The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV that was found in a loft

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV that was found in a loft

Post by Ashtec »

Well here we go i got this radio in the end for the sum of £410 + £10 P&P Which was a bit much but i whanted the info on how the vfo worked so i can make my own vfo operated radio's and as well as that im the only one in leicestershire i think to have a MK5.
I like to be different and i get feed up with the same old radio's well the radio got here in 2 day's and looking well but it dose have some mark's here and there as radio's do when they have been used i niped the bottom lid off as i do just to see if there's and and roger bleep's hanging about with taped up wires as i see a lot of radio with this done to the and all so to check that it had all the jentec bit's in there as it has been known to see fake one's about or ebay scamer's.
But all looked well at a quick glance so i pluged it in to see if it worked as this radio was sold as spares or repairs and we all know what this means most of the time. On switching it on it all lit up and we had sound so that was a good sign the frequency display was reading 29.000Mhz as it was on the Ebay ad so i moved the Vfo and it moved frequency so at this i put it on the Channel 19 uk to see if it picked up the locals and it did and it sounded well so the next test was dose it transmit. Nope it didnt so at this i pulled the lid's all off and this is what was found.....................
Last edited by Ashtec on 17 Apr 2011, 01:00, edited 2 times in total.
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV tha was found in a loft

Post by 163TM847 »

Oh crumbs, When you pay what you did for it you dont expect to do any work on it, Its your money and you can do what you like with it, But i still think your barmy :lol:

The bias seems to be cranked right up on it too, And is that a blown track i see ?
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

there is or was a guy in leicester with a mk5.
he lived behind thurmaston somewhere, can't think the area but from thurmaston island from the A46 go back towards the A46 on the road that goes behind the new estate off the A46 and that area over there, in fact from the A46 island you'd go straight over and out the back there..can't remember his name, but he had a shogun or pajero
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Black Spirit wrote:Oh crumbs, When you pay what you did for it you dont expect to do any work on it, Its your money and you can do what you like with it, But i still think your barmy :lol:

The bias seems to be cranked right up on it too, And is that a blown track i see ?
I think we can safely say that a CB rig butcher had been playing about in the back of this radio nick the track
that look's to be blown is'nt blown but some one had cut it i dont know why that have done this like a lot of bit's had been done in the back end of the radio the 2313 out put was blown may be down to the bias being cranked right as you have put there nick all so put's was missing from the back end all so and as well as that there was worng valued components been fitted in there the was no RF drive to the driver which was down to a cap miss c208 all so the was other cap's missing like c199 and other's so i spent the after noon put the radio back to the standard 148 back end as well as fitting a weazle66 2313 output back in there. all so ive tiyed all the bad soldering up in the back end of the radio and removed the cap's that some one had soldered to the track side of the pcb so now it's all back up and fully working now lucky no one had been playing in and round the radio ive all so ive reactivated the bleep as it look's as if jentec had stoped it working by neatly cuting a track
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

bigpimp347 wrote:there is or was a guy in leicester with a mk5.
he lived behind thurmaston somewhere, can't think the area but from thurmaston island from the A46 go back towards the A46 on the road that goes behind the new estate off the A46 and that area over there, in fact from the A46 island you'd go straight over and out the back there..can't remember his name, but he had a shogun or pajero
I dont know mate there's a lot that sold up over the years as you know.
I think it was a lad named nigel he used to hang about with brigg's i think they had a big full out and he sold all his gear on Ebay and he's not been on the air ever since.................
A shame....................
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

£410 plus postage :shock: I'd have expected it to be hand delivered for that price :o

I know it's your money, and you can pay whatever you like, I know it's a Jentec, a fubar'd one at that, but £410, hell fire!!!

At that kind of money there has to be some scope in making a modern version of the Jentec, there's ten 148's for sale in the trading section at £300, they now look like a ruddy bargain :D

All the best with it Paul and glad to read that you sorted it out ;)
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

I'm looking forward to hearing it on air sometime. Since you moved to where you are now, I miss all the banter! As far as what it's worth... well I've already gone on record here as saying what I think. It's worth what it's worth to the person who is prepared to pay. If I'd had the dosh, I might have had a punt just because of 'what' it is. If you manage to learn the secrets you wanted to know to create your own vfo's- then I'm sure there are a good few uniden radio owners that might be happy to have an upgrade, and it wouldn't take many sales to reimburse what you've invested. :)
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

UGLY_BOB wrote:I'm looking forward to hearing it on air sometime. Since you moved to where you are now, I miss all the banter! As far as what it's worth... well I've already gone on record here as saying what I think. It's worth what it's worth to the person who is prepared to pay. If I'd had the dosh, I might have had a punt just because of 'what' it is. If you manage to learn the secrets you wanted to know to create your own vfo's- then I'm sure there are a good few uniden radio owners that might be happy to have an upgrade, and it wouldn't take many sales to reimburse what you've invested. :)

That's my thinking Bob, I don't know why it hasn't been done many times before, it makes me think that it could be a tad expensive to carry out and the potential for a return on investment may be slim, I'd have thought choppedupwhoreslops would have gone down this route some time ago.

