G callsigns for those passing Full exam

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Re: G callsigns for those passing Full exam

Post by Transwarp »

Maybe I've missed it but couldn't see 'PEE' on the list of forbidden although 'POO' is, does that mean PEE was allowed?
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Maybe I've missed it but couldn't see 'PEE' on the list of forbidden although 'POO' is, does that mean PEE was allowed and somebody has it?
MorseMan
Call Sign: 26TM2806

Post by MorseMan »

k40 wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 20:44 I passed the RAE in 98 but by then it was on to M1D** callsigns I always wanted a G call but I was too late.
I wonder if I could change it to a G?
If you want to change it as a full license holder, You must surrender your license & wait 2 years.
You can then apply as a returner.

Don't let them re-issue your old call to you, They will try, Insist on a new call & pay the fee.
2E0IHR
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0IHR

Post by 2E0IHR »

I've noticed that quite a few people are getting G callsigns, I know there are some old timers that seem to think licences gained under the old system are in some way more valid and the new system is too easy. The system is the system though and that's the only way if getting a licence these days so I don't really get their point. However if you're getting a g callsign to try to pretend you passed years ago that's just as pathetic really. I took my foundation about 3 years ago, the intermediate about a month ago and am going to try and do my full in the next few months, but I'll just take the M0 callsign as that's the current range. I'm going to do this online course with this OARC outfit, the thing I find pretty odd though is in the chat forum for people taking the full licence course I commented "any body enjoying the good conditions on HF at the moment, I've made contacts to blah blah blah with just my 50W and OCFD....." I got no response, I dunno and reading through the other comments etc, I suggested a net for people taking the course, but I get the impression there's a lot of people getting licences and upgrading to intermediate and and then full even but it's seems they're not actually doing any operating. I guess there's nothing to stop you gaining a licence and not t using it at all, but I don't really understand why you'd bother. I got a foundation so I could get on the air, got the intermediate so I could actually make some contacts outside of the UK on HF, and the full because a bit more power will come in handy. I guess maybe some people just like collecting qualifications but it all seems most peculiar to me,
2E0IHR
Regular
Regular

Post by 2E0IHR »

Saying that, if you don't do any operating it's a pretty cheap hobby really, none of these expensive rigs to fork out for. But at the same time you get a callsign so you can set up a qrz.com page and design a little avatar featuring your callsign for the online world, I guess you're then a virtual radio ham all the ham you without the radio.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

I have always fancied getting the M2MP callsign ...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Just because you're not getting responses to an online group, doesn't mean people aren't operating.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
2E0IHR
Regular
Regular

Post by 2E0IHR »

I dunno I just don't get all this kinda social media, virtual world kinda stuff that seems to dominate the world these days. I was supposed to do the course with them for the intermediate, I was in the first zoom or whatever it's called session then just taught myself by reading the book I will probably just end up doing the same for the full licence, I don't know how big the step up from intermediate is because I'm waiting for the book to turn up. Do you really need to do a course to stand a chance of passing, or is self teaching realistic? I often find things make more sense when I work them out myself must be the way my brain works, ie not the same as most people I guess. It seems the whole licencing thing is just a hoop to jump through really, they said last time that the course was " designed to make you pass the exam" so it's more about passing an exam than actually understanding the subject? Anyway who cares I guess if I want 400w I'll have to jump through that hoop, although 50w seems to work the world at the moment, just as long as you don't encounter too many pile ups of Italians running 5KW into a 5000 element Yagi, I choose my times to operate based on propagation but also when it's not too busy at antisocial hours etc I find the pile ups aren't so plentiful and the mega stations are fewer. Even 100w will probably be a bit of a boost and no need to fork out for some mega bucks linear either.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Don't be so focussed on more power. I've never used 400w and have no intention to. Most of the time I operate between 10 and 50 watts.

