Goodbye £80 !

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Techquest
Call Sign: 29VLF125

Re: Goodbye £80 !

Post by Techquest »

Depends on the seller there are a lot of good ones its just a case of weeding out the bad ones.
only ever had one issue with a seller on ebay got bad eproms and leds from the eproms won't program and the leds turned out to be 90v photo diodes
got the usual there NEW you did something wrong.
$12 for the lot he lost out in the end the diodes alone are over $1000.
Techquest AKA Jedi
Av101 Astro Plane Old Imax n Loads of Radios
Mmmmmmmmmmm ADAMS n other Presidents
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Hopefully I'll get lucky first time . If I actually manage to repair it then I'm going to make 101% sure that I don't do it again . I've bought one of those 30dB in-line attenuators as well just in case .

To be honest I'd prefer to "out source" this job to someone more skilled in SMD work if I could . I don't have enough practice , nor the tools (correct solder , paste , flux , eyesight :) etc , to be comfortable with it . I might ask around locally to see if I can find someone more competent .
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Job done !

After testing , it was only the first 4302 that was blown. Anyway. Watched the video. Removed the old one quite easily. I bought some flux and pasted a bit over the tabs. There was still a bit of solder left , but I went over them with the solder that I had. Fitting the new one was a bit trickier. It blew off a couple of times. I eventually got it on the 3rd attempt. It's a tiny bit "squinty" , but I've tested it and it's working. To be honest I'd rather not touch it again :) Final cost was €8 for the flux and €5 for the ICs , and an added bonus was that I didn't burn myself, or set anything on fire. Anyway. Thanks to everyone for their help. Especially Sue and bitbang.
IMG_20230110_183326_copy_1224x922.jpg
Sammy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cb4ever104 on 10 Jan 2023, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Sorry. I did buy an attenuator too for €20 , but that's more for future protection purposes :thumbup:

IMG_20230110_185024_copy_921x1223.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I had my electronic dashboard go wrong (they go completely blank) in my Renault Espace mk4 and although I replaced some small capacitors that could have been faulty, I took one look at the miniature SMD resistors (about 4mm long) and though "Sod that, I'll end up melting the whole board!".
I sent it off to some guy advertising repairs on ebay for £60 (Renault price was £400 pmsl). It turned out to be a faulty chip anyway rather than the usual suspect components, but they do make it difficult for those of us with trembling hands, fat fingers and dodgy eyesight to fix things don't they? ;)
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Now that I've sort of done one , I wouldn't be so hesitant to do another. The biggest issue as you say Dave is actually being able to see what you're doing. I bought one of those USB microscope things I while back. But it's not easy to get that , the light, the heat gun and your head all in the same space at the same time.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .