Has 2 meters become a CB band?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
punkrocker62
Call Sign: MM1BRH

Re: Has 2 meters become a CB band?

Post by punkrocker62 »

StormShadow wrote: I know 2 meters ain't a CB band but what I was saying is that there is one frequency in particular on the 2 meter band that is being used as a VHF CB channel.
145.525 was the "lively" channel up here for a while, but there were only 1 or 2 numpties in amongst a load of decent people, it started when the second or third batch of MM0's were released on to the airwaves, funny thing was a lot of the "older" amateurs stopped using the band from then, I really don't know why?!?
Baofeng UV5R / UV5X / UVB5 [Chirp]
NEWSKY RTL2832U / R820T2 SDR >> Ham It Up v1.2 >> [HDSDR]
pauldublinrock
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: EI3HAB

Post by pauldublinrock »

On Sunday mornings at 11.45 am a small net of Hams here in Dublin use 145.525 mhz. One ham reads the amateur radio news and then he/she requests reception reports. A listener could hear us till 12.30 pm. If you have a call sign you would be welcome to give us a report. I have been listening for a few years and threre's no bad langauge, only technical information. :)
m6ymn
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6YMN

Post by m6ymn »

In my humble opinion, I have noticed that over the years CB radio 27 Mhz has not changed one bit.
I mean the foul mouth abuse, music playing, dead key's, threats, insults, it just goes on and on, I get the impression that there is no real level of Intelligence on that band. Yes I agree there are SOME good people on the band but they are out numbered by the large proportion of morons there.
Now onto 2 meters 144 - 146 Mhz just lately here in Wolverhampton there has been more activity with idiots especially on S20 (145.500) the calling frequency. It seems that more and more idiots are coming onto the 2 meter band lately. And from the signal strength it would seem that most of these hand held radios that are so very very easily to obtain from eBay and other places like Amazon. Meaning that most of the people that buy them don't have any real clue as how to operate them in a proper and normal way. But they act like a bunch of your kids with nothing better to do . This does spoil the hobby, but I will not allow the idiotic people put me off from continuing Amateur Radio, it is sad yes, but with the lack of money the ofcom wont and cant do any thing about it, unless it is forced up on them to do so. So until some thing does get done then it will steadily get worse, a great hobby made bad by Adult Human beings that act like morons and get a laugh out of it. I have spoken to some young people ages like 11 and 13 and have been acting real gentlemen and gave the world of Amateur Radio respect and a professional manner to it by these young people. So why can not GROWN MATURE ADULTS act like that. And I am talking about the idiots, morons that play up on 2 meters NOT what I would call NORMAL adults. If any one feels the need to attack me on any part of what I have put here then feel free. Mike M6YMN.
To much war not enough peace. WE can change it if we try.
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JGR »

I do not think anyone could attack your comments as they are factual observations, I feel sorry for all operators that are in built up areas with larger populations, as you are no doubt prone to more intentional interference than that of myself out in the sticks so to speak and we very rarely have anyone using the repeaters never mind actually abusing them. Hopefully Amateur radio can be rescued and brought back on track sooner rather than later when the idiots have taken over the ship.
Do not believe everything that is in black and white.
Oh and prestigious Winner of "In Before The Lock June 2014"
Flex 5000A, Trio TS-830S, Icom IC-E2820, IC-E92D and a DVB-T SDR Dongle
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

StormShadow wrote: the amount of F-ing and blinding I heard was unbelievable. I decided not to join in with their QSO but to listen instead.
So you didnt mind listening to it. :lol:

2m has always been a slightly higher class of CB theres no escaping that fact, But it is fast becoming just like CB and before long there wont be any real difference between the two, Lets face it 2m gear is already cheaper to buy than CB gear already.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

I had a good time on CB back in the 80s. There were some good, kind and knowledgeable people who helped me build a decent set-up on a budget. But the idiots and the hash that came with the popularity near the peak of the craze made me stick it in a cupboard. When much bigger and older lads say obscene things to your little sis and your elder brother has to give their faces a squeeze to teach them respect, it goes rather sour.

