Handheld choice. Which digital mode? DMR?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Channelhop
Registered New User
Registered New User

Handheld choice. Which digital mode? DMR?

Post by Channelhop »

First post having read a lot of very useful stuff on here already and just after a little advice. I'll be taking my exam soon and looking to get a handheld with digital capability.

Main uses will be:

1. Simplex between a friend and I who live a few miles apart (Yes, I could do this with analogue – we have line of sight, but I prefer the idea of a clean signal with digital)
2.Using repeaters to reach out further.

My main question, that I’ve tried in vain to find an answer to without coming and asking a total newbie question here, is what is the most popular digital mode in the UK?

I’m thinking it’s DMR? (rather than D-Star or Fusion) and am I right that whichever you choose you can only Simplex to others with the same type of digital format and only use repeaters that use that format too?

When I was initially looking into digital and didn’t know they were not cross-compatible I liked the idea of the Yaesu FT-70 (Fusion) as from reviews I have read, the programming is seemingly far easier than say the TYT MD-UV380 and though I’m willing to put time in if it’s essential, the difficulty that so many seem to have with programming DMR radios (from what I’ve read on forums) is quite off-putting.

But, obviously, it’s no good going Fusion if it’s behind DMR in terms of what I can access in the UK.

I’m sure many have radios that cover each of the formats but for now finances dictate that I’ll need to choose just one so wanted to ask so I don’t have buyers remorse days after passing my Foundation 😊

Thanks in advance for any advice
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Handheld choice. Which digital mode? DMR?

Post by ch25 »

Channelhop wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 10:071. Simplex between a friend and I who live a few miles apart (Yes, I could do this with analogue – we have line of sight, but I prefer the idea of a clean signal with digital)
It's not clean. Sound like Donald duck with tampax in his nose. Annoying.
Digital can't sound better than FM.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

I've got a C4FM fusion radio and it makes people sound like robots, our local repeaters went digital a few years ago and all I hear on them is people from overseas talking to other people overseas, very few if any locals are on them now, so a big disappointment imho. None of the digital systems are compatable with each other either, i.e. fusion won't talk to d-star and none will talk to dmr so choose wisely. For myself, I'll be selling mine and wish I hadn't wasted my hard earned on it. If you want to experiment then go for the cheapest for you and your mate, a lot of digital repeaters can usually be accessed with echolink anyway, so no need for a radio. If you just want to listen then SDR dongle and software will do it for cheap.

To me this digital lark is just overcomplicating something that should be simple and reliable comms, I much prefer analogue personally, it's clean enough with a good signal. Good luck with your exam btw :thumbup:
The perfect face for radio.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Channelhop wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 10:07 First post having read a lot of very useful stuff on here already and just after a little advice. I'll be taking my exam soon and looking to get a handheld with digital capability.

Main uses will be:

1. Simplex between a friend and I who live a few miles apart (Yes, I could do this with analogue – we have line of sight, but I prefer the idea of a clean signal with digital)
2.Using repeaters to reach out further.
Most if not all DMR tranceivers are also analogue..
My main question, that I’ve tried in vain to find an answer to without coming and asking a total newbie question here, is what is the most popular digital mode in the UK?
DMR..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Channelhop
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Channelhop »

Thanks for the responses.

Just to pick up on what Mitch mentioned and to check I’ve not misunderstood

DMR repeaters can be used like analogue repeaters just re-transmitting your signal to the local area (without using the repeaters internet connectivity) as well as the wider ranging talk groups right?

Also, DMR radios can still be programmed with CTCSS tones to use analogue repeaters?
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

I'll try to clarify. Digital repeaters re-transmit input to output locally like 'normal' repeaters, but our local ones (GB3CF & LE: https://www.leicestershirerepeatergroup.org.uk) are perminently connected to the internet so the whole world has access, you can select talk groups/channels on the radio but you can't choose just 'local' analogue. They don't use DMR as far as I'm aware, just C4FM, D-Star and NXDN (whatever that is), and usually have a GB7xx callsign. Ours used to be analogue hence the GB3xx call. As far as I know DMR/analogue radios will have CTCSS on analogue mode for normal repeater access though so will still work OK with them. Hope that helps.
The perfect face for radio.
Channelhop
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Channelhop »

Really helpful. Thanks very much Mitch