Where have all the Hams gone (VHF)

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
InTheClouds

Re: Where have all the Hams gone (VHF)

Post by InTheClouds »

Sunspots are still a bit hit and miss, we are getting the occasional flurry and these clearly affect the lower frequency hams bands as well. There is always some international contacts there on 20m and lower. Much depends on your RX noise floor at the home QTH.

Digital modes are good in the sense they can hear below the noise floor that our ears cannot and with the massive noise issue most suffer in urban environments that is helpful. I have no interest personally, for me radio is about talking to others, voice to ears and ears to voice, each to their own and if you enjoy digital then good for you. I need a mic, listening a bit of a hunt and calling to be engaged in radio personally without this most of the fun and challenge evaporates for myself anyway.

You have to find what you like and work out how much or little you want to do. I have probably spent as much time making and testing antennas as I have DXing so far... I have a DIY one for each band 15m down to 160m. It is nice to have more options, even if it is a bit cold at times. Some people are up for a 5-10min chat but with the dx it is very short and if you speak to some you feel you have outstayed your welcome if your QSO goes beyond 1 minute.

If foundation licence holders stay to their 10W, the many hours calling vs the 30 second QSO's you tend to get might not be quite what was being expected (on 20m/40m anyway). You need a good antenna, low noise floor and patience to make decent contacts on 10W... especially if you want to make intercontinental (outside of Europe) contacts in relatively low sunspot times.

When the spots come back, it'll all be ticking along again.
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

I'm still kicking about occasionally on 2m. My main activity was hilltopping whether in the car or SOTA style. Both currently not allowed.

My "shack" is the same room I've been working from home since last March. I'm sat in here all day working. At the end of the work day I shut everything down and leave the room.

This means that, without being able to work portable and without being able to stay in the same room for over 12 hours without going mad... I've not been on the radio very much.

That said, I've got a week off work this week and have had a nice QSO with some new M7 locals on 2m a couple of days ago, so it hasn't died whilst I've been absent, quite the opposite.
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
NicolaJayne
Regular
Regular

Post by NicolaJayne »

- licenced listeners bemoaning the bands are dead ... are you calling CQ, are you using your local repeaters? joining in with local nets ?

i'm lucky my QTH is reasonably high and i've got a reasonable take off so my line of sight is pretty reasonable and get a decent enough reach from the comfort of my own desk and chair ... but i'm hearign nad working stations out towards the Peaks, down into Cambridgeshire and Norfolk ...
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

The problem is plenty people hear you calling CQ on 500 or wherever, but very few are likely to answer a CQ to someone they dont already know. The Hobby is quite "cliquey" and people just want to talk to the same people, about the same old crap day in day out. Some people won't even talk to any of the "lesser" callsigns, like the M3s, M6's or M7's. Its sad, but in some areas very true.

"This is a local shop, for local people, there's nothing for you here!"
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Sorry for replying here as I l know VHF is mentioned and I tend to hang around HF but it is probably relevant through the bands. Ham radio is an odd one to figure out, I have decided not to bother and take it at face value, based on my own experiences and attempt to get what I want out of it. (I am not entirely sure what that is yet myself) I have had ok chats with people above my callsign and most people have seemed quite friendly. Sometimes it does feel I have been ignored even though you are reasonably sure you are getting through be it DX or local.

Most of the time the shortness on HF leaves me a bit cold. I reserve full judgement until I have greater experience.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

I used to have 2m ticking over on the RX whilst I was at work, I'd often here M3s and M6s calling away all day and getting nothing, then minutes later someone calls for their mate, he replies and they QSY. That happening once can be dismissed as poor timing, but I'd literally hear it several times a day, to the point where I was convinced that some stations would purposefully do it to send a message to the ignored station. It's quite a sad state of affairs. Everyone starts somewhere and if you don't like how someone operates then how are you supposed to help and educate them if you don't engage with them and talk to them? Its not the hobby that's the problem, its *some* of the people.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
NicolaJayne
Regular
Regular

Post by NicolaJayne »

MrWeetabix wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 18:41 The problem is plenty people hear you calling CQ on 500 or wherever, but very few are likely to answer a CQ to someone they dont already know. The Hobby is quite "cliquey" and people just want to talk to the same people, about the same old crap day in day out. Some people won't even talk to any of the "lesser" callsigns, like the M3s, M6's or M7's. Its sad, but in some areas very true.

