Has 2 meters become a CB band?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Has 2 meters become a CB band?

Post by StormShadow »

cottonfoo wrote:I live in the south, and have never heard anything bad on 2m (except for when a certain someone has been drinking on GB3AL). I really am not sure what all this "South" business is all about.

And for what it's worth, I've no desire to live in the north - ever ;)

(I'm going to edit this before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick, given a lottery win I'd be out of the south east like a flash, but only because of the overcrowding :) )
Lmao, yea I've been on GB3AL once or twice while on the Jägermeister but I've always behaved myself at the same time. :mrgreen: I've never been drunk off my a*s to the point where I'm totally out of it but I've heard others that have on 2 meters.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Classic wrote: 17 Mar 2014, 19:11
StormShadow wrote:I've just been informed by few other amateurs that the offenders of 144.725 are already under investigation.
Was Salem 2e0ekf involved ? He was on the CB Radio years ago causing trouble and got owned for his trouble
He is now M0XTA and can be heard on 144.725mhz talking the most boring BS.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Captain Lockheed wrote: 18 Mar 2014, 08:30
Mark-in-Essex wrote:
Classic wrote: Was Salem 2e0ekf involved ? He was on the CB Radio years ago causing trouble and got owned for his trouble

Selim is now M0XTA ...have spoke with him a few times :? ...You know to make your excuses when the subject of 4 meters comes up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Selim can be hard work, and he has 'issues', but he's pretty much a reformed character these days. Far worse being churned out from the instant ham factories in Essex.
A reformed character ? He just accused someone very close to me of doing something they didn't do. The bloke is a cock.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

When people ask about getting onto CB you usually get at least one person saying they should take their ham ticket instead - it's easy etc. I wonder if those people have any regrets.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Otter wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 16:06 When people ask about getting onto CB you usually get at least one person saying they should take their ham ticket instead - it's easy etc. I wonder if those people have any regrets.
Well it becomes clear ham radio is just like cb radio in China you have to watch what you say or you get a knock. To me that isn't good because i believe in free speech. Born free and die free. Long live freedom.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

StormShadow wrote: 23 Apr 2014, 12:14 Lmao, yea I've been on GB3AL once or twice while on the Jägermeister but I've always behaved myself at the same time. :mrgreen: I've never been drunk off my a*s to the point where I'm totally out of it but I've heard others that have on 2 meters.
The only time I go on 2m is after I've had a few beverages, it's the only way to make the repeaters (and their inhabitants) more bearable. As you've said though, maintaining a sense of responsibility is important (although I sometimes wonder why).
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Otter wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 16:06 When people ask about getting onto CB you usually get at least one person saying they should take their ham ticket instead - it's easy etc. I wonder if those people have any regrets.
Its like the old fart Werthers suckers who reckon they were strolling up the road one day, saw the sign and simply walked in off the street and took their RAE, and inevitably passed highest in the group with no preparation.

At one point about every second ham claimed this load of bollards for themselves, even though you had to book in advance and pay the fee so we knew they were lying bar stewards

Sadly over the years I've met as many bullsheeters on CB, except they smoke liquorice paper roll ups instead of eating Werthers.

People are born twits and stay that way regardless of which medium they end up on, and its up to us few sane folks to ignore them and carry on or the radio hobby is dead.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Its been going on since before i got my ticket in '94... regularly used to have a G3 n his cronies hog the GB3HS repeater spouting vile racist crap.
Repeater keeper was one of the cronies so it took some direct action to shut down the 'box....😉

Regarding current conditions i gotta say all the new callsigns i hear are generally good ops...yes there are exceptions but on the whole 2m is alive n kicking here in Kernow
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Farty wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 16:36
Its like the old fart Werthers suckers who reckon they were strolling up the road one day, saw the sign and simply walked in off the street and took their RAE, and inevitably passed highest in the group with no preparation.

At one point about every second ham claimed this load of bollards for themselves, even though you had to book in advance and pay the fee so we knew they were lying bar stewards

Sadly over the years I've met as many bullsheeters on CB, except they smoke liquorice paper roll ups instead of eating Werthers.

People are born twits and stay that way regardless of which medium they end up on, and its up to us few sane folks to ignore them and carry on or the radio hobby is dead.
Ah, the ole RAE paper! I've seen on of the papers, looked easier than the current method.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
beltane
Regular
Regular

Post by beltane »

I found this recently. I think it's called "Freenet", a German thing or something but the frequencies seem to be of little use in the UK so maybe it's an option for a kind of VHF CB?

Channel Frequency
1 149.0250 MHz
2 149.0375 MHz
3 149.0500 MHz
4 149.0875 MHz
5 149.1000 MHz
6 149.1125 MHz
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Are those not in the marine band?
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
justron
Regular
Regular

Post by justron »

Ant wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 12:12 Ah, the ole RAE paper! I've seen on of the papers, looked easier than the current method.
When I took my RAE it was a single paper of around 10 questions. It was not multiple choice, but written answers, with no knowledge of what the examiners were looking for in the answer. So all answers need to be a full as possible. And as I remember it, all of the questions were about electronics, so you needed to know much more about that narrow topic, than in the later multi choice RAE, or I would imagine in todays system. Although I doubt if either todays or my exam are comparable, as so much of my exam revolved around self building & thus valves.

I was an RAE trainer for several years & at that time the RAE was a multi choice exam, with two papers. One paper was, as I remember it, around 100 questions about licensing & operating & the second part around 50 questions on the technical side of the hobby. The paper took around 2.5 hours. You then needed to pass a CW test to gain access to HF.

And I believe they dropped the RAE to a single paper in around 2000. But that was after I had finished training & by the time they were talking about introducing that, I was not especially interested in the hobby, so I took little notice of such things.