TYT MD-9600

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

TYT MD-9600

Post by Auldgeek »

Moonraker now taking orders for the Dualband DMR mobile. At long last, it looks to be here.

I'll be having one I think.

http://www.moonraker.eu/popular-product ... ransceiver
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Re: TYT MD-9600

Post by GaryWilson »

I like the look of that, could be a candidate for my car as well I've been bitten by the DMR bug !!! :D
26CT1836 2E0GGQ
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Hmm cud be me.. 45w be handy on uhf...
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Power settings are a bit crap for FL holders.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Farty wrote:Power settings are a bit crap for FL holders.
Yes, noticed the power settings and found the lower figure to be a strange choice. I wonder if this can be adjusted in software?

I wouldn't be surprised if there's additional settings. I have a Wouxon mobile that has 4 power settings and there was never any mention of that when it was first released.

I'm sure we will find out soon enough!
Auldgeek - Drew

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

kilimax wrote:
Farty wrote:Power settings are a bit crap for FL holders.
Yes, noticed the power settings and found the lower figure to be a strange choice. I wonder if this can be adjusted in software?

I wouldn't be surprised if there's additional settings. I have a Wouxon mobile that has 4 power settings and there was never any mention of that when it was first released.

I'm sure we will find out soon enough!
Check out this unboxing video. At 6:04, the power menu is shown. Appears to be multiple settings.

https://youtu.be/yauK1AVP5Ag
Auldgeek - Drew

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

My MD-9600 arrived yesterday. Haven't had time to take it out of its box as yet. Hopefully do that over the weekend and get a codeplug loaded.

Will report on how I get on in due course.
Auldgeek - Drew

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

ok, it's out of the box and powered up.

The radio has already been supplied already programmed with just about every analogue and digital Amateur frequency there is, along with marine band and a few others such as PMR446 etc.
At first, when I selected the analogue repeater zone, I was unable to hear any repeater but knew I was accessing them. I suspected straight away that the receiver had ctcss decode enabled and sure enough, when I uploaded the default codeplug to my PC, all of the repeaters had been set to 60.0hz dec enabled. I think I'll let Moonraker know about this as everyone will be in the same boat. Anyway, a quick change to the codeplug and the radio was now receiving as expected.

Now for the digital side!
Auldgeek - Drew

GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Post by GaryWilson »

kilimax wrote:ok, it's out of the box and powered up.

The radio has already been supplied already programmed with just about every analogue and digital Amateur frequency there is, along with marine band and a few others such as PMR446 etc.
At first, when I selected the analogue repeater zone, I was unable to hear any repeater but knew I was accessing them. I suspected straight away that the receiver had ctcss decode enabled and sure enough, when I uploaded the default codeplug to my PC, all of the repeaters had been set to 60.0hz dec enabled. I think I'll let Moonraker know about this as everyone will be in the same boat. Anyway, a quick change to the codeplug and the radio was now receiving as expected.

Now for the digital side!
I really like the look of this one, let us know how it performs Drew,

73 Gary.
26CT1836 2E0GGQ
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

see the thread in the licenced and imported transceivers forum section

there are some major soft and firmware issues that need to be resolved - hardware seems good though

regards
BB
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

bigbloke wrote:see the thread in the licenced and imported transceivers forum section

there are some major soft and firmware issues that need to be resolved - hardware seems good though

regards
BB
Yes, I can confirm there are a few issues but thankfully, none of them seem to be hardware related. Mind you, for a radio that has been in development for so long, it's strange that some of the issues being reported are so basic and elementary.

With mine, I have the witnessed the following issues:

If both VFOs are set to the same band, the radio often fails to transmit when a repeater channel is selected. There is a firmware bug in the admit criteria. The workaround is to set one of the VFOs to the other band. So if you are using UHF, add a VHF frequency into the Zone information and select this.

If the Zone Name takes up the maximum number of characters, the display is corrupted. Workaround is to use a shortened name

When connected to a repeater, if you try to TX too quickly, you can lock up the transmitter and to fix this, I need to either, change frequency or if it persists, I need to disconnect it from the DC supply.

The squelch level when set to normal, is way too tight, making signals in smooth noise not being heard. Some folk saying sensitivity is poor but the squelch issue is the likely cause.

Beeps and overall volume, are way too high. Needs some changing. It's particularly noticeable when switching between analogue and digital.

So while these are annoying and frustrating, I feel that most, if not all issues can be resolved with firmware updates.

It does work and is essentially a good radio but needs refinement.
Auldgeek - Drew

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

One of the biggest complaints of this new radio is the volume control (or lack of it).
When I experienced this issue, it occurred to me that the control acted in a linear fashion. You get nothing then boom, you nearly keeck yourself, it's that loud.
Well, it now appears that TYT have fitted a B taper control which is indeed linear. A taper is log and should have been used.

Oops! :thumbdown:

So, unlikely to be fixed in firmware. I wonder what TYT will do?
There is a way to fix this that involves shunting the wiper control to ground via a resistor but that would invalidate your warranty wouldn't it? Maybe the dealer (Moonraker) will provide such a service.

Anyway, bit of a schoolboy error if you ask me.
Auldgeek - Drew

humaxf1
Regular
Regular

Post by humaxf1 »

kilimax wrote: With mine, I have the witnessed the following issues:

If both VFOs are set to the same band, the radio often fails to transmit when a repeater channel is selected. There is a firmware bug in the admit criteria. The workaround is to set one of the VFOs to the other band. So if you are using UHF, add a VHF frequency into the Zone information and select this.
Hi Kilimax,

I was led to believe that the top row 'A' VFO/Memory bank was UHF only and the bottom row 'B' is VHF only therefore only UHF channels can be transferred to A and VHF channels to B.

have you managed to have 2x UHF or 2x VHF on both lines?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

humaxf1 wrote:
Hi Kilimax,

I was led to believe that the top row 'A' VFO/Memory bank was UHF only and the bottom row 'B' is VHF only therefore only UHF channels can be transferred to A and VHF channels to B.

have you managed to have 2x UHF or 2x VHF on both lines?
Hello,

yes you can have the same bands in both VFOs at the same time. Screenshot below shows 145.400 on VFO A and 144.600 on VFO B.
It's a scrolling display so difficult to get it to show the info when you need to take a picture! :)

Auldgeek - Drew

humaxf1
Regular
Regular

Post by humaxf1 »

That's interesting... I've been playing around with the CPS (v1.12) which only allows UHF on VFO-A and VHF on VFO-B

Is there a later CPS to allow same band on both VFOs or a firmware update?

EDIT

I installed v1.18 and i see it makes available, all channels (mix of VHF and UHF) to be moved into A or B.