Ex police Tetra radios

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Ex police Tetra radios

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Who mentioned RNLI-St Johns ect??

Nothing at all sad about taking the p outta Raynet and their Waltish 'activities' though....
When a group of self appointed channel bobbies jump on simplex frequency (S21) im chatting on then proclaim to all n sundry it 'belongs' to them (Raynet) and we have to 'shift' then it kinda gets my back up.

Needless to say we didnt move an laddo with his mickey mouse callsign was ignored...

Some of their operating practices and attitudes need sorting
NiCdeth

Post by NiCdeth »

Mattylad wrote:Raynet.... :)
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that... Not that I've seen any sporting TETRA stuff, yet.

2/70 is dead here, they are welcome to it. As long as they don't mind people putting the feed on the internet.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

I was having a joke - hence the smiley at the end. :)

Of course Raynet and other volunteer services can & have done a wonderful job.
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

ive heard that unless tetra radios are on a serious network of cell repeaters and by serious I mean lots and expensive, then as back to back units they are pretty much useless unless you can actually see the guy your talking to, is this correct or internet myth???
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

OFCOM list of Tetra Airwave users:

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/ ... ations.pdf

Makes you laugh, my local council Trading Standards are on that list - what a waste of money!
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

zippy wrote:ive heard that unless tetra radios are on a serious network of cell repeaters and by serious I mean lots and expensive, then as back to back units they are pretty much useless unless you can actually see the guy your talking to, is this correct or internet myth???
They are indeed pretty crap in DMO.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Arrkon
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6RPV

Post by Arrkon »

Mikel wrote:OFCOM list of Tetra Airwave users:

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/ ... ations.pdf

Makes you laugh, my local council Trading Standards are on that list - what a waste of money!
I honestly can't understand why half of those users are on the net, offloading them would surely help with supporting the network for the "true" emergency services...
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

I don't think they have any problems with capacity on airwave though, so for airwave it's better to have more paying users.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

They're on the list because it makes sense for them to be able to communicate simply. It doesn't mean they have free access to everything, but if the local council dealing with emergency flooding need to talk to any of the emergency services on site - it makes sense for them to be able to do so, doesn't it?
scottyboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by scottyboy »

a lot of councils run the cctv systems and have airwave base radios in the cctv control room to talk directly to police.
my local council have 2 cm9000 base radios installed in the cctv control room but no other services of the council use airwave, so they are on the sharers list for that purpose alone.
2M0SRM

Quansheng tg-uv2
yaesu FT-7900E
Motorola DP3600 UHF + VHF
MTH800
MTP850s
SRH3800
CM-9000
MTM5400
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

Post by Scott_93 »

There's no "Ex police" radio's out there. When they're disposed off, they have to be ridden of their entire firmware, some get reflashed with clear firmware at depot and some just plainly get destroyed. The reflashed ones appear from time to time. In general, there shouldn't be any TEA2 (public safety only) equipped handsets in the publics hands.

Depending on the set you get they aren't usually calibrated in DMO mode at factory, meaning they put out stupidly low power in DMO, they have to be calibrated using the service software and a power meter to make them more useful. Of course, DMO repeaters exist to open up the range a little more than what it would be handset to handset.

There's a number of private TMO networks in the UK at the minute, I believe there's one in Oldham, Manchester used by the council and some of their contractors, there's a shopwatch/pubwatch system in use in Wales and possibly a few airports that have replace their old AIRradio trunked nets. When the Commonwealth games was on, there was a TETRA network set up to provide all the comms inside the stadium that was linked together, as well as a MPT1327 system for riggers.

TETRA is less useful without a network, and is still getting rather old now when you look at when the original standards were written. I can remember GMP first trialing TETRA before the Commonwealth games in 2002 (where it failed and was redeployed fully countywide around 2003 if I recall correctly). Lancs police were using TETRA around the same time too. The MET caught up eventually ;)

The Airwave sharers list is as stated before, just a list of people who can get access to the network, but usually is just used to communicate onto the network, council control rooms being a great example. Sometimes it's just for emergency planning. Mountain rescue teams and HM Coastguard have access, but generally use VHF for intra-team comms. Depending on the way it's mapped, and where it comes from, you can only have access to a few talkgroups that aren't much interesting.

TETRA is just another mode, just so happened to win over a lot of public safety and governments at the time, mainly due to the way it could be networked and how advanced it was for it's time.

Scott.