Scanning is dead, nothing to listen to, the end is nigh.....

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
scottyboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Scanning is dead, nothing to listen to, the end is nigh.....

Post by scottyboy »

mattdcooley wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:15
scottyboy wrote: 16 May 2021, 20:09 Wynd you neck in with the what you smoking comment.
From what I have read it would prioritise the ESN over public but that may not be the case then.
I’ve never bothered to do a network scan as had no reason to do so.
Yea I’m that young I remember sitting with my scanner listening to analog mobiles prior to gsm
Fair enough if you didn't know. I just remember reading the same inaccuracy about 3 years ago over on a mobile phone group with people moaning about EE customers stealth paying for the ESN yet getting a lesser service as a result. The reality is ESN has (at all taxpayers expense) allowed EE to cover more remote areas with masts and customers will benefit, in fact everyone will because emergency calls can be made cross-network so anywhere with EE signal any phone can make a 999 call (think extreme rural areas with ZERO coverage previously). The relatively small bandwidth demands of the emergency services is hardly going to swamp a cell 4G cell. The public will also have fallback to 2G/3G for the time being which ESN won't so the 4G side of things has got to improve first its unclear though whether some new cells will be 4G only at 800MHz.

I usually do a manual network scan in poor coverage areas just to see what it's like on others. If you are on EE it's easy to see which is which is which although home network is always listed at the top on Android anyway. If you are on another network it lists other networks in order of strength. The ESN sometimes shows up as 23432, Virgin Mobile or even ASDA depending on SIM card! But it's quite obvious and comes up top of the list everywhere I have checked including the middle of the Standedge tunnel. It doesn't appear to be a leaky feeder system just a couple of cells either end of the tunnel.
Ok so every day is a school day.
Yea I’m with ee and since yesterday did a couple of manual scans and as you say 234 32 shows up on my list.
EE at the top and normally 234 32 at the bottom or 1 from bottom. Using an iPhone
Things will definitely need to improve as where I am and it’s not rural EE is dreadful at times, I have numerous call failed issues and poor call quality with lots of voice breaking up etc.
2M0SRM

Quansheng tg-uv2
yaesu FT-7900E
Motorola DP3600 UHF + VHF
MTH800
MTP850s
SRH3800
CM-9000
MTM5400
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I got either a hospital or old folks home on 456.9812.5 MHz CTCSS 103.5 Hz
Royroger
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Royroger »

Don't want to put my leg in it as the 90 are gone and yes I was one on CB for many many years and many scanners, but dmr even going dry unless you got the database keep it real.

Just to say I use a app on my phone at night to USA frequencies and they still got everything we had in 90 even their own FM stations lol.

Lesson to USA thu phone going bed your be surprised, police running afther criminals very interesting.

I still look at CB cobra and power packs and burners and desktop mics, I loved my setup but it all gone because it just noise

90 was so much fun loads of eyeballs many friends meet loads of girls had so many arguments and makeups was all fun.

USA still has it all going still.

I do miss CB was so fun
Last edited by Royroger on 04 Jun 2021, 06:25, edited 2 times in total.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

For anyone living near to theatres, events and tv you can always listen to the radio mics. Few people seem to do this but their few mW carry quite a way. I’m always surprised yoytube isnt full of out of tune singing and ranting and raving!
Broken_Antenna
Regular
Regular

Post by Broken_Antenna »

Royroger wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 06:18 Don't want to put my leg in it as the 90 are gone and yes I was one on CB for many many years and many scanners, but dmr even going dry unless you got the database keep it real.

Just to say I use a app on my phone at night to USA frequencies and they still got everything we had in 90 even their own FM stations lol.

Lesson to USA thu phone going bed your be surprised, police running afther criminals very interesting.

I still look at CB cobra and power packs and burners and desktop mics, I loved my setup but it all gone because it just noise

90 was so much fun loads of eyeballs many friends meet loads of girls had so many arguments and makeups was all fun.

USA still has it all going still.

I do miss CB was so fun
Those were the days, I remember going to work with my dad who fitted windows and doors etc. We had a CB in the van and travelling to places like Oxford, Swindon, Bristol, Worcester, Cheltenham, Gloucester, and Wales.. gave us many CB contacts to talk to throughout the travels.

