DMR "Scanner" users B,ham Help

Scanning radio frequencies in the West Midlands
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

DMR "Scanner" users B,ham Help

Post by iscottybotty »

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie poster and looking for a little help.

Are there any DMR listeners around Smethick, City Centre, Bearwood or local proximity, Selly Oak, Northfield of Birmingham?

I'm new to scanning and looking for frequencies, particularly DMR, for RX purposes only.

If you do and wouldn't mind sharing, (frequencies, CC & slots) I'd be forever grateful. Welcome to DM me as opposed to posting what could be sensitive information.

Thank you.
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: DMR "Scanner" users B,ham Help

Post by Minus1 »

Why is it sensitive? Don't be so paranoid.
OFCOM publish freqs in the WTR, including Colour Codes (indicating DMR).
http://spectruminfo.ofcom.org.uk/spectrumInfo/licences

Try New Street Station 455.625 Colour Code 5 for starters.
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

Post by iscottybotty »

Will do, thank you very much for that!
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

Post by iscottybotty »

Thank you so much for the above, great information to get me started. Would you know the TG's?

I have an Retevis RT3 and I don't think its picking up digital. The green LED is on but no voice can be heard :(

I have so far tried FW D013.014 and D013.020 both to no avail. I have also tried the experimental FW however only the SAAR edition will load to the handset whilst the other bin files out there transfer but send the screen around in a loop when you switch it on. That said, I'm beginning to think the actual handset is faulty. It picks up analogue perfectly.
;
Do you know any other frequencies at all that I could try?

I have also tried setting up the handset by doing:

Freq:
TG: 1
CC: 5
TS: 1

and

Freq:
TG: 2
CC: 5
TS: 2

Once again, green light comes on when they TX (I have checked this with a UV5R) but no voice can be heard.

Same with the experimental firmware, using CC5 and the above freq, green light but no voice on both time slots?

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

The simplest way to check if your radio is working is to put in a local ham DMR repeater.

Try GB7FW
RX 430.6625
CC1
Put in TGs 1, 2, 9, 13, 80, 235 into a Group list (if you're using the hacked firmware then no need to bother with TGs), make two channels in a zone, one for TS1 and one for TS2, make a scan list of the two channels, enable scan and you should get a hit pretty quickly.

Or if you're a bit further North,

GB7GB
RX 430.4250
CC8
TGs as above.

It's been forever since I've done a codeplug, but as you may be struggling I've knocked up a quick and dirty one as above that should work.

BRUM.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

Post by iscottybotty »

Admiral, thank you so much for the above, cant thank you enough.

Ill check it out and come back when I have findings.

Ps. Apologies for 'hijacking' another thread... should be paying more attention.
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

New Street use TG1, seems to be the same net as other central Birmingham stations (Snow Hill & Moor St)
455.5625 also used, CC5

Can't advise re Retevis RT3.
I have a Uniden BCD536HP, and that involves a lot of fiddling around with settings to catch transmissions properly and get the TG/UIDs etc
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

For the record, the only difference between the TYT (Tytera) MD-380 and the Revetis RT3 is the badge on the front, they are like Cobra 148 GTL-DX and Superstar 360FM, same conveyor belt, different badge.
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

Post by iscottybotty »

Minus1 wrote:New Street use TG1, seems to be the same net as other central Birmingham stations (Snow Hill & Moor St)
455.5625 also used, CC5
Thank you for this. I'll tune them in today and see what happens. Do you have anything for Smethwick, Cape Hill? Particularly interested in Ciry (Dudley Road) hospital as I'm about half a mile away.

Thanks Minus1.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Have you had any DMR voices come out of the speaker yet?
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

Post by iscottybotty »

Hi Admiral,

Sadly not. I've tried with both firmwares, old vocoder and new. Radio only switches on with the new "D013.020". I've then tried with and without the firmware hack, still nothing.

I then tweaked your file to the frequency from the previous post, when they moudulate the green light still comes on, no voice.

It's been on all night and is at the side of me now, still nothing. I'm thinking of ordering a new one off Amazon to test them together and sending one back. If I do, I'll get the TYT and not another RT3. I reckon the digital chip is screwed but I dunno, it's just weird I get a RX from the LED but nothing else. :-(
jhampton2000

Post by jhampton2000 »

Have you checked if the programmed TX and RX frequencies are the right way round, and for listening to a repeater, that TX and RX frequencies are different (it will likely default to simplex RX mode if they are the same).
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

Post by iscottybotty »

jhampton2000 wrote:Have you checked if the programmed TX and RX frequencies are the right way round, and for listening to a repeater, that TX and RX frequencies are different (it will likely default to simplex RX mode if they are the same).
Yes. Both the TX and RX are the same, what do you mean the right way around? Its the frequency given above for New Street Station... I've done the frequency the same for RX & TX, Selected the CC and slot on two channels and added them to TG1... the RX comes in as the green LED lights up but nothing else happens. I know is a true signal as I pick it up on my UV5R but obviously the 5R is analogue. Nothing comes on the screen either, only the LED will illuminate when there transmitting. The LED also comes through on ALL channels (Slot 1 and Slot 2) when they transmit? Is this odd?

I've just ordered a TYTMD380, all being well it should be here tomorrow and ill set that up to talk to each other. Unless I get another faulty handset, I can then at least determine, or try to, whether its a user issue or indeed a fault on the RT3. Nightmare.

Have you got a link to Promiscuous Mode that you've actually had working? I can give that a try?
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

On a DMR repeater to listen to it your TX and RX frequencies should not be the same otherwise the radio thinks it is listening to a simplex frequency and rejects the audio from the repeater.. Try it..
If you do not know what the TX frequency should be, don't worry as long as there is 12.5KHz difference between the two it will work..

This is the problem being given info by a digital scanner user, they do not need to know both RX and TX frequencies..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

Post by iscottybotty »

Good morning all, UPDATE:

Well would you Adam and Eve it, within half an hour of ordering a TYT model I then read the reply from Mike (Metradio) and the penny finally drops.

Of course, being given just one frequency does not necessarily mean it's a simplex set-up, I should have known that the RX and TX should have been different especially being a scanner user myself for years back in the 90's.

From trying the method above immediately my RT3 burst into life with the clearest modulation I've ever heard, it was digital and all talkgroups seem to be coming through on Promiscuous Mode.

From a personal POV may I thank everyone involved in this forum. I have honestly felt like a member of the community here with the help and advice I've received and that means a lot to me. I won't forget that.

So I'm off now to try and find some more DMR in Birmingham but wanted to update you all.

Firmware D013.020 and Saar Firmware (I have working links if anyone wants them) and it's working.

Thanks again everyone!