At the time, Ham radio had the image of something to be aspired to by some of us (even if they did hold us in contempt) and it's rather sad to hear that bits of the Ham spectrum have given into the same mindless behaviour that drove me off CB. Perhaps Ham radio shouldn't have lowered the entry barrier - the coarser the filter, the more crap gets through.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Excalibur wrote: Well I am petitioning a VHF CB channel

Why do you want a VHF CB band? How many more licence-free allocations do you want?

That's just being lazy. You can get a Foundation ticket in your lunch break, just use 2M, sorted.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

With 27mhz soon to be liberalised to allow SSB, I can't see the govt or Ofcom taking much notice of a petition for a VHF allocation. When they legalised CB there was at least a critical mass of users but there is no such (as far as I'm aware) body of users on VHF. If PMR446 became stuffed up, they may consider expanding that and maybe upping the power allocation to 4W in years to come.
Last edited by scanhermit on 12 Apr 2014, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

scanhermit wrote:I can't the the govt or Ofcom taking much notice of a petition for a VHF allocation.
Especially one with a couple of dozen signatures on it! :lol:

Come on then, money where your mouth is VHF CB crew... Set up a proper ePetition to the government and let's see how many signatures it gets.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/

You only need 100,000 to be considered for debate in parliament but substantially less than this would still give you far more weight when you approach Ofcom with your request.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Looking at my own post, I can't seem em upping the power allowance. PMR446 is meant as a short-range comm for stuff like site work and outdoor hobby stuff and I expect they intend to keep it that way.

Suppose it makes DX an interesting challenge.
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Post by ChelseaCat »

kr0ne wrote:
scanhermit wrote:I can't the the govt or Ofcom taking much notice of a petition for a VHF allocation.
Especially one with a couple of dozen signatures on it! :lol:

Come on then, money where your mouth is VHF CB crew... Set up a proper ePetition to the government and let's see how many signatures it gets.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/

You only need 100,000 to be considered for debate in parliament but substantially less than this would still give you far more weight when you approach Ofcom with your request.
I dont think we need too, I really believe their to be a good chance without any big petition, Ofcom mention vhf cb first before anyone else. I think most businesses use mobile phone now and thats why all these frequencies are available, anyway I would sign a petition if one came along. If we get it great, if we dont then Im not going to cry lol
G8YMW

Post by G8YMW »

Why do you want a VHF CB band? How many more licence-free allocations do you want?

That's just being lazy. You can get a Foundation ticket in your lunch break, just use 2M, sorted.
Two problems
(1) Too many people see CB as a lazy boys ham band rather than a short/medium range communication system for which 27 MHz was the worst possible choice
(2) You cannot use Amateur Radio for business purposes.

Plus points
Able to do 5-10 miles (At least) coverage 24/7 without SSB and Olga wiping everything out.
Aerials that are more than dummy loads
Less electrical QRM in built up areas (So bad I will not have Ten metres on in a built up area)
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChelseaCat »

G8YMW wrote:

Two problems
(1) Too many people see CB as a lazy boys ham band rather than a short/medium range communication system for which 27 MHz was the worst possible choice

Plus points
Able to do 5-10 miles (At least) coverage 24/7 without SSB and Olga wiping everything out.
Less electrical QRM in built up areas (So bad I will not have Ten metres on in a built up area)
Well you have rapped it all up their, good reply and all true and I second your comment ;)
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

G8YMW wrote:
Two problems

Plus points
I have no idea what you're going on about.

My point however is that some people just keep wanting more for nothing.

What next? 4w on licence-free 2.4Ghz?

A&E will be busy
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChelseaCat »

Admiral wrote:
G8YMW wrote:

My point however is that some people just keep wanting more for nothing.
Free is best in my book :lol: how much do you pay per year for the amateur bands :o

CB radio is only allowed on approved radios :lol: so no need to have exams about electronics etc, its just a form of free communication. TBH if they were to ask £10 per year for a licence to use them I wouldnt mind paying for it, it will be a fantastic band and well worth the payment.