UK weather report frequencies

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
knowledge-gain
Regular
Regular

UK weather report frequencies

Post by knowledge-gain »

do any exist for the license-free...??

if so

where can we locate a list of frequencies for the UK...??

or

parts of the UK...??

if not

are there any for the 2m and 70cm bands...??
beltane
Regular
Regular

Re: UK weather report frequencies

Post by beltane »

This right here is a perfect example of what's killing ham radio. You ask a perfectly legitimate question and nobody bothers to answer it. Often you get derided for asking questions in the first place. I have tried for over two years to find an answer to this very same question, and I'm still none the wiser. All you get out of old duffer hams is "because that's how we do it" or they refer you to the utterly inept and in decipherable codswallop of the official OFCOM web pages, which just as well be written in bloody hieroglyphics. I have a lot of unanswered question that I've just given up asking now, and frankly my interest in radio i9s evaporating.

This is the state of modern ham radio. If you're not already one of THEM, you stand no chance of ever becoming one. It's an Old Boy's Club for grumpy old men who spent huge money on fancy-pants equipment and yet are seemingly angry they've wasted their lives doing it. If your call sign isn't at least 40 years old they won't even speak to you.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Perhaps people who have read the post simply don't have an answer to the question. I certainly don't. Does that make me an old duffer HAM? Hardly...

Whilst we have a good userbase of 11M and HAM users, that doesn't mean we have people who would be able to answer every question posted, especially those topics outside of those two core user groups.

I am sure that if anyone felt they had the answer, or had enough knowledge to suggest where the op should look, then they would have posted by now. Perhaps eventually someone will read the op's post and will be able to answer that, sadly that day is not today.

I am sure members will help where possible, in the mean time there is a very powerful tool called 'google', which if you spend enough time and effort, will return most answers needed, albeit needing a little more effort than making a post on a web forum.

Best 73 to all, hopefully the op will find the info they need.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

knowledge-gain wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 00:06 do any exist for the license-free...??
No.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

knowledge-gain wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 00:06 do any exist for the license-free...??

if so

where can we locate a list of frequencies for the UK...??

or

parts of the UK...??

if not

are there any for the 2m and 70cm bands...??

Sorry, don't use these frequencies. However, quite a few of us had years of fun with WEFAX, METEO FAX etc on this thread > viewtopic.php?t=13642. But I suspect that's not exactly what you are looking for.

beltane wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 18:55 This right here is a perfect example of what's killing ham radio. You ask a perfectly legitimate question and nobody bothers to answer it. Often you get derided for asking questions in the first place. I have tried for over two years to find an answer to this very same question, and I'm still none the wiser. All you get out of old duffer hams is "because that's how we do it" or they refer you to the utterly inept and in decipherable codswallop of the official OFCOM web pages, which just as well be written in bloody hieroglyphics. I have a lot of unanswered question that I've just given up asking now, and frankly my interest in radio i9s evaporating.

This is the state of modern ham radio. If you're not already one of THEM, you stand no chance of ever becoming one. It's an Old Boy's Club for grumpy old men who spent huge money on fancy-pants equipment and yet are seemingly angry they've wasted their lives doing it. If your call sign isn't at least 40 years old they won't even speak to you.
I estimate this took around 60 secs to 2mins to write. As you are a new member my best advice is to use the search facility, its very good. The purpose being that you try to help yourself fist, showing you have looked and found a thread that is close but no cigar maybe. Some members will even search on behalf of someone who hasn't bothered but that's not as common.

Like it or lump it there is an unwritten etiquette in life, those who endear themselves and try to take part and join in where they can, get more out than those who bemoan its not they way they want it to be. In the end you can't change something from the outside, you've gotta be in it to mould it .
Which way you go in the hobby is your choice. If all you have got to say at a few posts in is what you've posted to date I suspect you'll go on a lot of people ignore lists so just so you know that's why nobodies replying to your threads in future even if they are interesting, nobody will see them.
Can't help but love an Adams.

scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

There's always VOLMET.

Edit: Or am I thinking of ATIS?
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

There's the nice VOLMET lady on HF USB, wherever she is nowadays. There were a few freqs, but I can't hear any of them where I live. That aside, the marine channels have wx broadcasts every so often. A link to the official info is here.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

beltane wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 18:55 This right here is a perfect example of what's killing ham radio. You ask a perfectly legitimate question and nobody bothers to answer it. Often you get derided for asking questions in the first place. I have tried for over two years to find an answer to this very same question, and I'm still none the wiser. All you get out of old duffer hams is "because that's how we do it" or they refer you to the utterly inept and in decipherable codswallop of the official OFCOM web pages, which just as well be written in bloody hieroglyphics. I have a lot of unanswered question that I've just given up asking now, and frankly my interest in radio i9s evaporating.

Never heard such codswallop since Bipgimp was banned.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

Yes here an answer from an old duffer (im 67) M0MJO yes you have volmet and if your line of sight of a local Airport they run a freq low power for weather broadcast you will have to google your local frequency as i think (not sure) are all fifferant maybe some one may correct me i can just pick up Humberside airport weather here in Cleethorpes about 20 miles away.

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I think it’s simply because it was one of those couldn’t be bothered to google, not anything to do with rubbish about killing ham radio, as a weather service has absolutely nothing to do with ham radio. Indeed, ham radio is actually obsessed with the weather, listen long enough and somebody in Helsinki will say it’s snowing and somebody in Leeds will say it’s raining.

Airfield ATIS is an excellent system on the radio, and available on-line of course. I’m involved with marine radio and always thought it odd why in US mode, they have weather channels, but internationally, it never caught on. Coastguard still do regular proper, in-depth weather, with wind and sea state, plus gale warnings every three hours or so, but these are localised, and often not beamed inland. Always in the sixty channel range, but announced on channel 16. I get them in my office, but frankly they are not that useful on land. The airfield ones are also more focussed on air pressure, dew point, wind direction, strength and gusts, and of course visibility and cloud cover, so a bit of science is needed to turn them back into normal weather forecasts.