The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV that was found in a loft

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Gerrysea
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G1MAV

Re: The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV that was found in a lof

Post by Gerrysea »

UGLY_BOB wrote:
astradyne wrote:Hi Gerry and welcome. Get hold of Black Spirit or Ashtec on this forum. They could be just the people to help you.
Also Radio Pete I feel would be interested in meeting you. He also knew John personally so I expect you'll be able to have a right old chinwag......
I second Astradyne's suggestions. Radio Pete is especially familiar with the Jentecs, and Nick (Black Spirit) and Paul (Ashtec) will know how to 'open' the radios to 10m.
Ugs
Hi Bob,
Tnx4that, it's good to get personal recommendations.

When I'm able to post an avatar, you'll see that I'm an UN-posh scouser. We leave the 'H's off of everything, like 'appy, n 'orrible, n 'ospital; so 'ugs to you as well!! :roll:

Keep safe & be lucky.

Gerry.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Welcome Gerry , interesting story :D
Gerrysea
Regular
Regular

Post by Gerrysea »

Admiral wrote:Greetings Gerry from another old fart.
LOL! QRZ?

Yes, but r u international? ;)

Keep safe & Be lucky.

Gerry.
Keep safe & be lucky,

Gerry.
Ham Call: G1MAV
11m Call: 26HN1
CB 'andle: Maverick.
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26EY49G7xxx

Post by radio pete »

Gerrysea wrote:
Admiral wrote:Greetings Gerry from another old fart.
LOL! QRZ?

Yes, but r u international? ;)

Keep safe & Be lucky.

Gerry.
replied to your PM Gerry ;)
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wheel bender »

As an innocent bystander to this thread I'd like to say Hi to Gerry from up here at Stoke and it looks like you'll soon have two lervly minter mkv's You just need Ashtec to do you a yellow/orange readout version and your bench will look like a set of Traffic lights with your red and green ones. Take care and enjoy the forum.
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
Gerrysea
Regular
Regular

Post by Gerrysea »

wheel bender wrote:As an innocent bystander to this thread I'd like to say Hi to Gerry from up here at Stoke and it looks like you'll soon have two lervly minter mkv's You just need Ashtec to do you a yellow/orange readout version and your bench will look like a set of Traffic lights with your red and green ones. Take care and enjoy the forum.
Hi, thanks for the welcome. Nice to meet ya.

Good suggestion. Tnx4that! I never thought of it. I'll be speaking to Ashtec soon and I think that I may well be able to rustle up another SS 360. Question is, will Ashtec have the yellow/orange display? Once done, I could go mobile with all three and set 'em up on the road junction outside our 'ouse; cause traffic chaos it would!!
Keep safe & be lucky,

Gerry.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

I got your PM Garysea and i'm sorry i didn't get back to you asap :!: :!: :!:

Well the Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV's are not as complex as some may think :!: :!:

I would say if the 10 meter mode is locked out on TX mode then i would be looking at the band switch first :!: :!:
And see if there is anything that run's off to the TX line ie switching Mic TX pin on the mic socket or some think switching one of the TX transistors off.
On the pcb of the radio....
"Look around the bleep oscillator"
If there is note on the band switch then the Jentec PCB will have to come out for inspection on the band switching wiring to and from the band switch to the Jentec pcb.
And see if there is something that has been set up on there in the way of transistor switching the MC145106 phase-locked loop frequency synthesizer ic's Pin 8 Lock Detector pin.
That is really all i can think of that John has done to stop the radio from TXing :!:
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

I would love to take on the job at looking at your radio's but at the min i really can not take any radio repairs on as we are in term oil over here in Rutland at the min! And i have give radio up for the time being and sold most of my kit off ready for a light move to a new QTH. (In the UK)
As well as that we had the workshop go up in smoke so most of my Jentec data was lost as well as a lot of RF valve amps and a 1962 BSA A65.
So i'm waiting on an insurance payout but that will not replace my notes and data and eeprom data on Jentec radio's :!: :!: :!:
But lucky for me i took a lot photos of the Jentec MK5 pcb's and what i know from making a few copies of these radio's for my self for 10 meters.

My self i would advise you to send this radio to (Nick black spirit) on this forum as he's a wiz with Cobra 148's/SS360's.

My self i think he would spot what is disabling the TX side of the radio :!: :!:
If he needs any information then i will only be too happy to help out the best i can.

A pic of the inside of radio would help as it may
be something so simple to spot :!: :!:

You never know i'm sorry i could not be of much help in the way of repairing the radio for you :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Keep us all posted.......
Gerrysea
Regular
Regular

Post by Gerrysea »

Ashtec wrote:I would love to take on the job at looking at your radio's but at the min i really can not take any radio repairs on as we are in term oil over here in Rutland at the min! And i have give radio up for the time being and sold most of my kit off ready for a light move to a new QTH. (In the UK)
As well as that we had the workshop go up in smoke so most of my Jentec data was lost as well as a lot of RF valve amps and a 1962 BSA A65.
So i'm waiting on an insurance payout but that will not replace my notes and data and eeprom data on Jentec radio's :!: :!: :!:
But lucky for me i took a lot photos of the Jentec MK5 pcb's and what i know from making a few copies of these radio's for my self for 10 meters.

My self i would advise you to send this radio to (Nick black spirit) on this forum as he's a wiz with Cobra 148's/SS360's.

