Icom 706 mark 2

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Buick Mackane

Icom 706 mark 2

Post by Buick Mackane »

I love my mark 2 (Not mark 2G Model) Great RX Audio compared to my yaesu FT-450-D Which sounds weak and tinny, The RX is also very strong compared to my other radios, It's a solid piece of kit, Weighs a ton and is a bit power hungry, 1.5 Amps on RX,

Be good to hear other opinions on this classic radio. But i love mine :D

Oh and it isn't unlocked for use on the CB bands, I'm a professional radio user :lol:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Icom 706 mark 2

Post by MrWeetabix »

I still have two! Took one out last week for the NW Net from a hill overlooking Prestatyn. Straight forward to use, as you say it has cracking audio and when coupled with an autotuner its an essential in my car when out and about.

The IC-7000 that replaced it was OK, but ran really hot and was relatively expensive in comparison whilst delivering essentially a very similar product. You know they are well regarded as they still hold their price well at resale!
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

MrWeetabix wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 15:06 I still have two! Took one out last week for the NW Net from a hill overlooking Prestatyn. Straight forward to use, as you say it has cracking audio and when coupled with an autotuner its an essential in my car when out and about.

The IC-7000 that replaced it was OK, but ran really hot and was relatively expensive in comparison whilst delivering essentially a very similar product. You know they are well regarded as they still hold their price well at resale!
Yea they're definitely a latter day classic craig, I got mine from lamco's junk sale, It's a website where they punt stuff taking up room in their store room, But its hardly junk, No faults and its in good physical condition with its original mic and power lead
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

I had a MK2G one, good bit of kit in all honesty but I'm more of a Yaesu person.

The wife (who doesn't like two way radio stuff) has offered to buy me a FT-710 (the new SDR one) for Christmas but really I wouldn't use it that much so would be just a waste of money. If I was into the hobby like I once was I would have looked forward to getting a shiny new radio.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I love my 706, a solid radio with solid buttons. No squishy rubber buttons that wear out after ten years (looking at you, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc). I really like the older Icom gear, it was very well made indeed. Now it's all built to last only until the next release cycle comes around, and all the manufacturers seem to do it (compare the build quality of a 30 yr-old Motorola GP300 to their latest offerings). My only issue with the 706 is the power consumption. Even on RX it's the best part of 1A, that's nothing short of greedy.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Cant say I have used mine on a metered supply recently to confirm that power consumption thing. It is greedy if so though, as I have 2x 7300s on RX and IIR thy dont draw an amp between them.

Agree with comment about expensive kit and not using the features. I would absolutely LOVE an IC-9700 but I just cant justify £1500 (2nd hand) for what would essentially be a 2/70 occasional radio (but hell it looks sexy! Haha)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

26mb04 wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 04:30 My only issue with the 706 is the power consumption. Even on RX it's the best part of 1A, that's nothing short of greedy.
According to my PSU Amp Meter which is pretty accurate it uses 1.5 amps on receive, Just had a look at the specs in the instruction manual :shock: It's certainly no portable DX Machine, WTF is it doing with all that current on receive..My 817 is around 0.4 amps on receive

MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Perhaps they are soley responsible for Global Warming! Who knew! haha

Could be just less-efficient PCBs/chips etc, I suppose most of them were likely designed 30 years ago and likely around 20 years + in actual age too.

Newer iterations of similar tech *should* be far more efficient.

I wonder what it costs per-hour to run these days? :lol: