So Frustrating....

Home of the Tango Mike DX Group - Transmission1's very own CB/11m DX group. All club related chat, QSL Card downloads and membership issues/requests to be posted here.
KernelPanic
Regular
Regular

So Frustrating....

Post by KernelPanic »

So here I am, I've now got my Tango Mike callsign (thanks Simon), a properly set up radio (Magnum 257 modded for the 11m band) and a 5/8 silver rod on a 20ft pole on the side of the house.

I'm itching to get started, and wanted to spend some time listening to QSO's so I can get more of an idea of the procedure before trying myself.

So... turn everything on, .555 USB, and all I can hear is (you've guessed it) damned interference from PLA/PLT :x

I think I've traced it to one of three or four houses nearby, but I don't want to approach the householders half-cocked. I'd rather knock on the doors with a solution than just a complaint (chances are they're unaware of the issue), but of course this means using my little free time preparing my approach rather than on the radio, where I'd rather be. At least on not missing out on fantastic propagation atm ;)

Anyway, thanks for indulging my little rant, at least you all appreciate how annoying it can be.

--
Colin

26-TM-404
KernelPanic
Regular
Regular

Re: So Frustrating....

Post by KernelPanic »

Result! :D

I took a walk with a portable SW radio and tracked down the PLA interference to a specific house. Having knocked and explained why I was there (and demo'd the interference on the portable set) the householder was very apologetic - she knew about these adaptors from her work (I didn't pry what that was) and asked what frequency the interference was on. My reply was "all of them" as I spun the tuning dial and showed her!

We proved it was their adaptors after she unplugged them and the interference stopped. She said she'd discuss the matter with her husband when he got home, but I haven't had any qrm since. I offered to help with a solution, and suggested she didn't didn't leave them unplugged on my account until they could organise an alternative, but they still seem to be unplugged.

Touch wood it stays that way, but at the moment I'm happy :)

--
Colin
26-TM-404
Corblimeyguvnar
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM097

Post by Corblimeyguvnar »

Result, and thats some decent neighbours you have, lucky you.

Now you just need some decent skip, keep your ears on, there has been the odd hour or two recently.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Decent neighbours and no PLT....you're living the dream matie! :mrgreen:

A result indeed, well done :-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
M6RIK
Call Sign: 26TM292

Post by M6RIK »

Now just make sure you do not cause her any QRM and you will both be happy.
26TM292

M6RIK
WolfieSmith
Regular
Regular

Post by WolfieSmith »

I have just gone through this pain, an upgrade to the shed connection weather and satellite scanning system with large, continual file transfers across the link (the more traffic across the link, the more you get interference) with newer high speed PLTs knocked out everything on my Magnum and also on the Scanner. I had to run a CAT5e connection to the house network, a right pain, but once the PLTs were removed, the 9 +20 interference disappeared. These are going to be a real pain for the radio hobbyist, having worked in IT for over 20 years, the conversations I get (when foolish enough to reveal my profession) is everyone needs their Internet, and these untested units will make a very easy upgrade to a home network, and a little more secure than wireless (I do my utmost best to deter people from using these things). I have a high speed wireless access point in the same room as the radio, but this causes no interference whatsoever, yet my MacBook causes interference when plugged into the mains for charging. I still get interference from somewhere but it does not stop me from using the radio. There are a lot of blogs on the net regarding these units, unfortunately I have not found any practical solution to the interference caused. Can these be reported to OFCOM as a cause of interference as would TVI from CB?
SierraTangoUniform

Post by SierraTangoUniform »

Wolfie, I'm not sure if they'll help with CB, but the RSGB do offer guidance to licenced Amateur Radio people and how to deal with Ofcom.

It'll almost certainly cost though....
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

When i had BT BB & Vision installed i was given 2x black commtrend adapters, Said to the mrs "i aint plugging them things in" Anyway i did plug them in as a test and checked the radio for interference and well...Nothing!

I dont have BT BB & Vision now i swapped too Sky BB but i still use the adapters for the PC upstairs as its easier than wireless or cables, The one adapter is right behind my monitor about arms length away from the radio, No interference on 11m or any amatuer band, Out of band i get about s3 noise..

I made some enqueries about the black adapters and apparantly these ones are [not my words] "notched so as not too interfere with amatuer bands", And i must admit the black ones are 100 times better than the older white ones.