My self i think he would spot what is disabling the TX side of the radio :!: :!:
If he needs any information then i will only be too happy to help out the best i can.

A pic of the inside of radio would help as it may
be something so simple to spot :!: :!:

You never know i'm sorry i could not be of much help in the way of repairing the radio for you :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Keep us all posted.......
Hi Ashtec,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly and in particular for helping me out by posting that pic of my 'Pair of fives'. real sorry to hear of your misfortune and such a shame that you are not able to work on them! I shall contact Nick (black spirit) as suggested, thanks for the sound advice and your offer to help if needed.

Good luck with the insurance man and the move to a new QTH; though why you'd want to leave Rutland I don't know. We visited the area and stayed in A lovely little B&B in Oakham during our honeymoon; a lovely part of the country and so beautiful around Rutland Water.
Keep safe & be lucky,

Gerry.
Gerrysea
Regular
Regular

Post by Gerrysea »

Ashtec wrote:I got your PM Garysea and i'm sorry i didn't get back to you asap :!: :!: :!:

Well the Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV's are not as complex as some may think :!: :!:

I would say if the 10 meter mode is locked out on TX mode then i would be looking at the band switch first :!: :!:
And see if there is anything that run's off to the TX line ie switching Mic TX pin on the mic socket or some think switching one of the TX transistors off.
On the pcb of the radio....
"Look around the bleep oscillator"
If there is note on the band switch then the Jentec PCB will have to come out for inspection on the band switching wiring to and from the band switch to the Jentec pcb.
And see if there is something that has been set up on there in the way of transistor switching the MC145106 phase-locked loop frequency synthesizer ic's Pin 8 Lock Detector pin.
That is really all i can think of that John has done to stop the radio from TXing :!:
Hi Ashtec,

TNX4That,

Ok, you say "not as complex as some may think";all radios are complex to me Ash! Don't let the Ham call fool you mate; passing the RAE was some sort of miracle for me, I am no technician, simply an enthusiastic operator. So everything in your post, after "looking at the band switch first" goes completely over my head :oops:

I will lift the lids and see if i can see anything obvious and take some pics while I'm in there.

Tnx again, your help is appreciated.
Keep safe & be lucky,

Gerry.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

why not just contact radio pete the guy that worked along side Jentec ??

while i'm here..

anyone remember kids TV programs Jack O'nory and Mr Ben ??
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Gerrysea
Regular
Regular

Post by Gerrysea »

bigpimp347 wrote:why not just contact radio pete the guy that worked along side Jentec ??

while i'm here..

anyone remember kids TV programs Jack O'nory and Mr Ben ??
Hi Big'un.

I'm already in touch with 'Pete via PM; simply started with the guy who lived closest to me but he's unable to assist at the moment. Too busy.

He also suggested Ashtec (Who's a drivable distance from me) or Black Spirit. Hence the reason I'll now be contacting Nic.

But thanks for your input.
Keep safe & be lucky,

Gerry.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

As i say i would advise Black Spirit i'm sorry i can not be of much help to you but as i say there isn't much on the Jentec conversion that could stop the radio from TX-on the 10 meter band if its RX-ing on there.
The only thing's that could stop it is what i have suggested to you.
By the way does the radio's tx LED light up when keyed up on the 10 meter band at all :?:

The Jentec MK5 conversion isn't that complex to disable the TX switching.

I really would get the lid's off and get a pic posted up as i really can not see it being a big job to sort out........
Gerrysea
Regular
Regular

Post by Gerrysea »

Ashtec wrote:As i say i would advise Black Spirit i'm sorry i can not be of much help to you but as i say there isn't much on the Jentec conversion that could stop the radio from TX-on the 10 meter band if its RX-ing on there.
The only thing's that could stop it is what i have suggested to you.
By the way does the radio's tx LED light up when keyed up on the 10 meter band at all :?:

The Jentec MK5 conversion isn't that complex to disable the TX switching.

I really would get the lid's off and get a pic posted up as i really can not see it being a big job to sort out........
Thanks Ashtec,

Really do appreciate that, especially now that I've had word from Nic.

I'm now feeling more than a little deflated, because having read through the forum I felt sure that I'd found an answer to my long held wish but it now appears that's not going to be the case.

As I've said, it appears that Pete's too busy with loads of other work on his plate and You've explained your own situation. But it really does appear that those of you recommending Nic (Black Spirit) for JENTEC work may have it way out off of left field, since he has replied to my pm on the subject as follows:
Blackspirit wrote:I won't touch them too be honest, I have only ever seen one and that was in 1993, So i have no knowledge of conversion at all.

Sorry i couldn't of been any help.

Nick........
So as you can see, Ash, your offer may be my only hope.:(

Unless anyone else out there has any better suggestions?
Keep safe & be lucky,

Gerry.
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Re: The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV tha was found in a loft

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

Ashtec wrote: 16 Apr 2011, 17:27 Im not really looking to make much cash out of it and to be honest im 20 years to late with this idea as you can buy new rig's with all this in them but not a lot of them Have a VFO if any of them i will be makeing some Vfo'ed uniden based radio's in the in the near future but im not looking for mass production of radio's.
I will be doing some for my self and for close friends you never know they may be well sort after in 20 years :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As they would'nt be 500 of them made i will be only makeing a few of them.................

You never know you may see a WESTLAND 707 with a VFO fitted.....................