Sangean ATS 803A lockup

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Sangean ATS 803A lockup

Post by bigbassman »

Hi.Ive just unearthed my Sangean which has been lying for over a year with only the memory batteries in situ.I got some new 'D' cells today and some AAs,put them in and the radio is only showing 0:00 with the colon flashing.It will not switch on or do anything else.Now Ive heard that these radios can be awkward when theyve been left for a while,so I tried a 9v DC wall wart,centre -ve,and its the same thing.
Is it knackered or savable? Thanks.
2 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 1 X Yaesu FRG 100 Uniden 125 XLT LCL 2740.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Sangean ATS 803A lockup

Post by Mikel »

I had one of these, but is was the Dixons badged version (Matsui MR4099) and Tandy did a version as well (Realistic DX-440) that I wanted but they never seemed to be in stock in my local store.

Bought mine from Dixons in Queen street Cardiff in the 80's and I think it cost me about £140 but I unfortunately lost it in a move a few years back.

I seem to remember the display getting corrupted occasionally and I used to take all the batteries out including the memory ones and disconnect from the mains for an hour or so or maybe overnight and all seemed to be fine for a bit then.

Apart from that I don't know what to suggest, maybe its knackered but i'm sure it could be saved.

Maybe try posting on the Vintage radio forum if no one on here can help?
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Photo Collector CB RADIO
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Thanks Claude, fascinating. Wish I'd kept mine but I think taking it camping didn't do it any favours - rain, cheap cider, smoke, Blazing Saddles style flatulence, even floated down a river for a while in one of my panniers when one fell off the back of my bike when crossing a footbridge.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by bigbassman »

OK guys,thanx for the input.I finally got it to work,but was a bit worried to start with as,even with the batteries removed,and on DC power from a wall wart,it was showing the same symptoms.I left it overnight twice without batteries,and yesterday when I installed them,the screen showed random numbers and shapes.I was ready to give up and decided to try the wall wart once more.The clock came on very dim,but it would still not power up.I left it for a couple of hours and then tried again.switched it on and it came on OK.I then re-installed the batteries while it was still powered up from the W/W,and it stayed on.I disconnected the W/W and everything is now tickety-boo.What a palaver!I'm dreading the next time.
PS It is a Matsui MR4009 like yours Mikel.I just put Sangean,as its easier to recognise the model :)
Thanx for showing interest guys.
2 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 1 X Yaesu FRG 100 Uniden 125 XLT LCL 2740.