Here's a good one.

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Here's a good one.

Post by Andy »

Trendy lamp interferes with airport radio: apparently aircraft approaching Glasgow airport have been suffering some powerful radio interference, full story here:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/la ... ence-issue.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Re: Here's a good one.

Post by Tigersaw »

I used to liaise with ofcom regarding air traffic interference, usually Gatwick or Southampton.
Ofcom were good, they usually found the source, which was more often than not TV mast head amplifiers gone rogue after getting water ingress. Some notable others were a fridge in a caravan and a bug found hidden in a bedroom ( figure that one out :) )
However, Ofcoms' favourite anecdote was the biscuit factory. It was many years ago and I can't even remember where, but the flight path went over this factory and aircraft were sometimes getting bad interference. Turns out biscuits are baked at high speed using induction ovens, each type has its own particular program to control heat, speed etc. Whenever the hob nobs were being done that's when the interference occurred.
The factory had to tweak the recipe and bake procedure to resolve it.