Intermediate reference material

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
DrumGeek
Regular
Regular

Intermediate reference material

Post by DrumGeek »

Anyone done their Intermediate exam recently?
Just wondering if you are supplied with the resistor colour codes on a chart, or if you're expected to memorize them?

Thanks...
Uniden UBCD3600XLT| Uniden UBC780 XLT | Commtel COM215 | Realistic Pro-35 | Realtek RTL820 SDR x4 | SDR Play RSP2 | PiAware/Flightaware ADS-B Receiver | Yaesu FT-891 | Yaesu FT-817ND | Wouxun KG-UV8D | Tytera MD-380 | Anytone AT-D868UV
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Re: Intermediate reference material

Post by Mitch »

I don't remember being supplied with a reference card for the exam, but I knew them already (worked in elecrtonics). You should memorise them too if you can, it's not hard.
The perfect face for radio.
nerdsville

Post by nerdsville »

You are expected to memorise them. Copies of all the reference data for all the exams is under the "Examination Documentation" on the RSGB website https://rsgb.org/main/clubs-training/forms/
DrumGeek
Regular
Regular

Post by DrumGeek »

Ok thanks all.
I'm a complete beginner with circuits and components so already have a lot to remember unfortunately.
I was hoping that would be one less thing to remember!

Doing a short course with my local club in the next few weeks then the exam at the end of the month, so hopefully it'll all stay in my head :crazy:
Uniden UBCD3600XLT| Uniden UBC780 XLT | Commtel COM215 | Realistic Pro-35 | Realtek RTL820 SDR x4 | SDR Play RSP2 | PiAware/Flightaware ADS-B Receiver | Yaesu FT-891 | Yaesu FT-817ND | Wouxun KG-UV8D | Tytera MD-380 | Anytone AT-D868UV
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Post by 26TM944 »

There was an awful un PC way to remember them when I was at college. You could never use the rhyme nowadays.

But as others have said you need to remember them - not as bad as some colour cable layouts as resisters tend not to change between manufacturers!

But good luck with the '20' exam.
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
nerdsville

Post by nerdsville »

26TM944 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 08:14 There was an awful un PC way to remember them when I was at college. You could never use the rhyme nowadays.
:twisted: A quick google for BBROYGBVGW tells you all

Yes good luck and from memory and what I've heard from others there is nearly always one question, and only one on resistor and they often add in tolerances, so could give you colour code and ask you to say what value could that resistor have with the correct answer being in the +/-10% or 5% and visa versa what colour code could a resistor of xx ohms have
GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Post by GaryWilson »

I did a little chant and broke it down in to three's "black Brown Red" then "orange Yellow Green" etc and kept repeating it until it just sunk in :D

73's Gary.
26CT1836 2E0GGQ
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Youngsters at school now get prompts for virtually everything - they don't need to remember things. They get reminders of the actual formulas - Boyle's Law, Ohm's Law etc etc Even the value of Pi is detailed on the paperwork, so they don't need to remember these things and when an exam expect them to - they're stuffed. Even the colour one ROYGBIV is detailed, along with other things older folk had to remember. SOHCAHTOA in trigonometry, for example. There was one of those "Richard of York Gave Battle" things for the resistor code, but I cannot remember it.
DrumGeek
Regular
Regular

Post by DrumGeek »

Thanks all for the help.
I'm by no means a youngster, but somehow have never really had a need to know about components and circuits. To be honest I'm not really interested in the whole construction side of things but it is material I need to know for the exam.

Cheers...