If a lottery win came my way I'd have a mint example, but we're talking Euro-lottery rollover win :lol:
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

UGLY_BOB wrote:I'm looking forward to hearing it on air sometime. Since you moved to where you are now, I miss all the banter! As far as what it's worth... well I've already gone on record here as saying what I think. It's worth what it's worth to the person who is prepared to pay. If I'd had the dosh, I might have had a punt just because of 'what' it is. If you manage to learn the secrets you wanted to know to create your own vfo's- then I'm sure there are a good few uniden radio owners that might be happy to have an upgrade, and it wouldn't take many sales to reimburse what you've invested. :)
Thanks there Bob and Northern35s i did think to my self it was a bit much for what it was but i wanted to learn the secrets and how to create my own vfo's with out doing all the home work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love the look's of the Jackson VFO but when do you ever see them for sale and all so how much would one go for if there was one on ebay ive seen some pic's of them with the jentec VFO unit's fitted in to them.
The radio now is fully working ive used it a few time's over the air with good report's ive all so undone all the crap that had been done to the poor old set.

All ive got to do now is copy the eprom and pcb design some time and make my own vfo unit's and improve on it.
All so ive got to get intouch with C work's and see if they do a full revamp kit to have it looking as good as new....
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Im not really looking to make much cash out of it and to be honest im 20 years to late with this idea as you can buy new rig's with all this in them but not a lot of them Have a VFO if any of them i will be makeing some Vfo'ed uniden based radio's in the in the near future but im not looking for mass production of radio's.
I will be doing some for my self and for close friends you never know they may be well sort after in 20 years :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As they would'nt be 500 of them made i will be only makeing a few of them.................

You never know you may see a WESTLAND 707 with a VFO fitted.....................

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

That pile of 148's on trading post would be a good source for the 'paultec™' boards.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

butch wrote:That pile of 148's on trading post would be a good source for the 'paultec™' boards.
Yes they would of but i missed out on that lot.....................
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Still i would'nt mind having ago with a jackson as there a dam good dxing radio and they sound well but ive never like the look's of them untill i seen the Jackson VFO
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26EY49G7xxx

Post by radio pete »

PAUL27UK wrote:
Thanks there Bob and Northern35s i did think to my self it was a bit much for what it was but i wanted to learn the secrets and how to create my own vfo's with out doing all the home work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love the look's of the Jackson VFO but when do you ever see them for sale and all so how much would one go for if there was one on ebay ive seen some pic's of them with the jentec VFO unit's fitted in to them.
The radio now is fully working ive used it a few time's over the air with good report's ive all so undone all the crap that had been done to the poor old set.

All ive got to do now is copy the eprom and pcb design some time and make my own vfo unit's and improve on it.
All so ive got to get intouch with C work's and see if they do a full revamp kit to have it looking as good as new....
I will look on with interest @ this Paul
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

Watch out Paul ! Radio Pete is an old comrade of Mr. Nugent. I think I'm right in saying you did a few of the Jentec builds yourself didn't you Pete ?
Ugs
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

UGLY_BOB wrote:Watch out Paul ! Radio Pete is an old comrade of Mr. Nugent. I think I'm right in saying you did a few of the Jentec builds yourself didn't you Pete ?
Ugs
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well Radio Pete i have got to take my hat off to Mr. Nugent with the design of the VFO units i know by todays standards this is a bit dated but it was well a head of it's time and in some ways it still is as there is'nt much in the way of VFO operated CB 10 meter radio's out there im not looking to go in production with vfo operated radio's as the cost and time would be out of this world but i will be makeing some one off hybrids of uniden based radios and you never know my name may go down in to the radio history book's like Mr. Nugent.......................................

Did you ever find your Nugent jumbo at all Radio Pete.............................
I would love to see a jumbo fitted out with a vfo and frequency readout it would end the Ham international jumbo story well.