nottingham cb 27mhz

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
ricks- radio chat
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: midland

nottingham cb 27mhz

Post by ricks- radio chat »

do people still use the band in notts, whays legal these days, any point me setting up ?
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: nottingham cb 27mhz

Post by MrWeetabix »

I am sure there are still a few people around the area on CB. There were some significant legal changes a few years back, you can now use SSB on Mid band with up to 12w, as well as AM on Mid band too, but only with new 'type approved' radios. 27.555 is still technically illegal to use here in the UK though.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
ricks- radio chat
Regular
Regular

thanks for reply Mr Weetabix,
Can anyone in Nott's contact me please at [email protected] to tell me if CB radio is used there where to buy equipment etc. Cheers
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

ricks- radio chat wrote:any point me setting up ?
I was "in this boat" a few months back, but decided to re-instate my trusty rig and aerial. I am glad I did as CB is now firmly back on my list of hobbies :) So much so that I splashed out on one of the new fancy "export" rigs that has a host of stuff (and frequencies) that can be programmed in via a special cable and a bit of computer software. I'm chatting to folks every weekday now as I drive around doing my day job.

Are you into DXing, or just local chatting?

As for suppliers, see my reply to your other post ;)
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
ricks- radio chat
Regular
Regular

thanks ghost123uk I am trying to do the setting up thing, but been told to be careful of old/ new illegal ssb rigs that are floating about
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Yep, old ones have often been messed with by folk who either don't know what they are doing, or simply don't take a pride in their work.

New ones vary in quality. I chose an AT-6666 (aka Superstar CRT SS 9900) and I am very happy with it.
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
rizz

Post by rizz »

there are a few in Nottingham snd the Wednesday net runs on ssb from derby area, the problem you might have is with noise, if you get s9 of noise you wont hear much at all, but there are stations around derby, Nottingham, chesterfield, Loughborough,
Yaesu FT7900, Superstar 3900 Red Display, President Lincoln, Adonis 308, Astatic road devil, Microset 27-200T Amp. Sirio Gp-3 5/8th 2m Antenna.
g1xgm
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G1XGM

Post by g1xgm »

There was A live feed of channel 19 in Nottingham somewhere on The Internet.Lots of Mike-keyers,swearers and Nutjobs.SSB is best.I use a Grant 11 original.Fabulous.Cost £200 though.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Hi and weclome! BTW I'm a big Notts Forest fan myself!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

ghost123uk wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 09:04 Yep, old ones have often been messed with by folk who either don't know what they are doing, or simply don't take a pride in their work.

New ones vary in quality. I chose an AT-6666 (aka Superstar CRT SS 9900) and I am very happy with it.
aka ???

the radios are built by Qixiang the CRT brand is actually an Anytone..
Anytone are Qixiangs brand, so any Qixiang boarded radio is AKA and AT-5555 or AT-6666.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

g1xgm wrote: 15 Mar 2017, 13:51 There was A live feed of channel 19 in Nottingham somewhere on The Internet.Lots of Mike-keyers,swearers and Nutjobs.SSB is best.I use a Grant 11 original.Fabulous.Cost £200 though.
yes i switched it off a few years back, 19 just went dead and all that was left is the shower of **** that's on their now, not something i'd want to listen to or let anyone else listen to to be fair.

i also needed the antenna space for my repeater.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

ignore what people tell you to buy.
most don't have a clue and most will be sold up after a few months..

older gear is still the best to buy, there are many people out there who can service and repair radios,
so even if you buy a shitter it can be fixed most of the time.

the new stuff is ok, but they're not without issues, a lot of folk will tell you to buy X or Y brand but then don't tell you of the issues they come with like built in china junk with poor quality components and soon blow devices because they're actually sold and badly aligned.

as for Nottingham CB, you only need one channel, channel 19..
you need a HF radio and 100w just to fit in locally.
if you plan to be legal (which no one is) 4w and 40 channels will be no good, you'll soon get bored of listening to the attention seekers on 19.

if you get a radio with SSB then remember we are just coming out of the bottom of the 11 yearly sunspot cycle so things may seem good at times, other times they'll be dead, but will only get better.

don't go mad spending all your monthly benefits at once as you'll either end up selling it to upgrade to something better, or sell it all together because it's crap, and remember you won't get half your money back..

there's a guy local already buying radios for £125 and £300 and when he sells them he tried to make a few quid but he's unaware he paid double what they're worth originally so he's sat with loads of CB radios he can't sell because no ones as daft as he is to pay the prices...

oh and good luck.