Icom ic-7300

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Alan Pilot

Icom ic-7300

Post by Alan Pilot »

What are your thoughts/opinions on this radio.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Icom ic-7300

Post by ch25 »

No competition at this price tag.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

ch25 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 10:58 No competition at this price tag.
Is that saying it's ok ???.
29LV145

Post by 29LV145 »

I've been using one as the main radio for ages to replace a Kenwood TS480SAT, no complaints so far - it spends most of its time on 60M FT8 in the shack and I'm happy with it.

Can't remember what I paid for it but mine was new from Dan in Bristol ( Ham Radio Shop? )

Some people complain about the fan noise on TX but that can be replaced for a quieter unit and not having an option to plug an external monitor into it but for what you pay I think its a good radio.

Andy
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

7300 is very good radio.
Only downside for me is lack of separate RX antenna socket, but if someone need it, can be added.
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Thanks for the replies guy's.
Only plugged it in around 3pm yesterday and the bands where dead round my qth but quite liking it so far.
One thing i did notice was it picked up a lot of qrm but not got into the settings yet just might have to read the book.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

What antenna do you have and where placed?
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

ch25 wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 11:33 What antenna do you have and where placed?
Had it on my vertical HF multiband that i don't use much as i had the 991a on the cobweb.
Swapped them over this morning and it's a lot better.
Got to get my head round the settings now but a problem arose that stopped play.
Daughter has turned up for the long weekend so that has stopped me playing radio (well just for a bit lol).
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

I had a qso on 20m with someone on a 7300 in Canada and they sounded fine. They were running a few hundred W, but they sounded no different to anyone else. I've heard they're really popular stateside partly because you get a lot for the cash. I think SDRs are going to be the way things are done in the future.

Personally, I'm not a fan of touchscreens or multi-function clicky button-knobs. I've learned from the FT-817 that these multi-function knobs WILL wear out and start to glitch after a few years of use, and a replacement component will do the same thing after another few years. This isn't Icom or Yaesu's fault, I just think they're a bad compromise for what, in my opinion, should be three seperate components: A menu button, a function dial, and enter button. When that multi-function knob starts to glitch, you lose ALL the functions it was supposed to do, not just the one. For something that costs over a grand new, there are other radios without these components which will never have these problems.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
36ian

Post by 36ian »

Bought a 7300 as an impulse buy. Never heard a bad one on air and apparently mine sounded great too. I used it mainly on 4M sadly it was not the best performer, I encountered lots of 'bleed over' from strong stations, no amount of adjusting the filters would solve it.
Sold it after about 6 months and went back to Yaesu - happy days