I had a mobile CB but used it at home rather than mobile. Had numerous eyeballs and thinking back it was dangerous because I was a young boy under 18 at the time. In today's world it would be too risky. People using 200 watt burners and just keying up over the 1-9 was a major pain in the backside.. I remember once someone I had eyeballed decided to have a house party and he decided to wind up someone and less than an hour later a huge bloke was at his door holding him by his throat. I learned quick not to hang around with him for too long. Then I'd come home and listen to my Realistic Pro 2042 and pick up too much to listen to. The old Copter Chopper was a favourite. I think Privacy and the internet has killed the hobbies from back then. But it was definitely a fun time.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

paulears wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 07:19 For anyone living near to theatres, events and tv you can always listen to the radio mics. Few people seem to do this but their few mW carry quite a way. I’m always surprised yoytube isnt full of out of tune singing and ranting and raving!
Yup. Karaoke mics are audible here and some of the voices are truly shocking. We also have a local vicar who uses a radio mic and his singing voice is pitiful. All on or around 174 MHz.
The Copper Chopper used to downlink video and that was great fun to watch if you got the right gear. Gone now, probably to digital.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
andyhuk
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by andyhuk »

Bogget wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 18:05 You dont even have to buy an expencive scanner i have an Ailunce HD1 i carry it with me listen to lots on that yes you need the listening details first but its not fast on scan but if you have 6 or 10 fav freq shopwatch etc.... then its covers it very well for DMR or analog VHF or UHF.

Bogget
I realise this is a while ago... I have aquired an HD! and I put a post on the HD1 Facebook page with just 1 non helpful reply. I only have a few DMR voice freqs near me that I can listen to with DSD+. How do I (can I, even) set up the HD1 to listen to these TXs. Is there anywhere that has a step by step set up to do this? Here are the settings that presumably need to set up...
Work Mode
Slot (OK from dsd+)
ID Setting (radio-1)
CC (OK from dsd+)
Tx Authority
RX Groups Lists (group1)
Contacts Priority
CALL1

and then I have RX Group Lists...

Hopefully someone here can help me with this as the FB group was really no use at all.
Ta, Andy.
moj

Post by moj »

It looks like you have answered your own question AndyH , except you need to disable the transmit frequency so you don't key up on the frequency your trying to monitor .

Also it helps to know wherebouts you are based ? just incase another member who maybe able to help is nearby to you .
solarstorm
Regular
Regular

Post by solarstorm »

Up until recently, around where I stay, Shopwatch/pubwatch used NXDN48 with control channels on 453.1875 and 453.775 which I could get on an SDR Dongle with DSD+. Just within the last week it all suddenly disappeared, these Data channels where on 24/7 for a few years now they suddenly stopped, don’t know if it’s temporary or if they have migrated to a cellular based system. I even checked the Ofcom WTR with no joy and no local articles anywhere about upgraded shopwatch systems etc..
if they gone 4G then that only leaves 1 DMR shopping mall, airport baggage staff , DMR hospital porters and some boring workers chit chat on DMR.
Had thought about investing in a whistler TRX1 or other DMR scanner for out and about but before long that could be pointless…..
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

It'll just be aviation, marine and bbc/ commercial am/fm radio you'll be listening to if frequencies are posted up.
You can never have enough radios!
moj

Post by moj »

out of curiousity which area are you in solarstorm ?

and i completely agree if it keeps going so public and all the idiot's boasting about what they have found on public forum's then i can see encryption will be used more and more sadly .

people are buying scanners and radio's thinking its all legal and it's there god given right to listen to whatever they want and their able to post videos of their audio with no issue's and that's the nail in the coffin to monitoring which will push user's back into just listening to airband and ham radio etc
solarstorm
Regular
Regular

Post by solarstorm »

The 80s and 90s I think where best for scanning
Last edited by solarstorm on 06 Sep 2022, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
solarstorm
Regular
Regular

Post by solarstorm »

Think airwave is going cellular soon even though it was secure enough as it was …..
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

I'm in the sticks near Wetherby and there is much less than a few years ago. The clink disappeared, as did shopwatch, skips, buses and a load of other stuff. Harrogate traffic wardens are still on analog but the hospital seems to have gone.

Systems that reached 20 miles outside the urban areas used to reach me but now they're mostly gone, there's not even stuff on PMR around here.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Anytone99, I've tried to reply to your PM but the message won't seem to go beyond my outbox so I don't know if you've got the reply.