iCom f4002 PTT button with headset - internal mic

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
thoward
Regular
Regular

iCom f4002 PTT button with headset - internal mic

Post by thoward »

Hi

I have some Icom F4002, I'm hoping to wire up some existing headsets for them, but they don't have PTT button so I was hoping just to use the one on the radio.

When I use the PTT button on the side of the radio, it always uses the internal mic rather than using the headset mic. I looked in the programming but it doesn't seem to be an option. Is this normal behaviour, it's clever enough to know which PTT switch was used and use the appropriate mic?
Chris_M1BIK
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M1BIK

Re: iCom f4002 PTT button with headset - internal mic

Post by Chris_M1BIK »

I'm not saying specifically to that set, but if you wire a headset so it provides the mic and ear connections only, and the radio doesn't bypass the internal PTT by socket sensing/switching (some radios determine an external PTT by an impedance change across the external PTT connections to determine internal or external PTT) then you should be able to figure it out.

Some radios simply don't disable the internal mic when externals are used, just like some phones still send audio out of the main speaker even when hands-free headsets etc are used. Crazy, but it happens.

Most handheld's I've used didn't disable the onboard PTT button when a PTT headset or speaker/mic connected, so it's a 50/50 thing and if wired to avoid external PTT override, is doable.