Pirate station "MAR" on 87.5 north west???

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
GoldVolvo
Regular
Regular

Pirate station "MAR" on 87.5 north west???

Post by GoldVolvo »

Just randomly found a pirate station broadcasting on 87.5 (we normally have our in-car mod set there as no QRM from adjacent stations). Seems to have either just started up today, or it's bouncing in from elsewhere but I feel it's local to Cheshire area.

Definitely a pirate as their only advert was for Offshore Echos magazine, ID'd as MAR (music alternative radio "free radio for the nation") and AFAIK there's no licences for 87.5FM in the UK anyway as it'd modulate off the bottom of the band.

Glad to see there's still some pirate activity ongoing in the UK, even more so to know it's getting out "oop norf" as well since (being a mere 39 years young) the only real pirate radio I recall hearing is the London based stations when doing jobs down that way. My dad used to listen to Caroline back in the day.

Really intrigued to know if this MAR is local to us or not, anyone else hear them? Tried to get them in the house but my recievers are too old to get that far down the dial (Ferguson 3926 Cassiever in the kitchen, GEC BC5645 or Ekco U353 in the bedroom haha)
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Pirate station "MAR" on 87.5 north west???

Post by Andy »

Back in the 80's there was 'Merseyland Alternative Radio' on Medium Wave. They later moved to FM and I think they may be online now.
There was quite a lot of activity in the North in the 70's, from MAR, Radio Jackie North, Radio Free Liverpool and into the 80's with the FM boom - KFM, Small Town Radio, Carousel etc.
I was involved with Radio Aquarius in Manchester (MW) from 1973 to 1976 and ran Andromeda Radio (FM) from 1979 to 1984. There was also Sunshine Radio (FM) in the 90's, run by a friend of mine. It was all good fun.
It's worth looking at the Mersey Pirates site, especially the forum, there's lots of old crocks like me on there!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

Is it this station? http://www.mar.me.uk/
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Not looked into the pirate radio scene for a good few years now so I take it the majority off the pirates from the major cities have now since long gone ? last time I heard there was dozens off them and that most high rise flats had a pirate station either operating from them or had there radio aerials for linking up to the remote tx. wonder why they dissapeared especially with the lack off resources to track them down ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
GoldVolvo
Regular
Regular

Post by GoldVolvo »

Wow not been on for a while but had to log in today since I've been checking back on 87.5 now and again to see if it came back on... Well, today there was certainly a station broadcasting on 87.5, but.... They ID'd as Radio Caroline coming from IOM :? Now, I don't know if it was a "fake" Caroline, if they do indeed still broadcast in the IOM but I was getting some weird skip coming in, or perhaps someone rebroadcasting the digital stream but would be cool if anyone else knows or even heard it?

And thanks all who replied, I believe it could have been Merseyland although the ID I caught was 100% Music Alt. Radio (interesting they also mentioned free radio in the ID, maybe a small-time hobby station operator just learning the ropes, might also explain any rebroadcasting of Caroline)
GoldVolvo
Regular
Regular

Post by GoldVolvo »

Ah, just realised it must be a rebroadcast since Caroline North IS in fact broadcasting from Ross Revenge on the Blackwater this weekend, albeit on 1368AM and digital... Well, thanks to whomever is firing up their FM station and doing this, made my day at least!