"This is a local shop, for local people, there's nothing for you here!"
and this is very sad , as no one is expecting you to necessarily do any more that exchange signal reports, names and rough location/ locator , even though it is nice to have a ragchew sometimes

certainly there are a few people i won't necessarily jump to answer a CQ from , but if it;s someone i've not heard before or not worked for good few months ( can say that now ) i'll come back to them

if nowt else it gives people a clue on how they are getting out
NicolaJayne
Regular
Regular

Post by NicolaJayne »

InTheClouds wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 21:27 Sorry for replying here as I l know VHF is mentioned and I tend to hang around HF but it is probably relevant through the bands. Ham radio is an odd one to figure out, I have decided not to bother and take it at face value, based on my own experiences and attempt to get what I want out of it. (I am not entirely sure what that is yet myself) I have had ok chats with people above my callsign and most people have seemed quite friendly. Sometimes it does feel I have been ignored even though you are reasonably sure you are getting through be it DX or local.

Most of the time the shortness on HF leaves me a bit cold. I reserve full judgement until I have greater experience.

sometimes on HF people are chasing DX so it will be "5, 9, 14, f*** off" also if it;s station overseas who is not confident chatting in English , they might not be able to chew that rag with you

where 2m and 70cm people are much more up for a ragchew especially if it's not absolutely heaving ... ( have seen/heard plenty and even caused a coupel of pile ups myself on 2m last summer )
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Yes I understand the DX thing but if you compare it to 11m DX, QSO's are significantly longer even if only 2-3 mins. I suppose your average 11m dx is a 5 mins affair if you are rubbing along nice can be 45mins even on E layer summer skip.

I am not sure about others but when I have put effort in to make a contact (and especially at foundation level in low sun spot times... and yes I did use just 10W it was a real struggle to be heard calling CQ/CQ DX) having a short chat is quite an important part of making the contact after many hours calling, it may be your sole contact of the day. It is only then you get a bit of a feel for the conditions, getting a sense of fading etc. And the longer the distance the longer it is nice to hold the contact. I am not talking about life story but 5-10 mins would be nice.

"Bish bash bosh" QSO's are not even a QSO... and immensely impersonal, most of the time I don't even get working conditions through (from both sides) competitions are the epitome of this, actually has anyone got a contest listing for 2021 ? I will use it as an advance warning to avoid HF altogether those days.

In ham radio there is a clear hierarchy of qualification. Now that does not necessarily mean that much in terms of how people are on the radio as there are some nice people on (most seem fine) and I understand the need but it probably has some influence. It is a bit regimented, that is my personal view so far. That approach suits some I guess, despite the technical study needs which is clearly interesting for many including myself.

You have to find your own path with it.. I'll be cutting people off short myself soon (or listening to what they are saying and avoiding them when they call) when in Rome do as the Romans.
warhorse

Post by warhorse »

They all gone digital on 2 meters using DSTAR DMR NXDN P25 YSF C4FM with OLED , internet w.i.f.i either mobile and home based look on moonraker or ebay for raspberry hot spot devices Nuff said!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Thats a valid point. Traditional FM will be quiet when small groups all go to other modes. Taking what can be a small number of local users and spreading those users out over Digital modes, SSB, Repeaters etc etc means less activity for your FM users

Tim Tom
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26SW010

Post by Tim Tom »

Yup pretty much dead on 2 meters in my area. Whenever I get chance in my car I set my dual band radio to scan between the 2 meter and 70cm repeaters in the area and always find traffic in 70cm and nothing on 2 meters
26-SW-010
26-TM-087

Tim The Milky Bar Kid
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

VHF 2 meters isn't going to be as active as it was ten years ago but there is still some activity to be found. Not sure where you are but in my area 2 meters FM or SSB has activity. 2 meters is one of the most VHF active bands. 4 meters is dead I gave that a good try once but like many I see why people gave up on it. Keep trying with two meters its an excellent band with a decent setup. :thumbup:
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Tim Tom wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 22:32 Yup pretty much dead on 2 meters in my area. Whenever I get chance in my car I set my dual band radio to scan between the 2 meter and 70cm repeaters in the area and always find traffic in 70cm and nothing on 2 meters
I don't find much on 70cms anymore, just the odd activity on DMR all analog repeaters are dead in my area. I have the opposite to you. Two meters is more active.
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Last week or maybe 10 days ago the 70cm band was alive making many contacts into Scotland IOM and Ireland from my qth on Anglesey.
Was active for a few days and to be honest i haven't been on there this week so not sure if it has been any good.