Direct to Full License

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
5973Laterz
Regular
Regular

Re: Direct to Full License

Post by 5973Laterz »

I mean high numbers of questions correct, not just hitting pass mark.

If you just hit the pass mark maybe you get 50W if you pass with 90 Pct or more 100W.
If you studied better you get more Watts privilege kind of deal.

Telling Intermediates to stay on 50W so they cannot use their expensive radio capacity is very unfair, highly frustrating
and needs a serious rethink IMO. That is if you are inclined to follow the law which I do.

Yes ok 50W is just 3dB. But it is a very significant 3dB for a 100W radio owner, there is no
existing Intermediate operator that will disagree with that.
I worked the world at the 11 year cycle low on a snapped PL-259 center pin and 0.01W so neh neh ne ne neh
milly

Post by milly »

5973Laterz wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 11:33 I mean high numbers of questions correct, not just hitting pass mark.

If you just hit the pass mark maybe you get 50W if you pass with 90 Pct or more 100W.

Telling Intermediates to stay on 50W so they cannot use their expensive radio capacity is very unfair, highly frustrating
and needs a serious rethink IMO. That is if you are inclined to follow the law which I do.

Yes ok 50W is just 3dB. But it is a very significant 3dB for a 100W radio owner, there is no
existing Intermediate operator that will disagree with that.
I think what you are highlighting is that no-one is ever happy with what they have access to even if they did know in advance what the limitations would be. A good example of the 'entitled' view that seems to pervade society now.

It's a strange world where Foundation holders want more than they have, Intermediate licence holders want more than they have and most full licence holders don't use what they have and in many cases still want something extra.
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"
5973Laterz
Regular
Regular

Post by 5973Laterz »

I don't think it needs to be seen like that, in fact arguably ham radio goes against the quick and easy satisfaction fix of social media, internet etc. Whilst frustrating it is motivating as it gives you the push you need to bother jumping a level. I do think it could be carefully thought about and improved a bit though. But overall I think the RSGB do a very good job as gatekeeper.

As you say it is what it is, you know the limitations but I can still feel frustrated, I have a right to that if I wish, along with some others who do
stay within their licence terms.

You might be right though I won't contest your view too hard, maybe we do just want more, only human.
I worked the world at the 11 year cycle low on a snapped PL-259 center pin and 0.01W so neh neh ne ne neh
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

5973Laterz wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 11:33

so you want 100w but don't want to earn it ??
do what the foundation licence holders do, just run 100w no one will notice or care.

i mean going that extra mile so you can run your radio on full power, been a CBer long ??
you can work the world on 10w even less, if you think using 100w gets you more contact you should stick with CB and get a burner.
not bother looking at your set up and making it more efficient and effective.

What next if you've held a dimwits foundation for 15 years or more just give them 100w as well ??

you want it, you earn it.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

milly wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 12:30
I think what you are highlighting is that no-one is ever happy with what they have access to even if they did know in advance what the limitations would be. A good example of the 'entitled' view that seems to pervade society now.

It's a strange world where Foundation holders want more than they have, Intermediate licence holders want more than they have and most full licence holders don't use what they have and in many cases still want something extra.

Imagine doing a test and getting only half the bands out there,
say anything above 30Mhz. we'll call this a B licence.
then imagine a test comes along and you pass it and you get pretty much the same as the above but less power and limited band spread.. we'll call this a Novice B licence.
you want that extra you work a bit harder..
all good so far i think,
then imagine you want below 30Mhz, you have to do another test to get you on there (we'll call this an A licence and it is passed by doing a CW test at 12wpm) but if you weren't quite good enough you could easily pass and get less band coverage but you're on there..this we'll call a novice B licence (same CW test but at 5wpm).

wow this is really good,
but what if you have a B licence and only a novice A licence ?? we'll call that an A/B licence and limit the power you can use but pretty much have everything else a real A licence has.

then imagine after all that, you're happy with what you have and some bright spark comes along and says..
"what about a p1ss easy test that a child can pass and if you pass we'll give you every thing a A, licence has but limit you to 10w.. so pass a simple dimwits test and become a 10w A licence..

