G callsigns for those passing Full exam

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

This is interesting from southgatearc.org:

Ofcom allows those who pass the amateur radio Full exam to select a callsign from the old G and M call blocks including G3, G4, G5 and M5

In recent weeks a number of those passing their online remote invigilation Full exam have chosen to take the opportunity to get one of these callsigns. It requires paying a fee of £20 but enables amateurs to get a call suffix with letters that are meaningful to them.

G or M + 3 letter calls for a Full licence can be obtained from Ofcom by filling in a paper application form and giving your three preferred choices of callsign.
The form, OfW346, can be downloaded from the Ofcom website at
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... OfW346.pdf

See under Amateur Radio Licensees -> Postal Application at
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-li ... ng-service

Ref: http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/n ... l-exam.htm
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
joshovpandy
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: GW5NIC

Re: G callsigns for those passing Full exam

Post by joshovpandy »

Dont quote me exactly but this has been available since 2018 I believe, as I understand short calls so those with 2 trailing letters were stopped from being reissued last year but you can certainly get an old G * + 3 Letters.

I have become a Full licensee recently and have become GW5NIC.

On the other hand however I have recieved quite a lot of negative feedback from the ( Senior ) operators who think that its disrespectfull the reissuing of callsigns, a lengthy conversation ensued where I lost the argument, sorry gave up the argument. It really has caused quite a stir certainly more than I was expecting.

Would I change my call however........ Hell NO.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

joshovpandy wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 21:34 Dont quote me exactly but this has been available since 2018 I believe, as I understand short calls so those with 2 trailing letters were stopped from being reissued last year but you can certainly get an old G * + 3 Letters.

I have become a Full licensee recently and have become GW5NIC.

On the other hand however I have recieved quite a lot of negative feedback from the ( Senior ) operators who think that its disrespectfull the reissuing of callsigns, a lengthy conversation ensued where I lost the argument, sorry gave up the argument. It really has caused quite a stir certainly more than I was expecting.

Would I change my call however........ Hell NO.
I have a funny feeling you could be right actually, and it was only after I posted it that I thought the same as you! I noticed the information posted an a number of places online as a new news item and that's why it caught my attention.

Yes, I have read the negative responses from some quarters as well, and I can understand to a certain extent why people complain and are frustrated by the lack of consistency displayed by OFCOM in recent years, and the distinct lack of interest, more than anything in actually applying their enforcement powers for example, when they should, but are happy to use their valuable resources for this type of thing.

Ha, ha, I am starting to sound like them now - moan, moan, moan!

Personally I have no desire for a 'vanity' call but I can understand that some calls are 'easier' when on the key, or if you wanted a call for nostalgic reasons etc and good luck to them I say!

I do not drive, but if I did I would not want a personalised number plate either but would not criticise those who think it's a good idea.

Oh, by the way, well done getting your full call :thumbup:
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
joshovpandy
Regular
Regular

Post by joshovpandy »

Thanks for the kind words on my Full license, yeah I have also seen the news being posted lately by Soutgate ARC being one. It is certainly not a new thing though, maybe there has just been a rise giving popularity.

Licenses being reissued on the other hand is no new issue neither after doing some research some licenses I see have been issued up to 3 times G2 and G5's from my personal research of this topic, and may I add not just to family members of the original call.

I have delved quite deep to ascertain if my call has previously been used however I cant find no information to say it has. I have emailed collectors of G5 series QSL cards, to which many have replied and confirmed they do not have anything with my call and I scoured the internet to no avail. Mine is a little diffrent to most other calls as the G5 + 3 Letter calls were issued between the years of 1966-1981 and originally issued to foreign nationals as a form of reciprocal ham radio licence. They were all withdrawn and either they used existing home calls with additional UK prefix / callsign, or if applicable they could apply for a UK licence. the complication does not end there however G5AAA-G5DZZ were used for Class A's and permitted operation on HF bands
G5NAA-G5ZZZ were used for Class B's and permitted operation on 144 MHz and above.

Thats why I am finding it difficult to come across any Qsl cards etc as it was a Class B license 144+ and does not feature in the international callbooks for them years. The possibility of the original overseas visitor who may have held this callsign still being alive is quite high as it was likely to have been issued in the early 70s if at all it was.

Talk about rambling, I started now!

If anybody has any information for me mind I would be very greatfull

MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Are they actually reissuing calls of old actual people, or just calls which weren't issued fir whatever reasons during their run?

I know that sometimes people have their relatives callsigns issued to themselves when they pass etc, but I am not sure how I'd feel about putting on some dead man's shoes, especially a stranger. Seems disrespectful....
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

It could be either way I believe.

A good example that I have referenced before is the callsign G5YL, this has been 'owned' by 3 amateurs in total.

First by a guy called Benjamin Hesketh in the 1920's and then Miss P.E.M. Bryan in the 1930's and now it is 'owned' by a lady called Krystyna Haywood.

