CB Antenna projects?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
DungButton
Regular
Regular

Re: CB Antenna projects?

Post by DungButton »

Oooh, thats something I never knew. Thanks TS.
DungButton
Regular
Regular

Post by DungButton »

Well, I've temporarily had the gallows pole in a 'near' vertical position and lo and behold... the SWR dropped down to a useful 1.5:1 without further twiddling.

I even made a contact on the CB for the 1st time in over 35 years, hooray!

Modulation was weak apparently, I'm guessing my rig needs a little TLC after all that time in a cupboard.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

You built the dipole wrong. Think the letter T now that is how it's to look. Your coax is coming right down next to the element and it look like a l. Bring your coax out from the feedpoint at the right angle and the swr will drop. Also look up 1:1 balun that will isolate the coax from the antenna instead of the coax becoming part of the antenna like it is now that also makes the swr play up and causes interference . As someone else told you on another thread build yourself a T2LT antenna as it has the 1:1 choke built in. With that type of antenna you can't go wrong really for a noob.Just make sure you heat shrink the end and the part where the shield ends. And get a burner or it isn't worth it as no one will hear you passed a few miles away.