MT6000E Key Loader DOS Software

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
wilsarno
Regular
Regular

MT6000E Key Loader DOS Software

Post by wilsarno »

Hi,

Does anyone have a copy of the CMU software used to put the hex keys into MT6000E radios?

Old DOS software which was used just for key input.

Ta
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: MT6000E Key Loader DOS Software

Post by Metradio »

To enter the MASC encryption keys you need a stand alone key loader, looks like a Psion Organiser. Only MT6000E's with a MASC board fitted are MASC enabled.

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
wilsarno
Regular
Regular

Post by wilsarno »

Mike,

Yes you are correct there was a Psion Organiser, they did do a DOS version but it was rare, hopefully someone might have a copy.

Even better if a Psion Organiser appears on EBay.

Dave
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

A key loader appeared on eBay a couple of years ago which was quickly snapped up..

Mike

26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I'm pretty sure running a KVL'd MT6000E is a bit naughty on these bands.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

What bands would it be a bit naughty to run ?

Mike

26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I'd have thought running MASC on any of the ham bands would be a bit dodgy, it's probably OK on a business allocation though. It's tempting, but for the price of a KVL it might be cheaper just to buy an aes entitlement for DMR.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

Encryption on Simple UK Lite is fine... A key loader is not always required, due to a glitch at Motorola multiple MT6000E's can have their keys cloned from a single MT6000E with a working key...

Mike

Orbita
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Orbita »

Metradio wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 10:16 To enter the MASC encryption keys you need a stand alone key loader
Hi !
That's technically partly correct and partly incorrect.
I'm also seeking that particular CMU software, let me explain some technical details :

The CMU software package (on Floppy disks, of course !) will turn a standard (DOS, think 386/486) PC into the MASC Crypto Management Unit.

With that CMU, you can either keyload/fill a fillgun, or a radio directly (at least for the PRP74, should be the same for other handhelds like the MT6000e)
BUT : to fill directly a radio (again in the case of the PRP74) you will need a "CMU Adaptor" between the "CMU Lead" (connected to the computer) and the "Key Fill Lead" (connected to the radio)

the CMU Lead was supplied with the CMU, the CMU Adaptor and Key Fill Lead were supplied together as the "Key Fill Programming Cable"
That "CMU Adaptor" was merely just a R232 gender-changer with some pins swapped...

To keyload a fillgun from the CMU, you just needed to connect the fillgun to the CMU with the CMU Lead, no adaptor required...
To keyload a radio from the fillgun, you just needed to connect the radio to the fillgun with the Key Fill Lead, no adaptor required either...

So technically, you don't absolutely need the fillgun to keyload your radio...

In my case I have a fillgun, (well I'm lucky and have two, but only one is really "fully operational") but I also need the CMU software.
Why ?
Because "Keyloader" is an incorrect terminology.

These good ol' Psion Organizer II LZ (with special 16k datapak and SES RO rugged case with built-in Comms-Link) are fillguns and labelled as such !
they aren't "true" Keyloaders like a Motorola T3011 KVL would be, but just merely Fillguns so they can't generate a CryptoVariable by themselves !

My old a** forgot that at those time, infinite key retention was not popular, and so both my MASC keyloaders have now lost their fill content after sitting for some years in a storage box... The firmware is in UVPROM, but the keys are in RAM...

[BTW : I recently learned that the Psion can last a long time (year) on a 9V batt when sleeping, but is never truly "Off" and will wake up for a sec every 34 minutes to update the µP RTC ! look it up here ! https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/]

I know you can clone keys between radios due to a glitch (I have 3 MT6000e myself, but don't forget to backup those tuner values before cloning !) but I'm not looking for the software to change my keys right now, but more like an academic approach, as an amateur historian.

I intend to document my finding for the CryptoMuseum when I finally find that software and got that full hardware working, so everybody with a Psion LZ (plentiful and cheap on eBay) and a DOS 486 PC (not so plentiful & cheap nowadays, but everybody playing with Jedi/MT6000e should already have one for the RSS programming) can recreate a genuine fillgun and play with keyloading on MASC enabled hardware ! (a bit like PA5DOF did for the Racal Cougar fillgun, but with genuine Psion instead of an Arduino...)

[For those who still haven't heard of the CryptoMuseum, look it up, it's an excellent site ! https://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/voice.htm]

I have collected a lot of documentation about this MASC system over the years, I still have the academic publication of the scrambler inventor, because Marconi was just the builder, it was an University that designed the scrambling algo...
Interesting read, like the use of a 31bits sync word with BCH FEC...
IIRC the DSP used was a TMS320C17. The prototype PCB was built inside a Pye PFX Remote Speaker-Mic

FYI The MASC system had two versions : the "standard" UK Police version (HO) and an export version (CO)
IIRC It was a 38-bits key system based on rolling bandsplitting (5 bands, swapped approx 10 time per sec)
There was also an authentication key in addition to the Traffic Key (TEK) for stunning and remote zeroising...
Both keys were entered via the CMU...

Only 2 chips formed the heart of this scrambling system : the TMS320C17 DSP (also TMS320E17 & TMS320P17) and a Motorola MC145480 CoDec.
Oddly enough, contrary to most analog scramblers (with internal digital "shuffling") which used CVSD for the A-D then D-A conversion, MASC used a PCM "wavecoder" ...
(I don't like to use the term vocoder for CVSD and PCM...)

Interestingly, the French had a similar system (codenamed MICA) for their police UHF handheld, but it was Time-Domain instead of Frequency-Domain Scrambling.
(I got lucky and found one too ^^, but of course zeroised and I've heard their fillguns were all destroyed...)

Thanks a lot for any answers about the CMU you may provide ! IMHO it's important to safeguard old techs to see how it was before...