Her QRZ page is here if you want to see the interesting and fascinating history attached to this callsign and how she asked OFCOM for it and it was granted:

https://www.qrz.com/DB/G5YL

I know what you are saying though and it's not something I am personally interested in doing.
joshovpandy
Regular
Regular

Post by joshovpandy »

I have recently spoken to a Gentleman who has a G2 Callsign of which has been reissued on 3 occasions neither of them being family / related in any way.

This has gone on for a number of years it is certainly not a new procedure, I would be more than happy for my callsign to be reused after I pop my clogs. If someone will get happiness from it or if the intials are of significance to them I would like to think it will live on and cause someone else enjoyment for the next generation.

I would think that if the family has any concerns they would take the call on themselves and if they are not ham radio operators I struggle to understand their concern. They could gift the call to local clubs or freinds if they so wished.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

There’s quite a lively discussion about this on HRD at the moment.

Again, I think if a call hasn't been issued before then no issues, crack on. If someone has an issue with that then thats entirely their issue and if they wont speak to you because of that then its probably not gunna be someone you’ll miss speaking to anyway.

Bottom line is that due to its popularity (which should be celebreated actually), we will eventually run out of call signs anyway and have to start re-issueing at some stage.

Crack on, pay your wedge, choose your call. :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
k40
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM788

Post by k40 »

I passed the RAE in 98 but by then it was on to M1D** callsigns I always wanted a G call but I was too late.
I wonder if I could change it to a G?
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

A callsign is a callsign but these that want a really old call are in my opinion just trying to virtue signal.
As for a SK callsign unless it's your dad/mam or uncle/auntie why would you want it, seems strange to me.
But hey crack on.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Bit of a status thing maybe like having a personal car number plate. Mind you I do prefer the G series rather than the current M but it's only my preference.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Happy with my old G7 call... its also the plate on one of my bikes...often been asked if i would change it....never!
Proud to be a G...
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

I think it's a joke and a farce..

i understood.
you could have given or reissued to you an old call G whatever if it was a family call, left to you or a SK call with families permission type thing,
other hand also you could apply the same way for a reissue for a club call..,
but a call sign was yours for life, and even in death it was still yours not transferable unless to family or special reasons.

to pass a test now where a full call hasn't even done a morse test and be allowed a random reissue because 'the call sign is no longer in use' is wrong,
the M5 (which i am) was an idea then got dropped, those that hold an M5 were all asked when the morse was dropped if we wanted to 'trade up' to an M0 so i assume it would look better,
many i know traded up as a piddly M5 only did a 5wpm but an M0 was a proper amateur who did 12wpm..
now those with an M5 are proud of what they hold and are considered extremely rare call signs, even having people asking what they as in special calls, special evens etc.

but what is worse,
is someone passing the full as putting down a G two letter call, an M two letter and generally taking the **** out of the licencing and ofcom and worse being given a G two letter..
something they have no connection with, no need for and shouldn't have..
i can't just contact Ofcom and request a change to a G two letter, or an M0, there were purposes and reasons only,

now days Ofcom don't seem to care, i have issues an NoV for 2m extension, NoV for 4m extension i have two repeaters and a club call sign for a club i don't even have of exist's..!!!

Seems they just issue what ever you ask for,
hey they even issue a full call to people who 'claimed' they passed in 80's and 90's and have no proof, as Ofcoms records don't go back that car (post DTI and RA only) they just need an RSGB candidate number (ooh i lost it but here's my RAE pass) they will issue a callsign.
no proof the person actually took a test either, just a pass that could easily have been doctored of forged..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
NicolaJayne
Regular
Regular

Post by NicolaJayne »

k40 wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 20:44 I passed the RAE in 98 but by then it was on to M1D** callsigns I always wanted a G call but I was too late.
I wonder if I could change it to a G?
AFAIK only by rescinding your licence , waiting 2 years and applying for a new licence ... as revalidating within 2 years of rescinding would just activate the old callsign, there are a small number of very niche reasons why a callsign might changed other than upgrading class of licence
M3PIE
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26EK1701

Post by M3PIE »

Ofcom release amateur radio callsign database
In response to a Freedom of Information (FoI) request Ofcom have released the database of 147,877 Amateur Radio callsigns for the UK and Crown Dependencies for May 2021

The database can be useful for people wanting to apply for a specific call sign as it shows calls which are not available for issue.

Download the May 2021 Issued Callsigns Database from
https://whatdotheyknow.com/request/7479 ... signs.xlsx

The accompanying Ofcom FoI response letter is at
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1789358

To determine which callsigns might be available in addition to the database of issued callsigns you should also use the Ofcom database of Forbidden Suffixes at
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... l-sign.csv

Those who've passed the RSGB Full exam have the option of applying for callsigns from G and M call blocks including G2, G3, G4, G5 and M5. Details of how to apply for specific callsigns are at
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/n ... l-exam.htm

For those selecting a Foundation or Intermediate callsign the database can be used to see which calls are available in the M3, M6, M7 or 2*0, 2*1 call blocks.