The Baofeng channels

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

The Baofeng channels

Post by 26mb04 »

Are Ofcom actually bothered about people using the Baofeng channels? I don't use them myself, but some of my contractors do and it irks me. I assume they do actually match some Simple Site allocations. I pay the Simple Light tax, but it seems I'm a minority when I could just Baofeng it.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
troffasky

Re: The Baofeng channels

Post by troffasky »

Enforcement is pretty thin on the ground, so unfortunately those who follow the rules [and pay for the privilege] are left feeling like mugs. Of course, plenty of the Bumfeng Band users won't even be aware they're doing anything wrong because they bought them from Amazon, right?
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: The Baofeng channels

Post by paulears »

Simple Light tax?? Oh - you consider licensing some kind of tax? I bet EE and Vodafone might think their licences a bit more troublesome. Business light is not a protected service, so like most well known bands, you could operate almost anywhere and unless people accidentally find you, they'd never know - and it's now a reactive service. They steam in quickly when they expect important problems - like at the Queen's Jubilee when the broadcasters from abroad all got repeated checks on their equipment to make sure it would only operate on licensed UK channels. If the Baofengs are on their stock frequencies, few will interfere with any service that would generate an OFCOM visit - it just doesn't work like that any more.