints basis, since there exists no active allocation near that area at least in my area no complaints would be received and ofcom would not act. However I still would not use these channels myself..
-
dc260
Regular
Regular

Post by dc260 »

paulears wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 07:23 They don’t disturb essential services and as you say, they’re usually used like pmr446. My feeling is ofcom don’t see them as a problem. You found this by luck, not interference. The police know the exact time your car passes the number plate cameras. A bit of maths would enable every speeder to get a fine in the post, but they don’t do it. Baofeng 888s come out of the factory in huge piles and get shipped everywhere. Customs in each country could open the packages and test them, but they don’t. The cost would be frankly, pointless. Ofcom s network of receiver DF stations no doubt reveals users close to the sites, but it’s a paperwork problem, not a real one, so is very, very low priority.

You are right, they do not cause interference so they have no reason to go after these people.

Oddly enough I am starting to doubt their remote DF systems efficency, this is because of the case a few months ago when a lunatic was interfering on the marine band making hoax calls. It took them three weeks to track said abuser and they even mention in their own report on the case that they deployed localised DF equipment to help locate said abuser If the remote DF system was as effective as was described on this forum before, they could have easily located them within a few transmissions.. Although I could be wrong on all this, its just my view.
-
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I don't think they're in the right places for marine band are they? They seem to be localised in the cities and urban areas with high radio traffic. I live on the east coast and marine coastline from the wash down to Essex doesn't have any monitoring I'm aware of - However, channel 16 is covered well by the DF outstations that give Humber Radio the location of ch 16 transmission, so inland transmissions can be determined quickly. In the case of the hoax above, the Coastguard system would localise it to what, within a mile or so, because it doesn't need that kind of accuracy at sea, so OFCOM would have to get a couple of people in to drive around, and presumably that, with few staff, is a difficult logistical problem
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Locally several frequencies are owned by people, but many are pirates using cheap Baofeng radios..

they also hate you giving them abuse and claim to phone the police and all sorts..

until you ask if they have a licence to be using the frequencies they're on then they soon shut up..
Ofcom will only take action if a legitimate user complains, as they who hold a licence can pay thousands a year for a frequency, so they will work for their moeny.

but generally, no one cares..

i've even heard local Amateurs on 146Mhz which is legal if you hold a proper licence and an NoV but majority don't have NoV's and just go there out the way.
but again, no one cares..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
troffasky

Post by troffasky »

Does anyone know if the Bumfeng Band is actually "license free" anywhere in the world? A couple of them coincide with FRS channels.
Googling them comes up with discussions about them being the defaults, but that's about it.
They seem quite generously spaced apart to be a "real" band plan.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

troffasky wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:36 Does anyone know if the Bumfeng Band is actually "license free" anywhere in the world? A couple of them coincide with FRS channels.
Googling them comes up with discussions about them being the defaults, but that's about it.
They seem quite generously spaced apart to be a "real" band plan.
No, they are just default alignment frequencies for factory production line use