Sirio 827 ,getting the most from it set up tips improvements ?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Sirio 827 ,getting the most from it set up tips improvements ?

Post by original45 »

Looking for you to share any tips tricks improvements so on to get the best performance and reliability from the 827.

I believe the first is anti vibration ring .
One issue I read is self tapers coming out .I read a wooden dowell inside at joint area so screws have a firm seat inside tube? any better ways to solve the issue ?.

Presently looking for a electrically conductive grease to improve things too for all joints
One thing I did read but can't find it now was to isolate insulate the 827 from its mounting pole .now I know from experience this for a a99 however however not sure 're 827.

Lastly all I can think of is the coil as is exposrd.Does anyone use any protective spray or simular on it at all.
What have I missed ,those of you who had them know the weaknesses improvements please share them with us so I can get the best out of the antenna.

Thank you all
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: Sirio 827 ,getting the most from it set up tips improvements ?

Post by cb4ever104 »

I bought a new one at Xmas (with ring) , but haven't installed it yet . So , I'll be following this thread with interest .
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

Tape all the joints,
I would use amalgamating tape around the top of the upper collar so rain can't run down between the bottom section & the collar,

sheet metal screws are the worst possible method of connecting antenna sections, they rot & the holes wear oval, vector 4000 sections have been known to drop inside,

slotting the tubes for hose clamps is much better but decent all stainless punched clamps are not cheap,

Breaze aero-seal are the best imho, they are lighweight & strong & stay looking like new after 15+ years,
Mikalor are also decent, sirio used Mikalor on the bottom 827 & vector joint,

I have some all stainless jubilee brand solid stamped clamps which are ott for antennas, too heavy,

always use the smallest clamp that will fit to reduce weight & wind load,

A few people use closed end blind rivets as used in aluminium aircraft,

some people use Noalox or Penetrox anti oxidant on antenna joints, a couple of people I know use Morgan RF Systems M-602 which they claim is better.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

You could use a thread-lock solution on the screws to help stop them coming loose (looks like blue or red superglue).

You could drill right through both walls of the tubing and fit very small bolts with some nylock nuts.

You could even fit jubilee clips over the heads of the screws, with the body of them opposite the screw head so the thin metal strip forms slightly over them, trapping them nicely.

You can put self-healing amalgamating tape over the joints and that will hopefully stop the screws working loose, as well as sealing the joints nicely (apply tape upwards on the tubing so the overlap is more waterproof).

You could fully solder the tubing on most of the joints (a bit drastic though), but I'm not sure if it'd hold out forever because of vibration and expansion/contraction, plus it'd be a pain to resell or transport ;)

29fb040
New User
New User
Call Sign: 29fb040

Post by 29fb040 »

original45 wrote: 12 May 2021, 08:37 Looking for you to share any tips tricks improvements so on to get the best performance and reliability from the 827.

I believe the first is anti vibration ring .
One issue I read is self tapers coming out .I read a wooden dowell inside at joint area so screws have a firm seat inside tube? any better ways to solve the issue ?.

Presently looking for a electrically conductive grease to improve things too for all joints
One thing I did read but can't find it now was to isolate insulate the 827 from its mounting pole .now I know from experience this for a a99 however however not sure 're 827.

Lastly all I can think of is the coil as is exposrd.Does anyone use any protective spray or simular on it at all.
What have I missed ,those of you who had them know the weaknesses improvements please share them with us so I can get the best out of the antenna.

Thank you all
Google my call sign
29FB040 look at my YouTube page find my sirio 837 video
And the one I did on its repair..... Take the same steps before you put it up and you'll have less problems in the future