is a 1.1 Balun the same as a 1.1 unun ?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Buick Mackane

is a 1.1 Balun the same as a 1.1 unun ?

Post by Buick Mackane »

Is there any difference in their construction ? Far as i can tell by googling they are basically the same thing, Any help appreciated :thumbup:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: is a 1.1 Balun the same as a 1.1 unun ?

Post by ch25 »

BALanced-UNbalanced vs UNbalanced-UNbalanced
Different animals.
Unun: https://www.qsl.net/dk7zb/Baluns/MTFT.htm it's used for unbalanced antennas like random wire, endfed etc.
Balun is used for connecting balanced antennas like dipole to unbalanced coax. https://www.qsl.net/dk7zb/Baluns/current_balun.htm
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Thanks for the reply CH-25

Yes i know what they are used for and what the abbreviations stand for,

According to this link from a well known ham gear manufacturer a 1.1 balun - 1.1 unun - common mode choke - line isolator are all different names for the samething.

ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

They are obviously wrong.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Even experienced people get the names wrong. A choke is a choke, some call them a balan, when a balun does a different job of course, as does an unun.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Piggly
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7RUX

Post by Piggly »

No, they are not the same thing.

However, if you look at the main part of the three items they are just a 1:1 transformer, some with a core and some without.

Take that 1:1 and connect one winding to a dipole and the other to the coax feeder and you have a balun.
Take the 1:1 and connect the bottom of each winding together as a common ground and a monopole or long wire/ended to one side and the coax feeder to the other and you have an un-un.
Take the 1:1 and connect coax in and out but “lengthwise” through the windings and you have a common mode choke.

Now, different numbers of turns might be needed in each winding, varying with the core type, frequencies and how much coupling you need but that’s really the basis.

So no, they are different but I understand where the “all the same thing” comments come from.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Piggly wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 18:59 No, they are not the same thing.

However, if you look at the main part of the three items they are just a 1:1 transformer, some with a core and some without.

Take that 1:1 and connect one winding to a dipole and the other to the coax feeder and you have a balun.
Take the 1:1 and connect the bottom of each winding together as a common ground and a monopole or long wire/ended to one side and the coax feeder to the other and you have an un-un.
Take the 1:1 and connect coax in and out but “lengthwise” through the windings and you have a common mode choke.

Now, different numbers of turns might be needed in each winding, varying with the core type, frequencies and how much coupling you need but that’s really the basis.

So no, they are different but I understand where the “all the same thing” comments come from.
Thanks for the explanation, I Did read online that it depends on the wiring configuration as to whether it's classed as a unun or balun, Seem's like iv'e been using a balun as a choke on my EFHW, So it's not really suited to the job, At least i think its a balun bought it years ago, Can anybody confirm exactly what it is ?

Iv'e ordered a FT-240-43 Core, I'll use that to wind a choke.

Piggly
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7RUX

Post by Piggly »

In principle, yes, the wiring is what makes it behave differently. To be accurate, there are slight difference in the way each behaves so they aren’t precisely the same but in principle they are basically so.

A balun can work for an EFHW but won’t bring the impedance down to around 50Ohm if it’s a 1:1; if the two sides are dc isolated (not cross-connected) then decking one leg of the secondary would work ok-ish. It might work better if it were a quarter wave rather than half wave.