it was a bad idea from the start.. you have Novice B licence holders and even B licence holders doing the 'foundation' just to get on HF, after all by now CW had been dropped,
after a year or so whoever thought up this great idea to get as many people on the air as possible without having the ability or skill as possessed by many of the other classes they realise they'd messed up, had to change it all again and allow those with a B and novice B full access to everything like the foundation licence but keep the power at 50w..A/B you can just bugger off and now you can get a full ticket and while they're at it they will offer to swap out that M5 callsign for an M0 so the holders now look like proper amateurs that did a proper 12wpm test.

phew they managed all that without losing any money and making the hobby 'great'
and the only people who benefited at first were the newcomers or those who couldn't or wouldn't progress..

and people still aren't happy and want it all for nothing.
it's not like anyone pays for a licence any more, so heck, run what ya brung, no one gives a sh1t..!!
5973Laterz
Regular
Regular

Post by 5973Laterz »

bigpimp347 wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 19:30
5973Laterz wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 11:33

so you want 100w but don't want to earn it ??
do what the foundation licence holders do, just run 100w no one will notice or care.

i mean going that extra mile so you can run your radio on full power, been a CBer long ??
you can work the world on 10w even less, if you think using 100w gets you more contact you should stick with CB and get a burner.
not bother looking at your set up and making it more efficient and effective.

What next if you've held a dimwits foundation for 15 years or more just give them 100w as well ??

you want it, you earn it.
What you wrote is not what I said, you read what I said took offence for some unknown reason and then
just blew it out of wildly out of proportion seemingly through anger.

Neither do I agree with your commentary about Foundation holders, you own that wording.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

5973Laterz wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 12:10

What you wrote is not what I said, you read what I said took offence for some unknown reason and then
just blew it out of wildly out of proportion seemingly through anger.

Neither do I agree with your commentary about Foundation holders, you own that wording.
Ok then, try this..

you want more power (all for nothing)
what do those that have already pulled their fingers out and gain the right to use more power, what do they get ??

the foundation already has full band access, so give them 100w (as most already seem use)
what about those out there on say 50w the intermediate ? what you giving them ?
what about those that actually did an RAE and a CW test, they already have 400w and the same band privileges as a foundation, but what you going to give them ??

imagine if we all had to pay £15 a year for a licence, you'd be wanting discount because you only have 10w compared to someone who has 400w.

i say get rid of the foundation and all the wingers and moaners free loaders and make them earn their bands and power limits.
5973Laterz
Regular
Regular

Post by 5973Laterz »

Maybe Foundation and Intermediates have to gain Bigimps honourary welcome handshake and the Full licence holders
don't have to endure you taking your knickers off an showing your ars*. :lol:

Might be a good starting point.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

bigpimp347 wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 12:42 here's a real crazy idea....

drop the foundation all together.
bring back a two part RAE style test.
limit the licence to above HF only.
to gain access to HF introduce a HF based only test,

and what about actually paying a yearly fee for a licence ??

i wonder if the numbers of passes will drop or the standards of the operators will increase ;)
Yep agreed.
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

T0sser ???????????
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

Alan Pilot wrote: 07 May 2021, 20:35 T0sser ???????????
:lol:
love your familly
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

I don't know you're asking the question..
You tell us :)
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

bigpimp347 wrote: 08 May 2021, 15:50
I was just reading some Bull 5hit and the word came to mind.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Alan Pilot wrote: 08 May 2021, 15:54
bigpimp347 wrote: 08 May 2021, 15:50
I was just reading some Bull 5hit and the word came to mind.
You'll get use to the truth hurting or people not being able to handle facts.
There's quite a few people to scared to say what the feel, so feel free to let it all out.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I think it all needs updating. Considering anybody can run 12 watts legally AM/SSB on 11 meters but foundation license holders can only run 10 watts on Ham bands.

We are in 2021 now I think foundation license holders should be given 50 watts

Intermediate license holders should be given 400 watts

Full license holders should be given 4 Kw

When I was a foundation license holder I didn't have any plans to progress and not everybody does. I took the intermediate exam just so I could use a bit more power, I've only ever used 35 watts but most of the time its less than 20 watts. I can do pretty well on just 5 watts but sometimes higher power is needed. The only thing I don't like about the intermediate is the 2E0 call sign.