Most of it is self teaching, you need to put the effort in, but classes can help, but you can do it all alone too. To pass the exam, in my opinion you do need to know the subject, so it's not just a case of getting through the exam, so in essence there is more to it than learning " designed to make you pass the exam".
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

2E0IHR wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 23:01 I dunno I just don't get all this kinda social media, virtual world kinda stuff that seems to dominate the world these days. I was supposed to do the course with them for the intermediate, I was in the first zoom or whatever it's called session then just taught myself by reading the book I will probably just end up doing the same for the full licence, I don't know how big the step up from intermediate is because I'm waiting for the book to turn up. Do you really need to do a course to stand a chance of passing, or is self teaching realistic? I often find things make more sense when I work them out myself must be the way my brain works, ie not the same as most people I guess. It seems the whole licencing thing is just a hoop to jump through really, they said last time that the course was " designed to make you pass the exam" so it's more about passing an exam than actually understanding the subject? Anyway who cares I guess if I want 400w I'll have to jump through that hoop, although 50w seems to work the world at the moment, just as long as you don't encounter too many pile ups of Italians running 5KW into a 5000 element Yagi, I choose my times to operate based on propagation but also when it's not too busy at antisocial hours etc I find the pile ups aren't so plentiful and the mega stations are fewer. Even 100w will probably be a bit of a boost and no need to fork out for some mega bucks linear either.
Your posts would be much easier to read if you broke them up into paragraph's :)
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
2E0IHR
Regular
Regular

Post by 2E0IHR »

Recently it seems like the conditions have been really good. With my 50w I have worked US (lots of stations), Canada, Argentina, Aruba, Curacao, Kuwait , UAE, New Zealand (only one station), Australia and loads more, so yeah I'm thinking do I really need more than 50w. I don't see myself getting a Linear Amp anytime soon, they seem to cost a fortune.

I'm using an off centre fed dipole, with an extra element so it's effectively two off centre dipoles which cover all bands 40-6 without an ATU although 17 needs an ATU really. SWR is around 2.2:1 on 17, so the rig's high SWR protection cuts the power down if I don't use the tuner.

The antenna is about 6m agl, it works really well on the bands 20m upwards, but could do with being higher for 40m, too much is being lost due to ground absorption. I can make Europe wide contacts but have only managed one US station on 40m. I'm not sure I'd get away with a much taller mast though.

Have been thinking about a minibeam for the upper HF bands but I'm sure I'd need planning permission for that, which will cost a fair amount in top of the expensive antenna, mast and rotator.

I think I' will try teaching myself the full licence content , I'm always reading up on things radio anyway, if I have a question in my head I like to research the answer, you end up learning a lot in the process
Ant

Post by Ant »

Yes use self teaching if you're good at researching and have an understanding, which you obviously do. Take your time until you're happy with the content.

Charlie Hotel
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26ch01

Post by Charlie Hotel »

I’m currently studying for my full. I’ll just choose the next call sign on the list when I pass. Did that with my M7 (and it was actually my initials) and also with my 2E but that’s HZH.

That said I’ve no issue with what call signs people have, it’s there choice.
Yaesu FT-710
Kenwood TS 850 SAT
Stalker 9FDX
Cobra 148 gtl dx
Rotel RVC240 mid and splits
Uniden uniace 200 mid and splits black front
Fidelity Homebase
Ham jumbo
Stalker 5
Midland 77/09
Colt45A

Handles.
Originally Clothes Horse '88-'89
Then Charlie Hotel '89-present
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Wonder if anyone ever had their call sign inked on them?
Allan666
Call Sign: G0CRB

Post by Allan666 »

Reading from above posts, It got me thinking that allowing old calls to be re-used this opens up a can of worms or pirates, It has made it so easy too now just pick an old call s and use it !! Why even bother to take the RAE. It is sad how things have gone over recent years.
If the problen cant be sorted with a "LUMP-HAMMER" then its most likely to be an Electrical fault