What are your immediate DX goals ? (Any band)

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
InTheClouds

What are your immediate DX goals ? (Any band)

Post by InTheClouds »

I have 100 entities under the belt on 100W and a wire, my immediate goal is to rack up about another 10 of what I think should be fairly easy DX, a couple of S.America countries that have yet to crop up when I am on for example. I only get 1 session on the radio a week. The trouble is after 100 countries with just a wire it starts getting much more difficult to bag new countries as they get more exotic. Less populated, poorer so less hams or less potent antennas and power. Not even 1 new country per radio session.

Pile ups are hard work when you fight against Kilowatt ERPs from amps and beams, so break throughs tend to be when the big guns have got through or fed up trying. I find DX is mainly luck, persistence and patience after your chosen antenna has proven to be working within spec. Luck of conditions, more luck comes the more hours you are on, luck of entities being on when you are on.

I hold my own and regularly speak 4-13K miles every time I am on but new entities.. well that sure is a patience game with a wire.

What are your dx goals ? Any band CBer or Ham.. it is just there is no forum to address hams and CB DX'ers alike. I don't give a hoot frankly
whether your DX goals is CB or Ham, in regards this thread replies as long as the forum mods don't mind CBers replying on ham section. (Also HF or VHF/UHF any band goals)
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: What are your immediate DX goals ? (Any band)

Post by ch25 »

My DX goal is HR #1 on phone. Hard to get, because no one is transmitting from entities I need. 3 more to go :(
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

I am not sure what HR1 is, I guess all countries worked. Yes...I work only SSB phone here.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Honor roll #1
331 DXCC cfm
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Congratulations on your dx success ! Don't put all the pressure on some external confirmation to have your achievement validated. You know yourself what you have achieved, you cannot lie to yourself. I manage about 100 in roughly 1 year, now the hard work starts. In reality it will be impossible with just wire and 100w. I will probably never manage 200 but it will be enjoyable trying.

400W might help but I don't want to go down that avenue yet, more satisfying to do it on 100W. I know my signal gets everywhere on the globe now
the rest is a case of conditions and timing.

You have to live with the fact that there is another layer of TX and RX that you are not privileged to make without full power and a beam. So be it.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

I've been there.
100-120 on wire and 100W SSB. Than CW up to 160.
Than beam antenna up to 265
Than better beams, amplifier, rx antennas and so on.
Of course hunting DX is priority. Grayline DXing, shooting dxpedition multiple slots, modes.There are no half measures. This is lifestyle, I'm hardcore DXer :)

Good opportunity to get new DXCC are contests. During contest they want to work you and many stations are on the air. Good time to work missing slots.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

I think I will never manage it all, for a few reasons. I don't really like contesting so much QRM to fight against on the weak signals. I prefer a hissy quiet band and hearing voices slide out of the ether and jump out of my skin when it is new country heard calling first. That is the main way hear them, early or spend 45mins fast keying with 800 KW going into sky from whole planet of other stations ha ha and wait 45mins or 1 hour.. and then feel a bit underwhelmed when you get through at the end, knowing your weak quiet signal just about made it (getting a 5/9 of course when you were 5/2) ha ha :lol: Or maybe you get luck and conditions move to your QTH and DX comes up from S2 to S6 and them boom you are in !

I am close to .. if I can hear them I can work them.. but not always. As long as DX station does not have lot of RX noise to cut through.. 100w wire cannot penetrate it well... often it seem Asian stations have lot of noise especially on 20m, this makes it a challenge for sure.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

I thought about CW a bit... but for 2022 I also wonder if there are better things to be doing or learning. All depends
on the individual I guess. Life is short... and I am not entirely sure so much time invested is worth the payback.
Samalex
Call Sign: MM0

Post by Samalex »

my goal was to work 100 dxcc on 6m and i did that now its just seeing whats about and what i can work. I just enjoy playing on the radio when i can.

Since i passed my ticket i have tried all sorts 100 dxcc on ssb cw digital all usa states even done some sats working for a year as well. Done contesting working lf bands working Aurora weather receiving and so on. not sure what i will do next maybe eventually get back on soon as i am unable to get to the radio desk for too much stuff in front but that will change in next few weeks.

I use to do weak signal and propagation hunting trying to work dx in pileups and dxpeditions but its hard now with the noise levels i get. That was probably the best fun i had after 6m
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Congratulations of those 6m contacts, especially for phone. I have an odd relationship with radio. I conclude it is not healthy for me to have it as a sole hobby. Fortunately, I have a few although they shift around for first place as time flows. It is a good hobby to have but is not the be all and end all. I find the changing bands thing a bit like doing the same thing over and over again at least for DX. Oh 15m is open, now I can do literally exactly the same thing as I did before on 20m. :lol: :crazy: It is not like it requires a new set of skills.. a band is either open or not allowing you to do exactly the same thing again. On higher bands you just gets a little faster QSB but also less noise and if so inclined can use a beam easier due to smaller size. That makes it all easy and incomparable with a wire contact on a lower band. It is hard to judge your own merits in a pursuit greatly reliant on luck.

40/80 are ok for a local UK/Euro chat but being honest other than the occasional go on them for curiosity I find them a bit dry.

You can tear the ar** out of it if you don't watch out it is better not to over do it and leave it a bit fresh when you next come back as you get more out of it again. There is more to life than the radio, it is best kept as one of a range of life activities. I appreciate it is there as an option.
Last edited by InTheClouds on 27 Mar 2022, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Samalex wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 19:47my goal was to work 100 dxcc on 6m and i did that now its just seeing whats about and what i can work.
Congratulations!
I started on 6m last year, managed to get 72DXCC barefoot on diy 1/4GP on the roof.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

To work DXCC
on 11m
CW
QRP

Now that is a lifetime goal wouldnt you say? :lol:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Samalex
Call Sign: MM0

Post by Samalex »

Good work with a GP. I done over 100 barefoot but was with a yagi started with 2 ele and now use a 5 ele DK7ZB all done on SSB or CW which is harder now as most are using FT8
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

SFI peaking up 156 today, highest I have seen for 15 months. Someone's immediate DX goals may get better, give it a whirl. Cannot be on the radio today.
I wonder if there is a chance of there being a conditions and contacts part of the forum that would be a nice addition. It could be mixed 11m and ham to try and bring some fellowship between all DX people !