Any recent foundation exam takers?

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
M6UCW
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0UCW
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UB7 Greater London)

Re: Any recent foundation exam takers?

Post by M6UCW »

It may be that many clubs are too full of amateurs more interested in contests and making a name for themselves / their club than actually promoting the hobby.
But then it's these clubs that will close the soonest as their members become SK and their numbers decline as they have not thought about the future of radio.
Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 16/07/14
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

M6UCW wrote:It may be that many clubs are too full of amateurs more interested in contests and making a name for themselves / their club than actually promoting the hobby.
Aye maybe, but there maybe a bigger reason as well............

With all the unhappiness from the hobby lords (full's) about long term foundation holders and other associated gripes, maybe the diminishing availability of foundation courses with clubs is the hobby lords tactics in their own way of getting less foundation holders into the hobby?

Makes you think.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
M6UCW
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0UCW
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UB7 Greater London)

Post by M6UCW »

If that was the case, then all they are doing is causing the hobby to die.
Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 16/07/14
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Give it a rest guys, all this "The Fulls" hate us, is as biased as the comments stating all foundation holders are malingerers and miscreants!
When the licence aquireing route was taken from, or rather thrown away, by a national education body, (City and Guilds), and basicaly handed out to clubs and have a go amateurs, it was hardly surprising that the novelty of becoming "tutors and exam envigilators" might wear off in some circles!
The only way it will ever get back to the days where regualr known places, set regular exams at "known places of study", is if it eventualy gets put back in the hands of a national examination body, like it used to be with C+G!
It has little to do with a concerted effort by disgruntled "fulls" trying to restrict access to the hobby! {bnghd}
Grow up!
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

Huh?

Well it's pointless starting up a new foundation course this late in the day, innit?
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Any need for the profanity?
And considering you posted this:
Non of them as they are too lazy to get off their @rse and it is easy for them to come on here and spout flotsam at M3/M6 Amateur Radio operators.
Just waiting for the day when they start with the Novice licence holders....
Are you not contributing to the "here we go again"?
I thought my post was quite reasonable, and it was more defined, and consistant when a national examination body was in control of exams for amateur radio, and that in no way refers to licence levels, merely the better way it was run!
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

GeeFull wrote:Any need for the profanity?
Non of them as they are too lazy to get off their @rse and it is easy for them to come on here and spout flotsam at M3/M6 Amateur Radio operators.
I thought my post was quite reasonable, and it was more defined, and consistant when a national examination body was in control of exams for amateur radio, and that in no way refers to licence levels, merely the better way it was run!
Your post was completely unreasonable.
I am sick to the back teeth of the same argument over and over again - it is a hobby, no one cares about it anymore, when we die the hobby will die with us - no one gives a monkeys about "status" and "progression".
I had to sit a two part City & Guilds exam and spent 6 months of my life working to get my Novice licence, but I certainly do not troll forums having a dig just because someone has a lower class of licence than me.
As for the profanity is was an attempt to break the tension on this thread - if you don't like it then report it, I could not give two hoots.
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

Foundation
noun, plural noun: foundations

the lowest load-bearing part of a building, typically below ground level.
"foundations were being dug for a block of flats".
an underlying basis or principle.
"this idea is the foundation of all modern economics"
synonyms: basis, starting point, base, point of departure, beginning.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

2E1IIP wrote:
GeeFull wrote:Any need for the profanity?
Your post was completely unreasonable.
I am sick to the back teeth of the same argument over and over again - it is a hobby, no one cares about it anymore, when we die the hobby will die with us - no one gives a monkeys about "status" and "progression".
I had to sit a two part City & Guilds exam and spent 6 months of my life working to get my Novice licence, but I certainly do not troll forums having a dig just because someone has a lower class of licence than me.
As for the profanity is was an attempt to break the tension on this thread - if you don't like it then report it, I could not give two hoots.
No it wasn't read it again!
Comments along the lines of its some sort of conspiracy by "fulls" to restrict FL access was unreasonable, as mentioned in the post before my first reply, all I pointed out was that when the exam was set and run by certain education outlets under City and Guilds, and year in year out those outlets were consitant in providing the courses, where people knew exactly where they stood, ie go to location "A" sign up for course, do course, take exam, and possibly pass!
These days its down to clubs, some do courses, some don't, some used to do courses, now don't, etc. etc., it has become a lot more hit and miss!
That is ALL I was pointing out, how the heck is that in anyway got anything to do with licence class?
I even started my first reply with "give it a rest guys", as the "Full bashing", and "FL bashing", are much on a par in my books!
How was my comment on why the way exams are distributed and run today, where some clubs do some don't, or some did but no longer, in anyway contribute to licence class bashing?
One thing your C+G obviously didn't teach you, was how to read!
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

I don't get this ''Ham Radio would die without the foundation'' thing.

Yes, overall numbers entering the hobby were falling, but all you have to do is to listen-in to any repeater in an urban area for a while, and you will realise that there never was any shortage of the 'type' of ham that the Foundation has produced.

All that would hopefully die without the Foundation is 'Planet Baofeng'.

There is no thanks for running a foundation course now. The Foundationers might thank you, but the 'plebicite' of the hobby will curse you.
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

GeeFull wrote: One thing your C+G obviously didn't teach you, was how to read!
:thumbup:
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

GeeFull & ChrisCSL.

Read carefully chaps because I'm only going to post this the one time only.......

Many of us on here are quite well aware of your feelings towards foundation holders and the changes to the licencing structure years ago, and your feelings and thoughts on you are entitled to ok? I though don't appreciate being told to 'grow up' by someone I don't even know, regardless if it's just a comment on a forum. If you don't like the 'flack' full licence holders are getting from the 'lower' licence class hobbyists these days and also the negative view towards full's then that's the fault of your same licence class brothers for being so far up their own antenna masts about foundation holders. In short I have no sympathy for you because you don't help yourselves or your fellow full holders by posting some of the comments you do on here about foundation holders.

Remember also because of the class of licence you hold and your time in the hobby YOU are supposed to set an example by showing support and understanding, I don't see much in the way of either from the both of you judging by the comments you make!

I would suggest engage brain first before using fingers on keyboard.
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

''Read carefully chaps because I'm only going to post this the one time only.......''

Thank God for that. I read the first two lines. I won't make that mistake again.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

ChrisCSL wrote:''Read carefully chaps because I'm only going to post this the one time only.......''

Thank God for that. I read the first two lines. I won't make that mistake again.
You will because you can't help yourself sir. :lol: