Paddington

Scanning radio frequencies for the South East
sah367
Regular
Regular

Re: Paddington

Post by sah367 »

DuncanM wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 18:49 If you are close enough you will hear both input and output, if you look at the RRUK frequencies they have an R or a T beside them, R for Receive (output) and T for Transmit (input). what you put has 2 R's and 2 T's
Thanks. As I was in the station, that explains why I got hits on both side's frequencies.
As I said, I need more time to get back up to London and do some "experimenting" at other stations :-)
Scooter

Uniden UBC-75XLT / UBC-125XLT // Whister TRX-1e
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

An easy mistake. I travel around a bit but mainly in the north west, I collect rail frequencies...
sah367
Regular
Regular

Post by sah367 »

DuncanM wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 18:49 If you are close enough you will hear both input and output, if you look at the RRUK frequencies they have an R or a T beside them, R for Receive (output) and T for Transmit (input). what you put has 2 R's and 2 T's
So.... Sorry for what may seem an silly question.
If I'm going to be at the station/location, would I only need to have entered the "R" frequency??

Thanks for all your help and advice.
Scooter

DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

Yes, It only has R and T if it's duplex. I have about 30 known rail frequencies in a zone in my radio.
sah367
Regular
Regular

Post by sah367 »

DuncanM wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 20:08 Yes, It only has R and T if it's duplex. I have about 30 known rail frequencies in a zone in my radio.
Brilliant. Thanks for your advice. I'll now concentrate on the R side frequencies.

I'm off up to London next weekend on a Scanner trip and aiming to spend some time at the main terminals to see what I get :thumbup:
Scooter

DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

Happy hunting. I'm rarely that far south these days.
Chris64ex4
Regular
Regular

Post by Chris64ex4 »

DuncanM wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 19:05Its not impossible to have more than one frequency at a station. Liverpool Lime Street has Network Rail who manage it on one frequency and Avanti on another, the MerseyRail on the low level trains a different one again
Not sure your right. I have been up in Paddington listening on the one frequency when it suddenly goes quiet, control pulses and all only to find that the traffic has moved onto the alternate frequency. CAP C system. Reading station is the same. The depot there seems to be an a single fixed frequency.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

I'm not wrong, I have the details for Lime Street, Network Rail on 453.025, Avanti are 453.9875, both DMR. They don't hop around. MerseyRail staff on the low level have radios but I've never heard them using them so thats 3 in the same building. St Helens Central which is on the line to Warrington is managed by MerseyRail, they use 453.550 also DMR, but no MerseyRail trains ever go through it only Northern and TransPennine. In Lime Street some Avanti staff carry two radios. I've never known of a station to use Cap+ but that doesn't mean none of them do. It's not impossible for other non users to use common rail frequencies. 453.9875 is used by a lot of people and near to me staff in a university use 453.900 a common rail frequency