Alinco DR-135UK

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Alinco DR-135UK

Post by Mudslinger »

Thanks for the info on the function button, I will have to try that later.

I haven't got any issues with mine distorting on SSB, and there is a station about 1 mile away who i speak to regularly.

What might happen is that the stations you are listening to are using a wider bandwidth on TX (Typically old school radios), if you listen to them on a narrow bandwidth receiver that can sound a bit odd.

It did take me a while to get accustomed to using SSB on mine in comparison top my Superstar 360FM

Wider bandwidth is great for nice audio quality, but narrower bandwidth is better for longer distance and for fitting more stations into a band

On the Alinco you can actually use the zero frequencies and not get much inteference from stations on the 5's, but if you try that on an older Uniden or Cybernet you will get lots of splatter from them.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

A narrower RX than TX won't cause scratchy audio but it will lose a lot of top and bottom end in the audio leaving the RX audio sounding flat and lifeless.

I was on a very busy 10mtr band this morning and the little DR-135 coped pretty well considering the only filtering you can enable is the hi-cut, however, this is an audio filter and not a IF filter.

After using the radio today I am very used to the audio now and can live with it. I put the NATO 2000 on for a comparison and the audio is very similar to the 135. Good old cybernet ;-).

Time to get the 148 on lol
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Personally Andy I think the Alinco as well as having a slightly narrower RX on SSB but the AGC isn't the best, hence the slightly strange audio (but I've got used to it), which of course is an issue with the Nato 2000 that has a poor AGC performance (typical of later Cybernet export designs).
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Well my friend has just been round with his 135. He heard mine and told me it sounded fine. I put his on to set it up for him and then found a few stations and his sounded exactly the same as mine. I am now happy that it's just how the radio sounds and that it is me who isn't used to the style of RX audio it produces.

At the end of the day I am used to a TS-870 which no little radio will beat on audio and I am also used to Uniden audio which for me, no Cybernet style radio will ever sound as good a Uniden.

Overall I love the little 135 and I am getting used to the audio. Programming cable should be here in the next few days so I will set it up the way I want it with a mix of 10 and 11 mtr bands.
For the price I got it at I think it well worth the money and is fantastic when you consider it is a new radio and some people pay more than that for a 30 year radio with a lot of screwdriver history ;-)
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Uncle Buck
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G1UZN

Post by Uncle Buck »

To enable auto squelch on AM and FM, power on the radio while holding down [FUNC] and [DW] at the same time. ASq Di will appear, turn the channel selector so the display reads ASq En. Power off the radio and back on.

Now press the center button on the mic to enable/disable auto squelch. When auto squelch is enabled AQ will appear on the display.

NOTE: Auto squelch only work on AM and FM modes.

While this is a simple mod to perform I will not be held responsible should anything go wrong while performing the mod.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I have had three of these radios, and two of them had problems, one with the display colours, the other with the backlight.

They work ok when they are going, but build and reliability isn't the best. :(
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Nitehawk

Post by Nitehawk »

Does anyone when the radio is cold, its off frequency till it warms up is this common, i use a Astatic 1104c base mic and other stations have sent me a recording and it sounds really nice, thanks.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

My dx 10 is off until warms up then almost spot on. I generally turn it on 30 mins prior to use or drop a folded microfiber cloth on top a while.
Would warble too on band until warm also.