The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV that was found in a loft

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26EY49G7xxx

Re: The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV that was found in a lof

Post by radio pete »

astradyne wrote:A question for radio pete. When John and yourself were building the "Jentec" radio's did you at any time supply them with "Jentec" branded microphones? I ask this because CBG found this link to a "Jentec" branded microphone on eBay. Is this a genuine item, or is someone else trying to cash in????
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JENTEC-Coffin-Mic ... 0620605083
never seen one before it does say fake some one want's to make a quick buck??
SECA-11m
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by SECA-11m »

radio pete wrote:
astradyne wrote:A question for radio pete. When John and yourself were building the "Jentec" radio's did you at any time supply them with "Jentec" branded microphones? I ask this because CBG found this link to a "Jentec" branded microphone on eBay. Is this a genuine item, or is someone else trying to cash in????
Microphone(s) probably ordered through alibaba, you can get owt you want printed on them.
I know Doctors, Dentists and Architects.

Wanted: President City Talker
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

radio pete wrote:

Yes it does now, but when CBG first posted the link it didn't say "fake" or "novelty". The wording has been changed since :?
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
DaJetzi
Regular
Regular

Re: The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV tha was found in a loft

Post by DaJetzi »

@Ashtec
Got my pm?

73´s
Sigi
This is not my signature
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Re: The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV tha was found in a loft

Post by Ashtec »

DaJetzi wrote:@Ashtec
Got my pm?

73´s
Sigi
I did mate but im not looking to sell it just yet as im still pulling information of the mod's that have been done to it but one day it will be back up for sale as i really have no interest in the radio in it's self and to be honest with you ive not used it that much as it proform much the same as any other Cobra 148/360FM it's just the vfo that make's this radio different to any other 148/360FM i was thinking of sending it down to ugly bob to have a play with as it has just sat here not doing note but had it's lid's pulled off to photograph the working's and of the vfo pcb and i took a copy of the eprom.
and i fixed all the back end of the radio up as when i got it it had no rf power output.
One day i will buy a new front and inlay and knob's and case's for it so it look's mint before it go's back up for sale.
DaJetzi
Regular
Regular

Post by DaJetzi »

Hi,
did not think of buying this radio. I am only also interessted in how to build a VFO
that can be used in my radios like WKS 100, President Adams and so on.

73´s
Sigi
This is not my signature
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

DaJetzi wrote:Hi,
did not think of buying this radio. I am only also interessted in how to build a VFO
that can be used in my radios like WKS 100, President Adams and so on.

73´s
Sigi
Sorry there ive had a few email's asking would i sell it and ive lost count of how meny have asked about this radio also my inbox is a bit full as ive had to keep some Email's as Deta1 had ripped me off on Midland 8001 radio so ive had to keep his email's for the police to look at and copy down as well as people's addresses that i have sold to so i dont make a cock up on the posting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will have a look in my email's and have a look for your emaill mate.
Sorry................
Gerrysea
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G1MAV

Post by Gerrysea »

Admiral wrote:
If i had the information i would put it out there to the masses...By the sound of it ...this is a lot information that could help radio users.....cant see why this secret has to be taken to the grave :?
From what I read, it's not a matter of copyright or secrecy, just one of honour, the guy asked his mates not to disclose it, so they're not. And if someone reverse engineers it then so be it, I doubt there'll be any lawsuits, but the confidants of John Nugent can hold their heads high in the knowledge that they kept their promise to their friend.
Hi Y'all,

I have signed up to this forum after reading some of your comments about John Nugent. It is a joy to find a group honouring John and so respectful of him and his work. For some time now I have been searching for genuine Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV expertise, but was only finding that which was masquerading as G7ERX? under that 'CobraWorxshpz' banner. Now I suspect that I may have found some folks that I can trust.

So why am I here?...

