6 metre band slim jim

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

6 metre band slim jim

Post by Ant »

I really wasn't sure whether to bother with this or not, but I have done. I know it's a bit of a dead band!

Just experimenting but not holding out any luck in being heard on any mode. It's a bit of a silly antenna I guess as it's not high enough for the length! :lol:
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Ant

Re: 6 metre band slim jim

Post by Ant »

I made three contacts on my 6m slimmy tonight, wasn't expecting that.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

Slim jim is a waste of material wrappped in fictional gain over a j-pole,
They perform about the same & suffer the same issues with common mode on coax braid & mast that causes some people get decent results while others get poor results,

still nice to make an antenna & get contacts you did not expect.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Don't worry about the gain, the common mode we can deal with by winding a choke. The point of the slim jim is it can be rolled up easily for portable use.

Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I've never liked the slim jim antennas myself. My mate did one for 4 meters and it was poor. I dislike the look and design of those antennas as well. I made a simple dipole for mine and that was good enough for me, I eventually replaced it for a CB antenna for 11 meter operations. I don't bother with 4 meters anymore. My homemade 2 meter dipole works brilliantly. I know some people will say that dipoles aren't the best and they'd be right but with limitations to what I can put up a dipole is good.