Help needed , Ex Military truck Antenna problem

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
Jimmy G
Registered New User
Registered New User

Help needed , Ex Military truck Antenna problem

Post by Jimmy G »

Hi Guys , Has anyone here experience fitting a CB radio to an ex military truck ? I am looking at fitting one but I can see problems as the chassis / body of the truck is not earthed so I don't think that there is a groundplane for the antenna , ( everything has two wires running to it, not like a car with common earth ) I would think that if you used a standard antenna then you would accidentally connect the battery -ve to ground via the antenna cable . ( there is a test circuit on the truck so that if either + or- of the battery is connected to the chassis it will pull a breaker in) also if you use a non groundplane antenna then the metal body will interfere with it ?. I will be fitting the antenna to a roof rack I am making .. Any advise would be appreciated.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Help needed , Ex Military truck Antenna problem

Post by The Collector »

Jimmy G wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 21:13 Hi Guys , Has anyone here experience fitting a CB radio to an ex military truck ? I am looking at fitting one but I can see problems as the chassis / body of the truck is not earthed so I don't think that there is a groundplane for the antenna , ( everything has two wires running to it, not like a car with common earth ) I would think that if you used a standard antenna then you would accidentally connect the battery -ve to ground via the antenna cable . ( there is a test circuit on the truck so that if either + or- of the battery is connected to the chassis it will pull a breaker in) also if you use a non groundplane antenna then the metal body will interfere with it ?. I will be fitting the antenna to a roof rack I am making .. Any advise would be appreciated.
It's a shame that you never came back to see if you had any replies, according to your last log-in details.
Something like this I've just quickly painted might've done the job if you only wanted to reach a couple of miles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.