Mine were certainly never in the loft, so let me explain:

Back in my CB days and early Amateur Radio days John Nugent looked after all my CB and 11m radio repairs and in particular carried out repairs and various modifications to Cobras and ‘Superstars’ belonging to myself and other members of our CB club (Although he never did fancy takin' on my old FT-101B!). As a result I saw John and his wife (I regret that I’ve forgotten her name) a good few times over the years and I was very sorry to find that I had lost contact after they had moved. I always enjoyed the chats that went with the tea and biscuits almost every time that I called in to see john and also the chats I had with John in his 'Workshop' and his helpful advice when we were going thru the RAE.

The last time that I saw John it was to ask him to carry out his, by then well known and routine modifications to a couple more SS 360’s that I had obtained, as always he was happy to do so, but as I was now licensed (G1MAV) and trying for the Morse test he explained that he had a new Cobra conversion which would take them down to 30, so providing access to the 10m band, and he would perform them on those radios if I so desired. It was agreed and he converted both of them for me, one with a red display, the other with green so I could tell ‘em apart! When I collected them John explained that there had been a few problems due to unlicensed users, firing them up on the 10m band and as a result he had made a note on the ‘Cobra Superscan’ information pack that he provided, which said, “There is no TX on 28/29 bands, this is due to people using 28.500/700/900, this where 10m operators use SSB” but he assured me that he would open them up for TX on 10m once I passed my Morse and qualified for ‘A’ class license.

However, try as I may, I never did master that damned Morse, so I had to wait for the change in regulations which dropped the requirement for Morse from the licensing conditions and upgraded me to a ‘Full’ Amateur Radio license. But regrettably, by the time that happened and I came to be ready for John to open them up for TX on 10, he had moved and I had lost contact with him. So here I am, the proud owner of two of john’s Jentec Cobra Transceiver Mk V conversions, in almost virgin condition but with no 10m TX.

Now in my retirement, I’m planning to put both of these radios back into use, so I’m looking for someone who I can trust to finish off John’s work for me, by switching the TX on 28/29 bands back on.

I'm located just south of the river from where John used to live in Plaistow. Your advice/recommendation on this would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to let me know if I'm posting this query in the wrong place?

Oh by the way. Sorry guys, but these radios will not be going up for sale!

Keep safe and be lucky.

Kind regards.

Gerry Seaman (G1MAV)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Hi Gerry and welcome. Get hold of Black Spirit or Ashtec on this forum. They could be just the people to help you.

Also Radio Pete I feel would be interested in meeting you. He also knew John personally so I expect you'll be able to have a right old chinwag......
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Gerrysea
Regular
Regular

Post by Gerrysea »

astradyne wrote:Hi Gerry and welcome. Get hold of Black Spirit or Ashtec on this forum. They could be just the people to help you.

Also Radio Pete I feel would be interested in meeting you. He also knew John personally so I expect you'll be able to have a right old chinwag......
Hi there astradyne,

Nice to meet you and thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, I noted elsewhere in the forum that someone suggested that Radio Pete used to assist John with some of his Jentec stuff; would be good to chat with him, I'll have to try to catch up with him.

I seem to think that I've seen something on the web about Black Spirit having crossed swords/sharp tongues with the idiot who is 'CobraWorxshpz'?

Where are he and Ashtec located (Geographically), I'll keep an eye out for them.

Thanks again.

Keep safe & be lucky.

Gerry
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

I was lucky . Went to Nautical college and was up to nearly 30 words/minute so the Ham exam was like in slooooow motion for me . Saying that I haven't done much CW in the last 25 odd years so I'll probably need to start again :=)

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Queball »

Some photos of the radios would certainly get the Jentec admirers talking again Gerry.
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

astradyne wrote:Hi Gerry and welcome. Get hold of Black Spirit or Ashtec on this forum. They could be just the people to help you.
I second Astradyne's suggestions. Radio Pete is especially familiar with the Jentecs, and Nick (Black Spirit) and Paul (Ashtec) will know how to 'open' the radios to 10m.
Ugs
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

Gerrysea
Regular
Regular

Post by Gerrysea »

Queball wrote:Some photos of the radios would certainly get the Jentec admirers talking again Gerry.
Hi Queball, Yep, I can arrange that. Just out of interest, does ABC breakers and brother Steve mean anything to you?

Keep safe and be lucky.

Gerry.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Greetings Gerry from another old fart.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition