PMR446 & 27Mhz Gateway (eQSO & FRN) help and chat

Have you found an interesting radio related website? Don't keep it to yourself, post it in here. The best ones will also be added to the weblinks database!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: PMR446 & 27Mhz Gateway (eQSO & FRN) help and chat

Post by Admiral »

In my opinion none of the VoIP stuff has anything to do with amateur radio (and I include 446 and CB in that).

Internet gateways suck.

Not for me thanks.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
wind in the antenna
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wind in the antenna »

It's got nothing to do with radio apart from the fact that it relies on radio at both ends in order to make it work :roll:

It's not for everybody I know, but I think it adds a bit of fun, interest and usefulness to an already diverse hobby.

I'm a radio armature who made the switch to ariel none-bio
New Face in Hell

----------------
Tony in Brighton
26TM9480
26FB298
G7TXU
----------------
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

wind in the antenna wrote:It's got nothing to do with radio apart from the fact that it relies on radio at both ends in order to make it work :roll:

It's not for everybody I know, but I think it adds a bit of fun, interest and usefulness to an already diverse hobby.
Very true, my words on the screen didn't actually reflect what I was thinking.

Good luck to everyone who uses a gateway and has fun doing so, and even more good luck to those that set one up, they can be a right bitch to get correct.

Anyone who can squeeze the last ounce of enjoyment from amateur radio (and again, I include 446 and CB in my definition of amateur radio, that's why I'm here because it is a very open minded forum and doesn't flame licensed users that admit to using 11m) should be encouraged.

It's just that having a landline as a repeater isn't for me.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I think Gateways are a good project for people to play with radios and computers. I don't personally have an issue with them and they can be good fun when the prop is low, but only if all the stations are using a radio to access the system, its not quite right if you're using an app on a PC/Device, unless you're abroad and want to talk to your friends back home of course!

I built one myself, just need a mobile antenna up on the mast to run it 24/7. :mrgreen:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
francisuk22
Call Sign: FRANCISUK22

Post by francisuk22 »

Live stream from the 446Muppets FRN gateway

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mpt002-l
Now: TYT UVF1, Baofeng UV-5R, Baofeng BF-888s
Previously: Binatone Terrain 550, Alan HP450
Scanners: ICOM IC-R5 with MRW-210 Super Gainer Antenna - Grecom PSR-282
AlfieDivine1
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26CT2369

Post by AlfieDivine1 »

Adam MPT001 wrote: 25 May 2010, 11:21 Shameless plug :) If you are interested in setting up a PMR446 or 27Mhz gateway then drop in on us. Help and advice is available on setting up brand new gateways or trouble shooting existing gateway problems. We need more gateways in the UK :)

http://www.446muppets.co.uk
Hi mate Are you still offering help with the 27mhz Gateways i have an interface and dont know how to get a server going and all set up would you mind helping out, or if you have links.
Thanks
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Don't hold your breath as he hasn't logged in for five years. The WWW may be more help to you, but don't confine your searches to 27MHz as a 70cm (etc) gateway has the same backend principles, just different radios attached.